Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-13-08, 05:56 PM   #13
Ralph

Default Re: Firefox muuuch faster with VESA drivers, than nv !!

The funny thing is that this (Firefox + Flash + nVidia) problem is reproducible even on this forum!

How to reproduce:

From Firefox open two or more tabs on this forum and try to scroll the page;
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 06:34 PM   #14
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy

btw. I tried KDE4 on a friend's laptop which has a GF7600mobile - its unuseable.
Thats not how it should be, especially not for such an expensive card!
A lot of the kde4 devs already use it ...none of them must have discrete gfx solutions because I fail to see how one can be productive with the hideous sluggishness... even scrolling the terminal is painful. Granted kde from trunk is slightly snappier in window management but inside the windows its like watching paint dry (heh..which literally seems to be happening in resize operations).

The only explanation that I have heard related to this is the fact that Qt4 is using some obscure render operation (a lot) which nvidia won't accelerate cos its not commonly used. This could be a lie from angry kde4 nvidia users but it seems to make sense
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-08, 02:11 AM   #15
hyfans

just did some experiments:

on freebsd 7+ 169.xxx nv driver+ firefox 2+opera.

scrolling is much better than in linux in default configuration.

performance is even better when using initpixmap=2 option.

strange enough to see that.
hyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 06:05 AM   #16
pawels133

@hyfans

Do you have flash player installed on your Linux box?
As far as I know there's no flash player available on freebsd.
pawels133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 02:52 PM   #17
Grogan

I have an 8800GTS and I find 2D performance to be decent for everything I use anyways. (No flash plugin here... I don't tolerate that rubbish polluting my web browsing).

I use Firefox exclusively and the scrolling is fine. (certainly better than with nv). In fact even though I have it using XFT and Pango, it's about the same scrolling performance as Firefox in Windows. I use Xorg 7.1 here and Nvidia 169 series drivers on x86_64.

Last time I booted with a livecd that used a framebuffer X server I found scrolling horrible.
Grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 04:02 PM   #18
pawels133

I have framebufer turned off and I'm not using flashplayer, because it realy sux. On 6800 Konqueror and firefox 2 are almost unusable. They're starting to slow down when I open just a few tabs and sometimes they crash.
pawels133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 05:32 PM   #19
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan
I have an 8800GTS and I find 2D performance to be decent for everything I use anyways. (No flash plugin here... I don't tolerate that rubbish polluting my web browsing).

I use Firefox exclusively and the scrolling is fine. (certainly better than with nv). In fact even though I have it using XFT and Pango, it's about the same scrolling performance as Firefox in Windows. I use Xorg 7.1 here and Nvidia 169 series drivers on x86_64.

Last time I booted with a livecd that used a framebuffer X server I found scrolling horrible.
I find that people with really fast desktop cards are less likely to notice the slowdown for a few reasons.

1) render uses the 3d engine of the card so fast card = fewer render being slow issues

2)powermizer, a lot of people now have laptop cards and powermizer does not react well to 2d acceleration. When my card is forced at max speed I notice everything is noticeably snappier (not using any compositing either)

So currently If you have a not so powerful card and/or a laptop card then 2d performance is going to be less than respectable.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 06:09 PM   #20
Linuxhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txf
1) render uses the 3d engine of the card so fast card = fewer render being slow issues
Currently it does seem that per-primitive overhead is far more dominant than a slow 3D engine is.

There is almost no difference between a geforce6150 and a 8800GTX when it comes down to XRender accaleration, and a lot operations rely partly on the CPU (e.g. aa trapezoid rendering). So for now it seems the limiting factor is still the driver. Many people report performance problems with the 8xxx series while the 7xxx series ran fast enough.

lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-08, 08:49 PM   #21
ledoc

Personally, I slowly get the impression the nvidia guys don't give a damn. Meanwhile, almost every second thread is about this crappy render performance..
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote