Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-08, 09:19 AM   #1
Driim

Default Escalating problems with 8600gt in ubuntu 7.10 amd64

I've been struggling to get 8600gt graphics card working on ubuntu 7.10 amd64 for about a week now, with limited success.

In the beginning I had limited success: I installed the nvidia drivers through ubuntu's restricted drivers manager (100.14.19 was the version it installed, I presume). Most things worked without too much hassle, I even got twinview working on tvout. An unwelcome side effect was however that certain programs like mplayer and wine, ceased to function and just ended with a segmentation fault at startup. Not happy with this, I decided to to install the latest official drivers from the site (169.12).

I downloaded the drivers and proceeded to continue as per the sticky post in this forum. The script ran fine up until some checkups regarding the 32bit combatability checks or some such. I don't have the log anymore, but it complained about expecting to find /usr/lib32/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1, but finding /usr/lib32/libnvidia-tls.so.1 instead. I checked and saw that both were present. I ran the script with '--uninstall' and both files were removed. A rerun of the script ended up in the same error. Despite the error I tried changing the driver in xorg.conf from 'nv' to 'nvidia'. It ended up in low graphics mode. So back to 'nv' it was.

As a side note, the only way to get rid of the previously mentioned segmentation faults was to purge nvidia drivers and re-installing libgl1-mesa-glx. Even though they still did not have full functionality, but at least they started up.

After the manual install escapade I decided to return back to the repository nvidia drivers. So I used the uninstall switch for the script and installed the old drivers through synaptic. But the situation had gotten worse and even those would not work now. Not even with the backed up xorg.conf from when nvidia drivers previously worked.

So no nvidia drivers work for me currently. If I switch the drivers from system-> administration->screens&graphics to nvidia and press 'test' it just fails and leaves such an error in Xorg.9.log:

II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(**) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system, and
(EE) NVIDIA(0): that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Also attached is the output of nvidia-bug-report. So, I'd appreciate if anybody had any ideas (that I have nto tried yet) to salvage the situation. Ultimately I'd like to have nvidia drivers working (with twinview) along with mplayer, wine and so. Although getting the nvidia drivers working again would be a good step forward.

Feel free to ask for extra information, I'm sure to have forgotten something with such a rambling post.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.gz (36.9 KB, 104 views)
Driim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 11:01 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Escalating problems with 8600gt in ubuntu 7.10 amd64

Quote:
Mar 18 14:58:26 valtti kernel: [ 1503.015734] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 100.14.19, but
Mar 18 14:58:26 valtti kernel: [ 1503.015736] NVRM: this kernel module has the version 169.12. Please
Mar 18 14:58:26 valtti kernel: [ 1503.015737] NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
Mar 18 14:58:26 valtti kernel: [ 1503.015739] NVRM: components have the same version.
The driver has conflicting versions of files installed, indicating that 169.12 wasn't properly uninstalled. Did you forget to rmmod the module after installing the Ubuntu package?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 11:22 AM   #3
Driim

Quote:
The driver has conflicting versions of files installed, indicating that 169.12 wasn't properly uninstalled. Did you forget to rmmod the module after installing the Ubuntu package?
I am still relatively ignorant of linux in general, so yes, the thought did not even cross my mind. So what next? Purge the drivers, rmmod nvidia and reinstall them?

edit: Did try that, still no go with nvidia drivers, but the screen was not as garbled as previously even though still in low graphics mode.
Old 03-18-08, 01:27 PM   #4
Driim

Noticed one more thing: 'Test' through screens and graphics still gives exactly same bad response, but if using the Restricted Drivers Manager again yeilds a somewhat promising looking log, even if the result is no good. If I decipher the log correctly, everything seems to me identified and going ok until some strange crash.
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.9.log (26.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 03-18-08, 02:17 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

This crash is caused by the driver being linked against the wrong TLS library. On modern systems, the driver should be picking up /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 and not the one in /usr/lib. The fact that the installer's sanity check fails and the X driver is picking up the wrong libnvidia-tls.so.1 indicates that your dynamic loader is broken. I would recommend looking for help from the Ubuntu community.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 03:03 PM   #6
Driim

Ok, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

edit: although for me that doesn't explain why the repository drivers wont work. And having thought about what to do next: I have no idea. It's a bit over my head.