Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-24-08, 03:49 PM   #1
Redmumba

Default Wine/WoW Problems (with 171.06)

I've been having off and on again problems with WoW's "dual TMU" error (browse around for details, its everywhere); however, none of the solutions have worked. Yes, direct rendering is enabled:

Code:
[redmumba@tessa Desktop]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

[redmumba@tessa Desktop]$ wine --version
wine-0.9.57
And yes, all kernel modules are compiled, etc., etc.. This problem is SPECIFIC to World of Warcraft, and I know its capable of playing it because I've had it running before on different installs. In fact, I've had it running under both 32- and 64-bit versions, with the 169.12 drivers. I am running a 64-bit kernel right now, with the 171.06 beta drivers, and even though all desktop effects work and 3D acceleration works elsewhere, WoW still won't start. Downgrading as far as 169.04 doesn't help either.

Tried it with Compiz, without Compiz, on its own X server ,etc..

Has anybody actually gotten rid of the dual TMU error message...? And based off other people's experiences, this is a driver specific problem, which is why I posted here instead of Wine's boards. As far as distribution info goes, I am running the latest ArchLinux distro, with a custom 2.6.24 kernel for my Thinkpad.

Redmumba
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (140.9 KB, 80 views)
Redmumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 05:22 PM   #2
Redmumba

Default Re: Wine/WoW Problems (with 171.06)

Nevermind, I solved it.

For those of you using ArchLinux, the re-compiled libraries for 171.06 are available here:

http://www.btinternet.com/~brebs/arc..._64.pkg.tar.gz

Many, many thanks to brebs from the ArchLinux forums for making this available!

Redmumba
Old 03-25-08, 02:41 AM   #3
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmumba
I've been having off and on again problems with WoW's "dual TMU" error (browse around for details, its everywhere); however, none of the solutions have worked. Yes, direct rendering is enabled:

Code:
[redmumba@tessa Desktop]$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

[redmumba@tessa Desktop]$ wine --version
wine-0.9.57
And yes, all kernel modules are compiled, etc., etc.. This problem is SPECIFIC to World of Warcraft, and I know its capable of playing it because I've had it running before on different installs. In fact, I've had it running under both 32- and 64-bit versions, with the 169.12 drivers. I am running a 64-bit kernel right now, with the 171.06 beta drivers, and even though all desktop effects work and 3D acceleration works elsewhere, WoW still won't start. Downgrading as far as 169.04 doesn't help either.

Tried it with Compiz, without Compiz, on its own X server ,etc..

Has anybody actually gotten rid of the dual TMU error message...? And based off other people's experiences, this is a driver specific problem, which is why I posted here instead of Wine's boards. As far as distribution info goes, I am running the latest ArchLinux distro, with a custom 2.6.24 kernel for my Thinkpad.

Redmumba
I run WoW with 171.06 since they came out and never had any problem with the 'TMU error' you are saying, I've not even heard it! So probably it was some error in the precompiled drivers your distribution provided since I always use the ones from NVIDIA.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 09:51 AM   #4
Redmumba

Yeah, the problem was that the libraries were out of date. The link I posted contains the compiled drivers for 171.06.