Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-08, 03:42 PM   #1
Tunix

Unhappy 169.12: X still can't be restarted in a resumed system

Version 169.12 still crashes my system if X gets restarted in a resumed system (which happens as soon as you log out from a GDM managed X session). The screen turns black and although there is still some hard disk activity, it isn't possible to log in via SSH anymore. Existing SSH sessions freeze immediately as well. That's why I can't provide a postmortem report log. There is no such issue with the open "nv" driver from X.org, so it's definitely triggered by the commercial driver.

I've attached two bug report logs. One which has been created after logging in (before a suspend) and one which has been made directly after awakening the machine.

In case you experience some form of deja vu: Yes, I wrote a quite similar bug report two months ago. Since I haven't got an answer, yet, I presume that either this bug is very hard to fix or nobody really cared What exactly can be done to support the debugging process of this issue?

Hardware: Dell Latitude D620, Quadro NVS 110M, Core 2 Duo T7200, i945PM, 2GB RAM (Dual Channel), latest BIOS (A09) is installed
Software: Ubuntu 8.04-alpha (i386 arch), stock kernel 2.6.24-11-generic, X.org server 1.4.0.90, prepackaged Nvidia driver (169.12)
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-logs.tar.gz (52.4 KB, 94 views)
Tunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 11:44 PM   #2
Tunix

Lightbulb Re: 169.12: X still can't be restarted in a resumed system

It seems I have solved the problem, although the solution is rather odd. If the BIOS setup is locked by a password, restarting the X Server fails on a resumed system. If I remove the password, restarting X works. I found this out by accident. After reading through a backlight related device information file for HAL, I stumbled across a comment which recommends the removal of any BIOS passwords in order to make backlight brightness controllable by software. The reason is that the backlight of my Dell Latitude isn't controlled by ACPI but by SMBIOS which is somehow "protected" by these passwords. It looks like setting a password also has side effects on the suspend process of the video hardware. Placing voodoo dolls around my laptop couldn't be odder...
Tunix is offline   Reply With Quote