Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-03-08, 06:44 PM   #1
HaVoK-G2

Default EVGA 790i & Thermalright Ultima 90 Problem

New PC Parts finally arrived today! (Thanks to nvnews members who helped me out earlier in confirming good parts) But of course something had to stop me in my tracks when beginning to build it.

Unfortunately The multi-backplate that comes with the Thermalright Ultima-90 hits a couple of the screws from the Motherboard's Heat dissipater / Heat pipe that circles around the processor socket.

I'm not really sure what to do except to either drill through the backplate so the motherboard heat dissipater screws can fit through, or cut back the backplate around the areas that hit the screws. They are raised abit by some kind of black spacer on the back aswell. (I don't want to weaken or ruin the backplate though)

I looked at the possibility of backing the two screws out, removing the spacers and screwing them in as far as I could into the heat dissipater, but they are special spring loaded springs, the top half is threaded and then the bottom half is smooth and abit wider then the top half.

If anyone has any ideas, or alternatives let me know please.
Thanks, torturous to have the pieces sitting here and not get it together!
HaVoK-G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 07:05 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: EVGA 790i & Thermalright Ultima 90 Problem

Modifying the backplate would be the easiest. If you drill those holes exactly you shouldn't have to worry about weakening it, that's a pretty solid backplate and the 90 is pretty light.
Old 04-03-08, 07:25 PM   #3
HaVoK-G2

I turned the backplate 90 degrees and the screwholes still line up with the motherboard. This way it only hits one of the motherboards screws slightly. Is it safe to mount it this way if I simply shaved off abit of metal so that it would fit?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-08, 08:16 PM   #4
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoK-G2
I turned the backplate 90 degrees and the screwholes still line up with the motherboard. This way it only hits one of the motherboards screws slightly. Is it safe to mount it this way if I simply shaved off abit of metal so that it would fit?

Thanks for your help.
it should be. tbh, you could take off a decent amount of that backplate and still probably be ok.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 09:17 PM   #5
HaVoK-G2

Ended up using a metal file on that corner that was hitting and it works great now. Now onto building! Thanks!