Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-08, 10:25 AM   #1
4Aces

Default Hey Nvidia what happened with the MATX?

First let me say I really only use Nforce based motherboards because I think they're the best balance of stability, performance and ease of use. But these new matx 7000 series boards have me baffled. They are all single channel memory, why? There's not many arguments that are going to make me think it's not a performance hit. And the layout of the pci-e and pci slots, what happened there? move the pci-e 1x closest to the chipset and the pci-e 16x right next to the pci slots? There's still not alot of useful pci-e 1x cards out there or they're twice the cost of the pci equivalent. So why crowd the useful slots in an already crowded enviroment which will only compound heat and noise. Something that the target customer (HTPC and business) might not be all that interested in.
4Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 10:08 PM   #2
Libertysyclone
I Lie about MPG

Send a message via MSN to Libertysyclone
Default Re: Hey Nvidia what happened with the MATX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Aces
First let me say I really only use Nforce based motherboards because I think they're the best balance of stability, performance and ease of use. But these new matx 7000 series boards have me baffled. They are all single channel memory, why? There's not many arguments that are going to make me think it's not a performance hit. And the layout of the pci-e and pci slots, what happened there? move the pci-e 1x closest to the chipset and the pci-e 16x right next to the pci slots? There's still not alot of useful pci-e 1x cards out there or they're twice the cost of the pci equivalent. So why crowd the useful slots in an already crowded enviroment which will only compound heat and noise. Something that the target customer (HTPC and business) might not be all that interested in.
Yup single channel, but if all you use in Nforce then you know how good their memory controller is and they are within 15% speed as a dual channel Intel MATX board single vs Dual channel. I dont see people using these for workstations so I dont see a noticeable performance hit. (I have a 630i/7150)

as far as layout, I dont see an issue? PCI cards dont put off a ton of heat so it shouldnt make that much of a difference.

and these boards range from $40-$75 which for what they are is amazing IMO.