Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-04-08, 03:47 AM   #1
edhunterbg

Unhappy Cant get X running on 7-Stable/i386! (with both 162.12 or xf86-nv-2.1.8)

Hello guys
Here I have a new pc with Intel Core 2 Duo E6700, P35 motherboard, 4GB RAM and Nvidia 8800GT.
I have decided to use i386 version of freebsd, because of nvidia driver

here is short list of details:
New installation of freebsd 7 (snapshot 200803), source updated and world and kernel rebuilded 3.apr.2008
ports also from 4.apr.2008
nvidia-driver from ports version 169.12
linux_base-fc-4_10

I have limited my memory with hw.physmem=2147482624 in /boot/loader.conf
I have used nvidia-xconfig.
Starting X results in black screen and pc locks, I have to reboot it manually!

I gaved up and deinstalled nvidia-driver.
I installed xf86-video-nv-2.1.8 X.Org nv display driver.
But now trying to X -configure results in.
Code:
(EE) NV(0): G80 PROBE_DETECT unimplemented
Why is that i have G92...

So I cant run X neither with open source nv driver, neither with nvidia-driver 169.12
What else I can try? Need help!
10x in advance

p.s.
here is additional info:
Code:
[root@geo ~]# uname -a
FreeBSD geo.pulsar.bg 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Thu Apr  3 01:03:27 EEST 2008     root@geo.pulsar.bg:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GEO  i386
Code:
[root@geo ~]# cat /boot/loader.conf
hw.physmem=2147482624
snd_hda_load="yes"
ichsmb_load="yes"
linux_load="yes"
nvidia_load="yes"
Code:
[root@geo ~]# cat /etc/make.conf
CPUTYPE?=core2
KERNCONF=GEO
WITHOUT_IP6=yes
WITHOUT_IPV6=yes
NO_IPV6=yes
NO_IP6=yes
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
edhunterbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 05:20 AM   #2
SirDice

Default Re: Cant get X running on 7-Stable/i386! (with both 162.12 or xf86-nv-2.1.8)

Not sure what the problem could be but there are a few things you can try....

Does your kernel have a "device agp"? Try removing it and use the one build-in the nvidia driver.
Does it work with a GENERIC kernel? Try removing the CPUTYPE in make.conf.

Are you sure the machine locks up? I've had some issues in the past where X would consume 99% cpu and the keyboard/mouse was unresponsive but I could still login using ssh.

As for a black screen, is the monitor setup correctly in xorg.conf?
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 05:53 AM   #3
edhunterbg

Default Re: Cant get X running on 7-Stable/i386! (with both 162.12 or xf86-nv-2.1.8)

Hi
10x for answer

I use custom kernel, based on GENERIC with little changes
device agp is removed in my kernel.
tonight i'll try without entry for cputype in make.conf
I am completly sure that machine locks up, because it doesnt respond when I press power button.
I have not configured monitor in my xorg.conf, but I thing I dont have to do it, in the past the monitor has worked ok without making specific entries for it in xorg.conf. (X get parameters for modes from DCC).
Old 04-04-08, 08:06 AM   #4
SirDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhunterbg
I am completly sure that machine locks up, because it doesnt respond when I press power button.
Hmm.. Last time I had that happen the mainboard itself was a goner..
Quote:
I have not configured monitor in my xorg.conf, but I thing I dont have to do it, in the past the monitor has worked ok without making specific entries for it in xorg.conf. (X get parameters for modes from DCC).
Yeah, that's what I meant. Let DCC figure out what to use. I just wanted to make sure, setting the frequencies to high would result in a black screen too.
Old 04-04-08, 10:43 AM   #5
edhunterbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDice
Hmm.. Last time I had that happen the mainboard itself was a goner..
Aaa nooo..

When i'm not in X, when i push button once the bsd initiates a shutdown.

When the X locked up my pc, pushin power button once - the machine doesnt start to shutdown. I have to hold power button to shut down the pc in this situaltion.
Old 04-05-08, 06:48 AM   #6
SirDice

Ah ok.. So the soft power off still works by holding the power button down for about 4 seconds?

My old mainboard would just freeze when I put some load on it (even without X).
Holding the power button down for 10 seconds wouldn't turn it off.
Heck, even the reset button didn't do anything anymore.

As for your lockups.. For the past week I've seen a lot of postings on the freebsd-x11 mailinglist. It seems there were some issues with moused, hal and xorg-server.
One issue that bit me was X detecting the same mouse twice the other are things fully locking up.

AFAIK this has been resolved after April 3rd so you could try updating your ports tree and rebuild hal and xorg-server.
Old 04-05-08, 08:59 AM   #7
edhunterbg

The problem is solved.... I removed 2 gigs and X now starts with nvidia driver ....
I was hoping that hw.physmem=2G is just like removing 2gigz out from my 4.
Old 04-07-08, 01:54 PM   #8
Harvey Pooka

Instead of removing memory, see if you can disable "memory remapping" in the BIOS. It helped me. I sent a bug report to nVidia about it. I believe they are waiting on a change or two in the FreeBSD kernel before they address the issue, but I really hope mention of this BIOS option ends up in the README.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-08, 02:38 AM   #9
edhunterbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Pooka
Instead of removing memory, see if you can disable "memory remapping" in the BIOS. It helped me. I sent a bug report to nVidia about it. I believe they are waiting on a change or two in the FreeBSD kernel before they address the issue, but I really hope mention of this BIOS option ends up in the README.
I have searched my BIOS for memory remaping or similar options, but such doesnt exist. Mobo is Gigabyte P35-DS4.
Old 04-08-08, 11:45 AM   #10
Harvey Pooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhunterbg
I have searched my BIOS for memory remaping or similar options, but such doesnt exist. Mobo is Gigabyte P35-DS4.
Maybe a BIOS update will have it. Some motherboards (i.e., Asus P5K-E/WiFi) do have it.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote