Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-08, 03:03 PM   #1
zacmarco

Default Laptop support for 9500M GS chip

Hi all.
I need to know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if I can buy a Laptop (ASUS) with a NVIDIA 9500M GS chip. For doing it, I need to know if they will be available 2D/3D accelerated drivers for Linux (2.6.x), and eventually WHEN they'll be available.
Because of the fact that this Notebook is strongly discounted for few days.

NVIDIA customer support told me that :

{{{
I am sorry to inform you that, as of now we don’t have the NVIDIA drivers for 9 series of graphics cards for laptops, i.e. for both Windows and the Linux Versions. If the laptop is shipped with the Linux OS then the driver will be provided by the laptop manufacturer.
I would also like to inform you that the display drivers for notebook GPU's are custom made for the notebook make and model they are used in to support some of the hot plug n play features your notebook supports. For this reason, the desktop Forceware display drivers which are available on our website will not work on your notebook. We are sorry; however you will have to contact your Laptop manufacturer.
}}}

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
zacmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 04:14 PM   #2
kthuno

Default Re: Laptop support for 9500M GS chip

It would be greatly appreciated in anyone had more infomation about this, as I'm expecting my new laptop with this GPU chip to be delivered on friday.

Not being able to use another OS than Windows would s*ck!
kthuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 03:24 AM   #3
zacmarco

Exclamation Re: Laptop support for 9500M GS chip

This is the first time I read that they are needed drivers customized by the Notebook manufacturer. And for other GPUs? Is it the same? Is there anyone who had a similar experience?
PLEASE HELP US!
Old 04-09-08, 06:32 PM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Hi zacmarco and kthuno,

There appears to have been some customer service confusion, which we have corrected. The GeForce 9500M GS GPU is supported by the 171.06 beta and 169.12 drivers available at http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html. Additionally, the NVIDIA Linux driver in general supports mobile systems; it is not necessary to contact the laptop manufacturer for NVIDIA Linux drivers. I apologize for the confusion.

Sincerely,
Aaron
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 03:59 AM   #5
kthuno

Thanks for that info Aaron. I specifically went for a NVidia chip and not an ATi this time because of NVidia's greater effort they put into unix drivers. So it would have bummed me out to see that my new laptop wouldnt have a proper display driver.

So thanks again.
kthuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-08, 08:00 AM   #6
zacmarco

Ok, but now thanks to the incorrect information, the offer for the PC I wanted to buy is ended. The next time, please be sure on what you are saying to customers. Or, please, be more rapid!

Thank you