Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-08, 07:46 AM   #1
sathia

Default 3 monitors, 1 8800 GTS and?

Hello I'm going to buy the third monitor for my pc,
I have at the moment 2 monitors linked to a 8800 GTS, my mainboard has only one slot PCI-E but I have some PCI free.

I'm a little puzzled, Can I attach a "simple" Nvidia PCI VGA card and use Xinerama with
2 cards?

this is what I'going to do.
Will I have to install a separate driver for the other VGA card or it will be enough to specify nvidia in the section?

is there a VGA card that you would advice for me?

thanks!
sathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 06:15 PM   #2
ricercar
fugue master

Arrow Re: 3 monitors, 1 8800 GTS and?

> Can I attach a "simple" Nvidia PCI VGA card and use Xinerama with 2 cards?
> .... is there a VGA card that you would advice for me?

Yes. Find an NVIDIA pci card.

Trying to get an AGP or PCI Express NVIDIA GPU to be stable with a PCI Radeon GPU in the same machine can be challenging. HOWEVER. (and this was not part of your question) if you want to run SLI plus a second display, you MUST drive that second display with a non-NVIDIA card. Currently turning on SLI still disables all non-SLI'd displays attached to any NVIDIA GPU in the same machine.

> Will I have to install a separate driver for the other VGA card...?

Yes re-install. No, not a separate driver.

For full performance and stability you will have to re-install the NVIDIA driver after both add-on cards are installed. The good news is that unless you have an ancient PCI NVIDIA card, the current drivers from nvidia.com work for both PCI and PCI Express cards. Example: Using SLI 8600 GTS and adding a PCI GeForce FX 5200 card required me to re-install the 16x.xx drivers after I added the PCI card.