Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-07, 01:33 PM   #1
fishonadish

Default No working resolution/sync modes with GeForce Go 8600M GT

Hi,

After installing the nvidia driver, I can only get a white screen; it seems the driver is using a resolution (or refresh/sync) that the screen doesn't support. The screen is a laptop screen with a max of 1280x800 resolution, and the card a geforce go 8600m gt (0407).

The problem appears to be with EDID not working (I assume this reports the available res etc.?). I got the following in the xorg log:

Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID read for display device DFP-0 is invalid: the
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     checksum for EDID version 1 is invalid.

(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "1280x800"; removing.
(WW) NVIDIA(0): 
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the default mode
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select".
(WW) NVIDIA(0): 
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 640 x 480
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device DFP-0's EDID; cannot compute DPI
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     from DFP-0's EDID.
So I tried adding a modeline to my xorg.conf and the option to disable EDID, but still can't get the driver to use a supported mode. Can anyone suggest how I can get the driver using the right mode?

I've attached a bug report run after setting useEDID to false and adding modelines. If a copy without my changes to the xorg.conf would help, let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (86.0 KB, 109 views)
fishonadish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 01:08 PM   #2
fishonadish

Default Re: No working resolution/sync modes with GeForce Go 8600M GT

Hi,

I've been able to use the 100.x drivers up until now by using Ubuntu, which continued to use that version in their repositories, but as distributions are updating to 169.x I thought I'd bring this up again. My card is supported according to the supported products list (http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html).

I'd rather not have to do a manual install of the 100.x driver every time there's a kernel update, and since my card is in the supported list I'm hoping there will be some way around this issue. If anyone can suggest a further course of action, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If there's any other info that might help to resolve this, let me know.

Thanks.
Fishonadish

Edit: The initial post above refers to the 169.x driver. I discovered afterwards that the problem doesn't occur with the older version.
fishonadish is offline   Reply With Quote