Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-08, 07:39 PM   #1
bitmage

Default Possible workaround for muticore crashes on 8800GT

I've posted multiple times about my lockup problems with an 8800GT on a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3/Core2Duo running FC7.

I've found a possible workaround (other than Nvidia's maxcpus=1 method).

By setting noapic as a kernel option, and disabling the irqbalance service I have been able to run for several days without a lockup. I can't be certain if this completely avoids the problem (ask me in a month), but this is much longer than the ~12 hours I used to go between lockups.

These changes result in all interrupts being handled by CPU0. I'm sure there's a performance hit, but it's less than completely disabling one of my CPU cores.

Hopefully this will help someone else, while waiting for Nvidia to fix the underlying issue.
bitmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 10:27 AM   #2
bitmage

Default Re: Possible workaround for muticore crashes on 8800GT

A week later I'm still working fine, with no crashes.

Definitely a better workaround than the maxcpus method.
Old 04-15-08, 01:18 PM   #3
tiftof

On my Ubuntu 7.10 setup I used the noapic and the nolapic option. But I also had adjusted "/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common" to disable nvidia nvidia-legacy and nvidia-new. And I emptied the file: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-nkc. That gave me a stable system with the latest driver.

Now I am using a clean install of the 8.04 beta and I didn't have to do anything. My system was stable from the beginning.
tiftof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 01:21 PM   #4
logan

maxcpus=1 never did anything for me. I've been using idle=poll for the last week and a half and played through Half Life 2, EP1, and EP2 in quick succession without any of the usual lockups. But this causes a busy wait, so my CPU (and consequently GPU) temps are up 7-12 degrees.

Did you try this recent configuration one at a time or just both at the same time? I've been using irqbalance for 2-3 weeks now and haven't noticed anything, certainly not while going through HL2.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-08, 03:58 PM   #5
bitmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan
Did you try this recent configuration one at a time or just both at the same time? I've been using irqbalance for 2-3 weeks now and haven't noticed anything, certainly not while going through HL2.
I had tried disabling irqbalance alone without success (still locked up). After adding the noapic option alone (irqbalance active), I was still seeing problems with X hanging on exit that made me suspect things still weren't happy. A look at /proc/interrupts still showed the second CPU handling some IRQ's.

Having both noapic and disabling irqbalance left all irqs being handled by CPU 0, and fixed the lockups, along with the X hangs on exit.

If maxcpus=1 didn't fix your issues, I don't know if this will do any good. My system was always rock-stable with one CPU disabled, the problems only appeared when both CPU's were active.