Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-03, 09:02 AM   #1
de><ta
prodigy

Default InstallSheild woes

Hi, i am trying to bypass the install shield setup on AVP2(Aliens vs Predator) .

Why you ask? Because i am trying to get it to run on linux (yes the lithtec engine does run fine on linux provided u set up the wine dll lookups correctly). You can get the source for the lithtec engine from Loki's CVS rep. I have even been able to get the window AVP2 demo running on linux (using the .prev files).

So far i have been able to get all the files out of the .hdr and the three .cab file systems. Does any one know how to assemble those darned files, currently it does not run at all on even windows. The lithtec engine is crashing stating that the game resuources are not available (the resources are all .rez file types). The resource files are all split, same file but in 3 different chunks (from the 3 different cabinet file systems). Another thing which confuses me is that all three cabinet file system have the exact (or similar) launchers for the game.

Can any one please help. If you know a site where i can get help could u please post a link. Thanks. I have been trying to contact the folks at loki but the only dude who replied does not know what to do. I also tried the mac game developers but they do not have a clue too.

Another request could some one with AVP2 post me the full directory structure of AVP2 (if u have it installed). Oh another think if u want to try to compile the lithec engine use std gcc and have the makefile link to the wine dll's.

Thanks,

dexta

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-03, 11:17 AM   #2
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

I just uninstalled my AVP2 today, great game. Anyway dont know if this will help but have you tried to just copy the whole AVP2 install files from windows on say 3disks then just paste it on you linux drive. That works on windows with a couple games might work on linux.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-03, 07:36 AM   #3
de><ta
prodigy

Yeah, I know what you mean. It works with quake 3 sort of games.

But i actually want to get by the Install Sheild program properly.
When i do use installSheild on windows, and then just transfer all the game files to my linux box not all the .dll and other game engine specific files are being transferred. I need to know all the files which are in the installShield package and what their structure is (ie. file directory and associations).

Part of the Loki files has a program for extracting the raw data from the cab files and the hdr file but the data does not seem correct. ie. the 3 different data files have the same file names but some have different sizes. I seem to be so close, i even got that autorun to work but the lithtec engine keeps erring stating that the resources are not valid.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote