Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-08, 10:01 AM   #1
kiri

Default Primary Display on Right hand side

I can't seem to set my primary display to be on the right (with secondary display on left) with correct functionality.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 and Nvidia driver 169.12.
My two displays are my laptop LCD, and external LCD screen connected via VGA cable.

Using nvidia-settings and saving the settings to my xorg.conf I can get the dual display setup fine if the primary display (external LCD) is set to be on the left. But if I try to set the primary display to be on the right, and secondary display on the left, upon restarting X all my icons are on the left screen (secondary) and other applications (like Avant Window Mangager) seem confused about where they should be.

Here is the relevant part of the xorg.conf file that I am trying to use to get this working:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce Go 7400"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1920+400; CRT: NULL, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+400; CRT: NULL, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
EndSection

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I have already spent a lot of time trying to get it to work with no success
kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 12:01 PM   #2
Tub

Default Re: Primary Display on Right hand side

"primary" and "secondary" on TwinView are just references to the port where the monitor is attached.

You'll have to tell your WindowManager / Desktop Environment which Monitor to use as the main monitor seperately.
Tub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 12:17 PM   #3
kiri

Default Re: Primary Display on Right hand side

Thanks for your reply Tub.
Unfortunately I cannot find any way to do this in Gnome.
I also tried it in KDE, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Perhaps nvidia-settings is overriding the DE settings, or maybe it is simply being set up from the xorg.. I have no idea.

I guess because the extended desktop in linux is one big desktop, so the icons are being thrown to the far left of the entire desktop rather than the far left of the actual monitor.
It should be relatively easy to solve this, but I cannot find a way to do it
kiri is offline   Reply With Quote