Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-08, 02:45 AM   #1
Heinzftw
Im 57 Flavors!!!

Default Notebook and express slots?!?

So I am going to be purchasing an Asus F8SN-D1 notebook and was wondering if there are any batteries at all that will fit into an express card slot? I wouldn't even care if its a 3cell battery. I just need something to supply more juice so I can keep the mobile gaming/class notes going and going and going...

Apexia Full Tower, Thermaltake 750 Watt Psu, Intel Q6600, Dual 8800GT's, Coolermaster Liquid Cpu Cooling, 3 Gb Corsair XMS2, Evga 780i Striker Motherboard, 2 X 160Gb Dual Hitachi Raid 0, Windows Xp Pro
3DMark06: 13,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
We're gonna need a bigger fence.
Heinzftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:22 AM   #2
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Notebook and express slots?!?

i dont know dude, i know if you are planning on gaming on one of the bigger ones, be prepared for VERY brief battery life, especially with the new games.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 06:48 AM   #3
dxx

It's not going to happen. Unless that particular laptop is wired specifically for the purpose, you cannot power it via the express card slot. The EC slot is made for devices, not batteries, and the circuitry isn't there for the system to work any other way. In the same way, you can't get PCI-E based UPS.

Your best options are to either buy a second battery (when the power runs low, set Windows to automatically hibernate, and you'll be able to boot back up to where you left off from with the new battery), or to go with one of the Dell systems that allow the media bay to hold an extra battery instead of an optical drive. Or, just take an AC adaptor with you. Or, when you're in class, just do work, rather than playing games. Which is probably the best plan.
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 03:45 PM   #4
Heinzftw
Im 57 Flavors!!!

Ahaha yeah, well thanks for the advice. I was just wondering if there were any batteries for the express slot. But anyways, I am definitely looking forward to this new laptop!!

Apexia Full Tower, Thermaltake 750 Watt Psu, Intel Q6600, Dual 8800GT's, Coolermaster Liquid Cpu Cooling, 3 Gb Corsair XMS2, Evga 780i Striker Motherboard, 2 X 160Gb Dual Hitachi Raid 0, Windows Xp Pro
3DMark06: 13,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
We're gonna need a bigger fence.
Heinzftw is offline   Reply With Quote