voltaicsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:24 AM   #110
kyleki

Default Re: Random freezes on Fedora 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaicsca
nevermind, just got another lockup.

back to one core
That's a real bummer. I just played through 5 hours of World of Warcraft (running in wine) without any hiccups at all. 169.04 really seemed to fix my problem. What boot options are you using when it hangs? Are you using compiz? What does your xorg.conf file look like?

For the record, mine is:
Code:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-49.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
* I'm not using compiz (or any other wm enhancements). Just stock gnome w/ metacity.
* (I had to add the .txt ext to the xorg.conf file attached for this forum)
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (1.3 KB, 160 views)
kyleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 08:30 AM   #111
charlus

Hi all,
i've been experiencing the same problems for a while on my Asus A600 Laptop with a dual Turion 64 bits and a Geforce GO 7600.
I recently upgraded to Fedora 8 and i'm still experiencing the problem.
I've reported the problem several times to Nvidia support and got the same reply every time : We don't have your hardware we cannot reproduce.
I've been using the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run for a while and got the problem.
I've tried the latest beta driver this morning ( NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.04-pkg2.run ) and got the usual lockup. It seems though that since I've upgraded to 2.6.23.8 kernel I'm getting a corrupted display more often ( display is totally garbled, I'm seing random lines on the screen ) and the system finally freezes.
I have to power down ( hard power down ) and reboot.... Basically I cannot use the computer with the nvidia drivers.
I've tried to downgrade to NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.09-pkg2.run but it does not compile against le latest kernels.

So my solution was to switch back to the nv driver and so far so good ....no lockup.
This is really a shame to have a high end graphic card and to be unable to use it !
charlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 05:26 PM   #112
voltaicsca

kyleeki,
things have gotten a lot better, but i still have the occasional lockup. the funny thing is that it never happens during gaming (i also play wow and have never had an issue with 3d graphics). i have been meaning to ssh in and make a bug report and look at system messages, but last time it happened and i remembered to do that, i had turned ssh off for diagnostic purposes ><
anyway, to answer your questions:
nothing special in boot options:
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3
xorg.conf is a mess, but fairly straightforward for a 3 monitor setup.
i too am running stock gnome, metacity, etc. no compiz.
i was playing around with compiz until i realized that it would not run under xinerama, which was a deal-breaker for me, so compositing is still enabled in xorg.conf. (probably should turn that off)

i think what i need to do is recompile everything on my system to all current libs and whatnot just to get a kind of 'square one' scenario and start from there as it almost seems like things might be on this end.

i'll post that bug report as soon as i can generate a lockup.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.txt (7.9 KB, 179 views)
Old 12-07-07, 04:07 AM   #113
voltaicsca

sorry, its just far too frustrating to keep running an unstable system. i switched back to single core.
i did, however notice that i got AMAZING lag in WoW when using dual core and the new driver. something i never got with the old driver and dual core. it was intermittent, and would range anywhere from ~0.5 seconds to ~3 seconds. made things unplayable.

i would really love some insight from nvidia about this. i have been entertaining the idea of getting new video cards (8000 series) but will not be doing so unless there is something about that architecture that is sure to make this problem go away. i notice that they specifically mention the 8k series in the beta driver notes, so i hope that they have tested stability on that particular build.

until then, i am begrudgingly running one core, and and short of a request from an nvidia rep for a bug report and at least some kind of commitment to fixing this problem, i will be of no futher help on this issue.

i buy nvidia because of your great linux support. when i bought my video cards, they were one price point away from top of the line, when i bought my 680i based motherboard, i spared no expense to get the best.
i expect top-of-the line products work, and i have not seen that since my most recent, and most expensive motherboard upgrade to date.
i'd really like some advice, nvidia.
Old 04-20-08, 04:19 PM   #114
werLd

Thanks NeoNecro this worked for me and I don't freeze up anymore. I had been trying a lot of different things and nothing worked until now. Funny thing is I was having a simular problem in windows but wiped windows completely for Ubuntu Gutsy.

Thanks again.

werLd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNecro
Hello,

I also have a similar problem, x freezes, can still move the mouse, sometimes it unfreezes, sometimes it doesn't. I started a thread here. I think it is conflict between ndiswrapper and the nvidia drivers. Is anybody else using ndiswrapper? It could also be a problem only with multicore processors.

I think I found a sollution, first make sure you are using 2.6.20 kernel (newer should also work, but didn't try it) and the latest bios for your motherboard. Then boot it with the following parameter: pci=usepirqmask.

I'm now using it for more then 2hours without freezes, and before this I run it a couple of hours in dual monitor mode for a couple of hours. But, when I open flash animations it sometimes freezes for a couple of seconds and then unfreezes again. Booting with nosmp could also help, but would give you a serious preformans downgrade.

UPDATE: still freezes after a while when watching flash movies.
I'm getting these errors:
Code:
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 6, PE0000 0aa0 ffffffff 0000f450 ffffffff ffffffff
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 26, Ch 000001ff M 00001ffc D ffffffff intr ffffffff
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 1, Ch 000001ff M 00001ffc D ffffffff intr ffffffff
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 7, Ch 000001ff M 00001ffc D ffffffff intr ffffffff
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 26, Ch 000001ff M 00001ffc D ffffffff intr ffffffff
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 1, Ch 000001ff M 00001ffc D ffffffff intr ffffffff
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 7, Ch 000001ff M 00001ffc D ffffffff intr ffffffff
NVRM: Xid (0005:00): 6, PE0000 0434 ffd9d9d9 0000fdb0 00ffffff 00ffffff
Anybody knows what it means?
werLd is offline   Reply With Quote