Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-08, 02:07 PM   #1
Belisarius

Default Drivers for multiple GPUs - advice needed, please?

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy and have a PCI-E 7600GS running 2 TFTs and an ELSA Synergy II PCI running a third. I just want to confirm that I'm on the right track here:

1. currently the 7600 uses the proprietary drivers but because the ELSA is a TNT2 it is not supported by the latest drivers and so it uses the Open drives (nv) and hence no 3D.

2. It's not possible to have both the current drivers and the Legacy drivers installed and running at the same time?

3. If I want 3D on all three monitors I need to replace the ELSA with a NVIDIA card that is supported by the latest drivers? (I'm thinking of a FX5500?)

4. Then both cards will be able to use the 'nvidia' drivers and I'll get 3D on all three desktops?

Does that lot sound OK? I don't need anything fancy spec-wise as I don't play games but I'd like to at least get Compiz etc running across all three if possible?

Hopefully someone can advise...

Cheers

Andy
Belisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 02:22 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Drivers for multiple GPUs - advice needed, please?

Yes, as of this writing, your summary is correct.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:30 PM   #3
Belisarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
That's great. Thank you. I was pretty sure it was how it worked but needed to be sure.

I've also looked at some of the Quadro cards (NVS280) as I may pick up an extra monitor and go for the 4 at some point.

For none games use is the 3D performance on a Quadro OK for desktop 3D and maybe some 3D modelling? The ELSAL was originally bought for use with 3DStudio Max a few years ago.

Cheers

Andy
Old 04-23-08, 06:48 AM   #4
Belisarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
Hi Zander,

Having a few problems here. Have installed a FX5200 and enabled the latest nvidia driver and the logo flashes up so it's using the right driver.

However I still get no 3D or OpenGL glxgears just shows blank on that screen. I'm using xinerama to get desktop across all three. When I look at the xorg log file I see:
Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(2): The GPU driving screen 2 is incompatible with the rest of the
(WW) NVIDIA(2):     GPUs composing the desktop.  OpenGL rendering will be
(WW) NVIDIA(2):     disabled on screen 2.
This is not what I want to see

From looking around I can see that their are/were(?) problems with Nvidia and Xinerama. Is there a solution to this as I'd hoped to have Compiz running on all three screens as you suggested?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I've just forked out 30 on a PCI card to no effect

Cheers

Andy