Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-26-03, 02:34 AM   #1
adoll

Angry install from he11 2.4.20.SuSE

It is bedtime and I need to give up on installing the nvidia driver on my SuSE 8.2 setup. The 'nv' driver supplied by suse works fine, but won't do TwinView... so I am trying to install the Linux drivers. I've only used Linux for a couple of months and I shudder at the thought of messing with the guts of it, but here goes...

First problem... what am I supposed to download? SuSE conveniently tells me to visit the nvidia web site but inconveniently doesn't tell me what I actually need. So I started unpacking tar-balls and getting incomprehensible error messages (I now think they mean I've got different tarball than my kernel). _

Then I stumbled into this forum and found that my salvation will be the 'nvidia-installer'. Um, well, if it worked, maybe. I opened the tarball and set 'init 3' as root, then proceeded to run the installer. It happily told me that I'd not given it the right command line options and dumped me back at the command line. Ok, so I need to say 'nvidia-installer --update' (who knew?).

Now we are getting somewhere. The colourful screen shows it downloading something from the ftp site (...nvidia-4363.run something). Oh no, an error message saying that there is no precompiled something or other and would I like to download one from nvidia? Yes, that would be good. Hmm, ok, so they don't have one that matches, but the helpful system offers to compile one for me. Yes, that sounds helpful. Oh no, another error message complaining that it wants the kernel source.

Allright, I think I know enough about Linux to unpack it from my set of SuSE stuff. So I reboot to get the GUI and run YaST to tell it to unpack the Linux source code. So far so good. Then I 'init 3' again to finish the installation. I run 'nvidia-installer --update' and it again downloads this 4363.run thingy (hmm) and again says it can't find a precompiled something or other and I say yes to try to recompile. Dream on. It seems that I needed to give it another command line option '--kernel-include-path=' and tell it where the Linux source code is. Oh no.

So I reboot to get the GUI back, go hunting for where SuSE put the source code (/usr/src/linux). Then another 'init 3' and this time 'nvidia-installer --update --kernel-include-path=/usr/src/linux'. Will that should make it happy? Hmm, well, it is downloading this 4363.run thing again, but wait: Error!... seems it wants the location of a 'kernel.h' file. Grrrr. Now, letsee if I can find this damned file without rebooting to the GUI. Nope, alright, rebooting.

Found 'kernel.h' in '/usr/include/linux'. Here we go again... 'init 3'... 'nvidia-installer --update --kernel-include-path=/usr/include/linux'... wait for 4363.run to download... Nope. it is appending '/linux' to whatever I enter in the command line. Ok, so I try 'nvidia-installer --update --kernel-include-path=/usr/include' Error, can't find 'modversions.h' this time. Aw crap, what is going on here?

Cd over to 'usr/include' to see if the file is in there. Nope, but there is one in '/usr/src/linux-2.4.20.SuSE/include/linux/'. So can I just copy it into my /usr/include directory? What kind of other mahem will that unleash?

I give up.

-AD
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (1.9 KB, 137 views)
adoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 03:31 AM   #2
leibold

The core cause of your problems is something you didn't tell us. Nvidia provides pre-compiled kernel modules for each of the standard kernels that SuSE supplied with their CD/DVD based distribution. For proper operation the nvidia module and the SuSE kernel need to be an exact match. As long as you install SuSE from the distribution media that match is there and the install will be troublefree. If instead you installed SuSE from the ftp site or updated the kernel after the initial installation (YaST Online Update) then the pre-compiled modules from Nvidia won't match.
If there is a mismatch a new kernel module needs to be build on your machine. That's were there are many opportunities for things to go wrong. You need to have the necessary development tools and the kernel-sources installed on your machine (you already found this out yourself) and this kernel-source needs to be the same version as the currently running kernel!
If you specify to install the kernel-sources at the time of installing SuSE Linux the installer will take care of updating the the kernel-source with the -extraversion tag used for the installed kernel (e.g. -athlon). This does not happen if you add the kernel-source package at a later time.

There are several ways to fix this, the quickest and easiest should be to do:

cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make dep

which configures your kernel-source exactly like your currently running kernel. The 'make cloneconfig' reads the configuration from the currently running kernel (/proc/config.gz) and creates a new .config file from it. It also creates/updates .kversion which is one of the files important for the nvidia installer. The 'make dep' creates the dependencies between all the many source files that make up the kernel. However one side-effect of 'make dep' is to put the correct version string into include/linux/version.h (another file important for the nvidia installer).

If you then run the nvidia installer there should be smooth sailing. Good Luck.
leibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 12:35 PM   #3
adoll

Smile

Thank you! That did the trick.

I re-made all these files then the nvidia installer had no trouble generating the drivers. Then ran SAX2 which butchered my /etc/X11/XF86Config file. Got back in with a text editor and set the XF86Config to use 'nvidia' drivers and TwinView.

-AD
adoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 05:17 PM   #4
leibold

I did multiple installs of the nvidia drivers on SuSE Linux and the SaX2 step never 'butchered' my XF86Config files. In most cases SaX2 did offer the nvidia driver as the automatic choice, but even when it selected the nv driver it still gave the option to use the nvidia driver in 'change configuration'. It always generated a working XF86Config file for me.

I don't think that TwinView can be enabled with SaX2, at least I did that step manually.
leibold is offline   Reply With Quote