Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-03, 10:00 PM   #1
CRH
Dell i8100 GeForce2 Go

Default New APM hack for 4363

I just found a new APM hack for the 4363 driver release. See here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-.../message/19802

I posted a reply under the name "commandrdata".

apm -S would not work for me on a Dell i8100 laptop. I got a blank screen with the backlight still on. Had to power off and reboot.

I would be interested in your results.
Old 07-07-03, 06:26 PM   #2
gmoney
HP ZD7000 Linux (5700 Go)

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me either. My system looks like it tries to suspend but the screen fills with junk and is unusable. Oddly, I can get into the BIOS (with Fn-F1) but the screen never comes back until I reboot. I will try testing different things like AGP settings and what not. I'm using an Inspiron 8200 GeForce4 440 Go (rev a3) for what it's worth on a Mandrake 9.1 box with a custom kernel.
gmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-03, 07:51 PM   #3
CRH
Dell i8100 GeForce2 Go

Question

Not many laptop users out there apparently..........

Have you tried both 'apm -S' and 'apm -s'? I have not been able to get either to work.

Apm -s appears to suspend correctly but does not resume properly for me. I'm so stuck I don't even know where to start troubleshooting. I look forward to your toubleshooting results.
Old 07-08-03, 07:40 AM   #4
idler1984

Have you installed the driver successfully on a DELL laptop with Geforce2 Go. If you do, can you share the XF86Config with me? Thanks.
idler1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-03, 12:13 PM   #5
gmoney

I've disabled/enabled AGP and several other settings but to no avail. It still never sleeps and comes back with junk. I would try suspend to disk but I have a gig of RAM and it's faster to reboot than write a gig of data to disk and then reload it into memory. My config is located at: https://dan.gotdns.org/XF86Config-4 but my resolutions is 1600x1200 so you might want to change that depending on your display. It's really a shame that we keep hearing that APM or ACPI support is coming and it never does.
Old 07-14-03, 12:07 AM   #6
gateway9550
GeForce2Go

Lightbulb Successful with suspend/resume

I am finally able to successfully suspend my Gateway 9550 laptop, with the hack. I faced lot of problems and here is how I got around them :

1. Suspend works resume does not work. Had to disable DPMS option in X. Also disable xscreensaver power management. You can check if it is enabled using 'xset q` and look for DPMS. It should be disabled for resume to work.

2. If I dial up and then suspend, then I could not resume. I fixed this by removing the modem driver modules on suspend, also I have removed other modules.

3. Mouse fails to respond to drag events, like I cannot move a window by clicking and dragging the titlebar. This got fixed when I installed the synaptics drivers for X from tuxmobil.org

I have GeForce2Go card, hope this info. is helpful to others.
gateway9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-03, 03:25 PM   #7
blazenrazor

Default try acpi?

APM is fairly primative with suspend and those types of functions. have you guys tried using the latest acpi patches for kernel 2.4.21? I have a toshiba laptop with a GeForce 4 Go and i have been reluctant to try anything that makes power saving calls to the hardware. The latest acpi drivers will also allow you to keep track of your fans on/off settings plus a bunch of other functions handled through it. IRQ routing is handled through acpi on some laptops (mine) and it may fix your problems coming out of suspend.
blazenrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-03, 11:45 PM   #8
gmoney

I tried the suggestions of disabling DPMS (can't believe I forgot to do that) and I can at least suspend now. Resuming just gives me a screen of garbage though. I might try to get ACPI working but the Dell BIOSes are so broken (I'll never buy another) it may be a little bit of a hack. Hopefully something will work. If you do get it working with ACPI can you have AGP enabled?

Old 07-15-03, 12:03 AM   #9
gateway9550
GeForce2Go

Default Suspend without X?

Can you suspend the system without X? ie, try changing to runlevel 3 (or the one without graphical login), remove nvidia kernel module (rmmod nvidia), and suspend the laptop. If you still have problems in resume, then you should look at the list of modules you have(lsmod) and remove all unnecessary modules and try it out.
gateway9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-03, 11:58 AM   #10
gmoney

I've tried 4 different kernel/patch combinations using either apm/acpi support or hibernate (via swsup) and none of them do the trick. I would really like to get suspend to ram working (it worked with the 3123 drivers) but the cost of that is no AGP support which is slow as molasses. It's really a shame that NVidia can't release an APM/ACPI compliant card (either would work for me). All the suspend methods work great from the console but as soon as the nvidia driver is loaded, everything goes to hell. Oh well.