Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-08, 05:41 PM   #1
insuredjester

Default Question about --kernel-include-dir

From the Nvidia Driver installation readme:
Quote:
Q. I cannot build the NVIDIA kernel module, or, I can build the NVIDIA kernel module, but modprobe/insmod fails to load the module into my kernel.

These problems are generally caused by the build using the wrong kernel header files (i.e. header files for a different kernel version than the one you are running). The convention used to be that kernel header files should be stored in /usr/include/linux/, but that is deprecated in favor of /lib/modules/RELEASE/build/include (where RELEASE is the result of uname -r. The nvidia-installer should be able to determine the location on your system; however, if you encounter a problem you can force the build to use certain header files by using the --kernel-include-dir option. For this to work you will of course need the appropriate kernel header files installed on your system. Consult the documentation that came with your distribution; some distributions do not install the kernel header files by default, or they install headers that do not coincide properly with the kernel you are running.
I'm trying to install the latest driver into CentOS 5 and I'm getting an error complaining about the .ko kernel module not loading correctly. After reading the README it says to use --kernel-include-dir and point it to your kernel headers which match "uname -r", which may solve the problem. However --kernel-include-dir command is not a valid command/option to the sh installer package I downloaded from the website.

Can anyone explain to me how I use the --kernel-include-dir option or is it even a part of the installer anymore?

Thanks!
insuredjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 06:24 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Question about --kernel-include-dir

This looks like a stale FAQ entry; the actual options are (from the `nvidia-installer` manual page):

--kernel-include-path=KERNEL-INCLUDE-PATH
The directory containing the kernel include files that should be used when
compiling the NVIDIA kernel module. This option is deprecated; please use
'--kernel-source-path' instead.

--kernel-source-path=KERNEL-SOURCE-PATH
The directory containing the kernel source files that should be used when com-
piling the NVIDIA kernel module. When not specified, the installer will use
'/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build', if that directory exists. Otherwise, it will
use '/usr/src/linux'.

--kernel-output-path=KERNEL-OUTPUT-PATH
The directory containing any KBUILD output files if either one of the
'KBUILD_OUTPUT' or 'O' parameters were passed to KBUILD when building the ker-
nel image/modules. When not specified, the installer will assume that no sep-
arate output directory was used.
However, if you need to specify any of these without knowingly having created a scenario in which they become necessary, you're most likely missing the correct kernel-devel package or haven't installed the kernel in question correctly (e.g. haven't run `make modules_install`, etc.).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote