Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-06, 08:05 PM   #37
gnutux
Linux User: 362616

Default Re: NVidia should STOP supporting Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnu_Raiz
Like that will happen! Or maybe even a mailing list post id?

You would think that if the driver does not support something the user wants; then the user would want to work with the driver team to see if they can come up with a solution.

Also I think its a little strange that their was no replacement hardware mentioned. Nvidia sucks, ATI rules type of comment.

I like most of the Gnu/Linux -*bsd fans will take what I can get, even if its binary only. Sure it would be nice to have it under the gpl, but I take what's I can get. After all something is better then nothing.

Gnu_Raiz
There are things that you CANNOT GPL. Not all software in the world can be GPLed. Such as NVIDIA drivers. If NVIDIA GPLed their drivers then they'd go under.

Please use your senses.

gnutux
Old 04-16-08, 01:10 AM   #38
vh-bil

"NVidia should STOP supporting Linux" ??? What dumbass started this thread again?
Old 04-16-08, 04:06 PM   #39
Sasha_A
Slackware!

This thread is nice and old I see-- but still relevant. Time for its yearly revival!!

QUOTE : "..or stop supporting Linux altogether so people would stop wasting time trying to get this stuff working because unless you have anything other than the simplest of systems it's going to drive you nuts."

The above is just rubbish.. I like to think my system is rather UN-simple, and while I DID spend a significant amount of time getting everything working *just right*, I would have jumped off a bridge by now had I been screwing with ATI junk and their closed source code. FWIW I have two dual-head PCI-E nVidia cards in my MSI nVidia-chipset SLI-ready mainboard (w/intel CORE2 CPU), and have 4 (yes FOUR) monitors running simultaneously as 4 X-screens w/Xinerama. No big deal. nVidia made this possible for me; I doubt your problem is nVidia. And simply GPLing the driver won't instantly solve your Xen problem. I hope for your and others' benefit that Xen and other weird setups may be supported at some time; but the fact that it isn't at THIS moment (and maybe it IS today, I dunno) is no reason to curse the whole shebang.
For the record, (YES I use Linux exclusively), have an SLI motherboard, but NO-- I don't play games, and I did not buy it to play games; I bought it to run 4 monitors (among other things).

Another thought of mine is that '..if people are that bent on playing video games with their several thousand dollar computer, then run a separate machine filled with M$ proprietary crapola, Windows, etc, and have ALL your hardware working PERFECTLY and to its max potential, thanks to greedy hardware vendors catering to M$ and making hardware toted as being "For Windows" because Windows is not worth much more than that- a nice bloaty expensive game machine; save the Linux box for real work. Or simply invest in a video game console. *nix wasn't created to play games-- get over it if your Linux won't play your silly game.'

I feel that nVidia is doing fantastic in their support for linux-- the fact that their hardware WORKS in Linux is a very good thing, and is more than I can say for a load of other hardware makers, who make keyboards, modems, HID's, webcams, and probably other things, that are made to M$ specs. That stuff isn't "hardware", it is "Windozeware".
Old 04-18-08, 08:08 AM   #40
RAMChYLD

Nvidia should definitely continue supporting Linux. A reasonably large amount of their customers use their hardware in graphic farms, and their Linux support is to date flawless, meaning a lot of happy customers. Would nV be willing to lose a big portion of their market that is the Linux hobbyist and graphic farm operators? Doubt it.

Quote:
*nix wasn't created to play games-- get over it if your Linux won't play your silly game.
Right, it wasn't. It was created for scientific jobs like 3D rendering, which is still up nV's alley.

As for games on Linux, Oolite is heckuva addictive, and it costs nothing.
Old 05-14-08, 04:58 PM   #41
brunson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh-bil
"NVidia should STOP supporting Linux" ??? What dumbass started this thread again?
The last post before yours was in 2006, so I guess you're the dumbass.
Closed Thread