Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-25-03, 04:05 PM   #13
jhahn

Send a message via ICQ to jhahn

ok.. the process for me that is causing this problem is called "X" which is the xserver, gnome and kde shut down if I kill it. That means there is something within the xserver causing it. But like I said, the generic vesa drivers don't cause this problem, so I still think it is the fault of the nvidia drivers.
jhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-03, 04:12 PM   #14
Anthaus

Man, I'm out of ideas, but maybe you could try these:

Change the AGP driver to NVAGP (see the release notes).
Check your BIOS and make sure you're not stressing too much your RAM (CAS settings).
You are using AGP 8x. Try 4x in the meantime.
Disable FastWrites from BIOS.
Old 07-25-03, 04:32 PM   #15
jhahn

Well, the starter of this thread is using the kernel agpgart module, I'm already using the nvidia agpgart module, no help. Here's an interesting piece of info. No matter where I put the fast writes setting in my bios "enabled" or "disabled" when I check the status of it, both fast writes and sba are disabled. That could be due to the fact that nvidia module doesn't have perfect support for the kt400 chipset yet, but interesting, nonetheless.
Old 07-25-03, 08:19 PM   #16
hlprmnky

Default I've tried all of these

I've tried AGP4x, as well as fast writes disabled. I've tried having *no* AGP support in my kernel, and using *only* nvidia.o for agp support; I've tried full AGPGART (as I have now).

For me, the process that seems to be spiking in usage according to top is 'ksoftirqd_CPU0'.

So far, I haven't heard any reports of successful FX5900U usage with 1.0-4363; I'm hoping that next week's rumored driver release will make us all very happy.
hlprmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-03, 09:42 PM   #17
alien999999999

Send a message via ICQ to alien999999999

you guys use your onboard NIC? with nvnet? I'm seen a PC that uses nvnet has a similar problem, it's not 100%, but the whole system is really choppy, and it's X that uses all the CPU...

well, I reeeeeaaaallllllllyyyyy hope the next driver release is going to be out soon, cause of the promised bugfixes...
Old 07-25-03, 10:41 PM   #18
jhahn

In response to alien, yes, I use my onboard NIC, but again, at this point I really think it is the video card driver that is causing the problems. I can't think of any other reason why the jumpiness would go away when I switch to the generic vesa driver. It only gets jumpy when I use the nvidia driver. Unless the nvnet program that you were talking about is only activated when the nvidia video driver is activated.... highly unlikely, but possible I guess.
Old 07-26-03, 05:57 AM   #19
alien999999999

Send a message via ICQ to alien999999999

nvnet driver for onboard nForce NICs

have you tried shutting down X and start an FTP file transfer? and see if you have the same problem.

Alien
Old 07-26-03, 12:23 PM   #20
jhahn

That couldn't be the issue for me because my motherboard is a kt400 chipset.... not nforce. So my NIC is a VIA chipset rather than nvidia...I guess I'll just wait and hope that the driver comes out next week and addresses this issue. I'm sure nvidia atleast knows about it if very many people with fx 5900s have this problem.

Old 07-26-03, 02:55 PM   #21
hlprmnky

Default I don't use nvnet

... though I have tried it (and not seen any change in behavior).

I have the A7N8X-Deluxe, which in addition to the nVidia NIC, has a 3Com onboard. The 3Com is supported by the '3c59x' driver in newer versions of the kernel (2.4.21 and 2.4.22-pre6, as well as the 2.6 tree I'm sure).

I'm also using ALSA for sound drivers. So, even though at one point in time I've used *all* of nvgart, nvaudio, and nvnet, at present I use *none* of them, instead using the kernel-native nForce2 AGPGART support in 2.4.22-pre6, the ALSA driver set, and the 3c59x driver.

None of this has caused any changes whatsoever, which leads me to believe that the only constant, namely nvidia.o, version 1.0-43{49|63}, has to be the culprit.

I have to say, though, a big thanks all around to everyone who has stopped in here with ideas or suggestions! It is MUCH better trying to deal with this issue with a group that also has it, tries to help, etc., than it was for the three weeks or so that I thought only my box had this problem.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-03, 05:52 PM   #22
hlprmnky

Lightbulb Also, VESA driver does not exhibit the behavior.

One last thing that I hadn't bothered to check, but it is just as I suspected.

Changing
Driver "nvidia"
to
Driver "vesa"

results in a dark, low-refresh, low-resolution desktop with no extraneous CPU usage.

I guess the new nforce2 drivers are due to release on Tuesday; here's hoping that the new graphics drivers are coming the same day!
Old 07-28-03, 01:53 PM   #23
jhahn

Just as I suspected. The 4463 drivers were the culprit. The 4496 drivers that were released today fixed the problem. It's running smooth as silk now!!!
Old 07-28-03, 07:18 PM   #24
hlprmnky

Talking w00t! w00t! w00t!

Same here - 1.0-4496 up and loaded, just finished with about three hours of Enemy Territory and UT2003.

*no* lockups
*no* 'ticking'

nVidia - you've done it again.

Big big thanks to the nVidia linux support team!