Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-08, 10:09 AM   #1
|MaguS|

Default Just an Idea...

I was wondering, we all know the PS3 came out after the X360 and often gets the same game delayed. There have been many games released in the past for the X360 exclusively and with he sequels coming out on both platforms. So here is an idea, why don't developers put the original title with the sequel on the same disc and charge extra for the PS3 version?

I mean if a game releases on both the PS3 and X360 most likely it wont be using more then 10GB of data... the original title that released for the X360 only also probably only uses that much space... both versions could easily fit on a single disc. This way PS3 owners who never played the original could atleast catch up...

I mean take condemned 2, my friend only has a PS3 and bought and loved the game but I had to explain the original so he knew what he missed. They could have included the original with the sequal as a collectors edition version (release two versions for the PS3 one with and one without the original) and just charge more for it. This would be great if the next Mass Effect were to go multiplatform...

Yeah it would delay the game for the PS3 but thats a better reason then no reason at all (Alone in the Dark).
Old 05-22-08, 12:14 PM   #2
Connaught

Default Re: Just an Idea...

That is a good idea. I would absolutely love that for Mass Effect 2 (finished the original on 360, but sold my 360) to have the original on it. Would like to play through that again so I can still get my highly customized kick arse character...(biotics + tech + assault rifle) for the Mass Effect 2. Assuming it is being released for the ps3....big assumption.

The difficulty could be:

Determining the Demand for it.
Reworking to original engine to work on the ps3.
Compression tools used to fit data onto DVD by Microsoft might not be available to Blu-ray developers? MS patent?
Connaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 12:35 PM   #3
JigenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connaught
Reworking to original engine to work on the ps3.
As well as all the other necessary stuff. There's a fair amount of differences in the hardware. Rewriting the core code to take advantage of the Cell (unless you want to play the game at 20fps), quite probably lots of graphics changes (ATI GPU vs. Nvidia), and lots of other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connaught
Compression tools used to fit data onto DVD by Microsoft might not be available to Blu-ray developers? MS patent?
The 360 and PS3 have different compression formats for different things. Both are proprietary, but the developer should have the source files and have no problems doing this at all.

Even if you can't compress a PS3 game as much as the 360 game, it's not a huge problem, if the load times become bad, make that install file.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 01:36 PM   #4
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

I wouldn't be suprised if this sort of thing doesn't start happening soon as a means to utilise the BD further.

Just imagine they realised God of War 1 & 2 with slightly improved visuals and put them on a single BD, it would sell in stupid amounts especially for the 40GB owners without BC support.

Just think they released that a month or two before GOW3 ...talking stupid money.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 03:59 PM   #5
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

That would be cool. Me being new to Playstation have missed a lot of great games whose sequels on PS3 are interesting me. I already spent the $60 to get GoW 1 and 2 and love them. The PS3 does a great job upscaling them BTW.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 03:29 AM   #6
3DBrad

There isn't as much "reworking" the engine to work on the PS3, as it's Unreal Engine 3.

However, the textures/materials/UPK files were probably made for the 360 in mind, and the PS3 has much less memory to work with, so there'd have to be some changes on that end.
Old 05-23-08, 04:37 AM   #7
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Would be very sweet, but I can only see one company every doing something like this though, Capcom. They tend to like to rerelease there old stuff on new formats ...
Oh yeah ... Hideo Kojima too
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote