Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-08, 11:15 AM   #1
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Default 2 Network Segments on 1 Switch

I have a question for anyone who's a networking expert.

How come you can use 1 switch for 2 network segments? Is it because of the protocol used? Is it by design? Also, what if both segments have their own DHCP server? How would the switch handle the assignment of DHCP address allocation per segment?

Thanks.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 01:20 PM   #2
Runningman

Default Re: 2 Network Segments on 1 Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8
I have a question for anyone who's a networking expert.

How come you can use 1 switch for 2 network segments? Is it because of the protocol used? Is it by design? Also, what if both segments have their own DHCP server? How would the switch handle the assignment of DHCP address allocation per segment?

Thanks.
well first off you need to understand osi modeling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
well not to get to heavy into tcp/ip if you look at the diagram on that wiki a switch operates at layer 2 and ip addressing operates at layer 3. when you have two protocals operating at two seperate layers, they dont know anything about each other, so a switch cannot see the ip addresses at layer 3. it knows nothing about it. so you can have hunreds of diferent networks on a single switch and that switch wouldnt know any diffrent becuase it cannot read layer 3.

ok about dhcp, dhcp works on layer3 address assignments and a switch cannot see what the dhcp server or servers are doing because a switch knows nothing about layer 3 addressing. DHCP assigns layer 3 address to hosts. the address range allication is handle by defining the ip address range in the DHCP server, again the switch doesnt see anything. the DHCP handles all of it. now when you have multiple segments you will do something called "vlan", short for virtual lan. when you get into vlaning you segment the network by a port bases. so you can have ports 1 through 8 on vlan 1 with your first network segment and you can have ports 9 through 16 on vlan 2 with network ip address assignment of network 2. this will help with segmenting your networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN
i know i didnt do such a hot job of explaing it but this is a very deep issue that is something you study and work with over a long period of time
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 01:34 PM   #3
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Thanks. That explains a lot actually. I'll take a look at those links.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 04:12 PM   #4
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman
well first off you need to understand osi modeling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
well not to get to heavy into tcp/ip if you look at the diagram on that wiki a switch operates at layer 2 and ip addressing operates at layer 3. when you have two protocals operating at two seperate layers, they dont know anything about each other, so a switch cannot see the ip addresses at layer 3. it knows nothing about it. so you can have hunreds of diferent networks on a single switch and that switch wouldnt know any diffrent becuase it cannot read layer 3.

ok about dhcp, dhcp works on layer3 address assignments and a switch cannot see what the dhcp server or servers are doing because a switch knows nothing about layer 3 addressing. DHCP assigns layer 3 address to hosts. the address range allication is handle by defining the ip address range in the DHCP server, again the switch doesnt see anything. the DHCP handles all of it. now when you have multiple segments you will do something called "vlan", short for virtual lan. when you get into vlaning you segment the network by a port bases. so you can have ports 1 through 8 on vlan 1 with your first network segment and you can have ports 9 through 16 on vlan 2 with network ip address assignment of network 2. this will help with segmenting your networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN
i know i didnt do such a hot job of explaing it but this is a very deep issue that is something you study and work with over a long period of time

I think you put it very well
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 10:20 AM   #5
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint999
Thanks. That explains a lot actually. I'll take a look at those links.
ut oh, i bet we are going to see another one post wonder real soon....
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 08:21 PM   #6
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Damn invaders!
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote