View Poll Results: ur opinion about gfx cards over linux
nvidia is better 52 65.82%
ati is better 21 26.58%
who cares....... 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-08, 07:16 PM   #1
WaterPartys

Default NVDIA or ATI (over Linux)

I was told ATI drivers are way better for Linux users while Nvidia support is near none/zero/empty/nonono

Wacha think?
Old 05-01-08, 07:22 PM   #2
_Inferno_

Default Re: NVDIA or ATI (over Linux)

Hard to say since I haven't ever tried an ATI card with Linux.

My experiences have been difficult so far due to missing features in the Linux drivers. I'm hoping that these issues will be resolved soon, but my issue specifically seems to go back 2 - 3 years already, so I am more than a little worried.

That being said, I'm a loyal Nvidia customer, and thankfully the windows drivers are functional at least. The linux drivers install, have a decent gui in nvidia-settings but I need TV Overscan/Underscan correction for dvi-hdmi which I see has been requested for quite a while.

I wouldn't have this prob if I had a normal monitor, but I don't so I do...

Dave
_Inferno_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 02:33 PM   #3
grey_1

Not sure who told you that. AMD has recently opened the source code to the community so I'm sure they will improve..but I've lost sleep over trying to get an ATI card installed.

Nvidia on the other hand, while there are bugs, I have had 99% all around great experiences with.

Cards used were 6800GT, 7800GT, 7900GTX, 8800GTS both vanilla and SSC edition. Haven't run my 9800GTX through the mill yet, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Also this Nvidia linux forum is linked off of Nvidia's site with actual nvidia employees here daily answering questions and squashing bugs.

I don't believe AMD even has such a forum...could be wrong though.
Old 05-02-08, 03:55 PM   #4
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

I've had not problems with any Nvidia card I've used. The list includes; TNT2, Geforce 2MX, 5200, 5700LE, and now 7600GS (had AGP before, now got PCIx)

Only ever tried using ATI cards back in the day of the Rage128.

Once I started using Nvidia, I found everything worked as much as I needed.

I'll hold off on the 8 & 9 series cards for a while - it strikes me that too much effort has been spent on designing hardware to handle all the DRM stuff that Vista requires, and getting the drivers working properly.

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-08, 03:45 PM   #5
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

For the limited 2D opensource drivers provided in the past years ATI is much better. The stupid "nv" thing doesn't have anything useful in it, not even multi-head.

For the binary drivers NVidia is much better, but that might change quickly now that NVidia seems to be overrun by the complexity of new driver requirements and ATI provided documentation for their chips.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 10:57 AM   #6
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

nVidia was never to blame with the problems I have had. Had a motherboard with a problem BIOS that caused issues. Had a video card fans seize up and cause freezes, reboots, and graphics corruption. I mention this 'cause folks will blame nVidia and their drivers without knowing the root cause of their problems.

I have been very happy with nVidia and their Linux drivers. I would like to see someone using a newer ATI card and how it performs. Don't want to blow the dough myself for an experiment.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 05:13 AM   #7
gradinaruvasile

I recently changed from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu 7.10 and now 8.04) and i found the Nvidia drivers work flawlessly (except the 169.12 drivers stripey textures, but installed 173.08 and fixed it) .
Bought a laptop with ATI 7500 Mobility vidcard, installed Ubuntu 804 and guess what - i cant make the ATI proprietary drivers work with it (it seems it is not supported.... ).
That's my experience...
So... Nvidia is better supported from my point of view.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 11:16 AM   #8
carlos
In the fetal position

ATI has virtually no Linux support for the past 10 years. Your post is reversed. nVidia has the best Linux support available for being proprietary drivers.

Old 06-10-08, 11:43 PM   #9
blargh

Thats not exactly an accurate statement.
PRIOR to ATI being acquired by AMD (2006), their drivers were definitely trash. SINCE then, their drivers have been improved to the point where they are approximately equivalent to NVidia. It took a while, but they had a lot of trash to work through. In addition, they've released the specifications for open sourced driver development, and this definitely puts them ahead of nvidia in terms of linux-friendliness.

BTW: posting a poll like that HERE is definitely NOT going to get you any kind of useful results. Most people visiting this forum are biased towards nvidia. Posting a poll like that elsewhere will get you better results, but they will still be influenced by what people remember from the pre-06 condition of ati drivers.
blargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:10 PM   #10
davcefai

Can't answer the question because ATI chipsets just DO NOT WORK for me.

So I've got the whole household (6 PCs in all) with NVidia cards.

Now if only they they would sort out the XEN problem.....
davcefai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 08:30 AM   #11
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

A few thoughts.

nVidia's drivers used to be better in terms of stability and performance. I bought a 7800GT to replace my 9800pro and X hasn't frozen ever since. That was, of course, back in 2005 so the situation could be quite different nowadays.

ATI's installer could produce a Debian package back in 2005. nVidia's installer can only install files directly on your disk, past package management system. Debian comes with packaged drivers, but those are often lagging far behind the latest versions. I have a script to package the drivers, but it may stop working when nVidia decides to change something.

All things considered, I prefer nVidia. Having to package the drivers myself is a small price to pay for stability I've enjoyed for past three years. Besides my 9600GT has a passive heatsink.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]

Last edited by wnd; 08-16-08 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-08, 07:25 AM   #12
Charles Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
I recently changed from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu 7.10 and now 8.04) and i found the Nvidia drivers work flawlessly (except the 169.12 drivers stripey textures, but installed 173.08 and fixed it) .
Bought a laptop with ATI 7500 Mobility vidcard, installed Ubuntu 804 and guess what - i cant make the ATI proprietary drivers work with it (it seems it is not supported.... ).
That's my experience...
So... Nvidia is better supported from my point of view.
Heh, how interesting! My laptop with ATI 7500 Mobility works perfectly but I can't get my Nvidia card to work at all in my desktop nor have I gotten any response from a direct message to Nvidia support nor from the forum. Neither computer has Windows so don't know how/if they work with it.
Charles Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote