Old 06-01-08, 05:02 AM   #25
K007

Default Re: Grid...

Does the game have any story to it?
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 10:19 AM   #26
Logical

Are you being sarcastic or are you really wodering if there is a 'story' in race driver GRID ?
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 10:32 AM   #27
JaylumX
Something Else

I believe the fella is being sinere. I remember a Toca game which told a story in the career mode (Some Day of Thunder Script reject) and rewarded ones effort with ingame cutscenes before and after races. Currently playing the 360 version and there does not appear to be a story mode.

i5 760 @ 4.0 | P7P55D-E | 8GB DDR3 | 60 & 120GB SSD - 1TB SATA 2 | HD 7950 @ 1200/6300 | HDAV 1.3 | HD598

Xbox 360 120GB | PS3 40GB | Wii 8GB | Sony KDL-32EX723BU
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 11:02 AM   #28
Nza

I like a good racing game, but I always have trouble 'getting into' the more sim styled racers (I consider NFS, TrackMania etc to be "arcade"; GRID is pretty 'sim' to me).

My main problem is CPU driving AI. I can never seem to find a setting I like. They're either too stupid and I own them, or they're too hard and I have no chance. Does anyone else get this? I also struggle to drive around "at the same pace" as CPU cars, meaning they all seem to be in this harmony how they time their braking into corners and accelerate out of corners more or less the same, where as I come flying in and slam into the back of them. It's not like I would have crashed or gone off the track on the corner without them in front of me, but my style always seems far more aggressive than most CPU AI I've driven against. Basically, it seems commonly AI is programmed to actually consider tire wear etc whilst driving, even if it's not properly implemented in the game.

I dunno, maybe I just don't have enough patience to enjoy proper racing games. Even when I throw these games into more arcade settings though, it's usually the same deal.
Nza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 02:09 PM   #29
Koko56

For me this game happened to be absolutely awful. Iliked the demo, but that was because I got used to the car and the track, but here you are expected to learn a new track and a new car instantly...

I enjoyed Toca: RD 2, but this is just crap...

What's up with the pendulum effect on the cars? Huh?

*straight off my hard drive*
Old 06-01-08, 03:06 PM   #30
MowTin

Some say it's awful. Some say it's great. Very confusing.

I didn't bother to download the demo because of the negative buzz but now I guess I'll have to try it myself.

I HATED the DiRt demo because the braking distances were so absurd. Even GTA 4 (and this is no exaggeration!) has more realistic braking than DirT.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 02:17 AM   #31
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

I must say I am liking the game a lot. I played the demo and thought it was good but the fill game is really good imo. I know a friend of mine hates it kinda for the same reasons as slaWter.

I think this game is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it!
Old 06-02-08, 02:49 AM   #32
Revs

I love this game. It took a while to get used to it with several tantrums and lots of swearing and things getting thrown accross the room, but it was worth the effort (nothing can piss me off like a racing game). I'm finding this game more fun than Gotham, and that's saying alot. I bet it's even better on XBOX Live.

The game runs very smooth and the gfx are awesome. Drifting takes some getting used to but is great fun. Full game > demo.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-08, 03:35 AM   #33
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I love this game. It took a while to get used to it with several tantrums and lots of swearing and things getting thrown accross the room, but it was worth the effort (nothing can piss me off like a racing game). I'm finding this game more fun than Gotham, and that's saying alot. I bet it's even better on XBOX Live.

The game runs very smooth and the gfx are awesome. Drifting takes some getting used to but is great fun. Full game > demo.
*cough*Now you could*cough*try*cough*GTR2!!!*coughcough*
Old 06-02-08, 03:45 AM   #34
Revs

I got GTR free with some hardware. Far too simulatory for my liking. I'd say Grid, like Gotham and Forza, are just right for my taste. The best thing is the variety of styles of driving, it keeps it more interesting.

I find it more fun with all driving aids off, but i'm still running in 'Auto' gears for now. My only beef with the game is the guy that pops up on the radio every-ten-****ing-seconds .
Old 06-02-08, 05:11 AM   #35
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I find it more fun with all driving aids off, but i'm still running in 'Auto' gears for now. My only beef with the game is the guy that pops up on the radio every-ten-****ing-seconds .

The only driver aid I use is TC, I find it a bit too twitchy without it. And yea the guy on the Radio should be shot!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-08, 06:31 AM   #36
Revs

The slo-mo thing in the replays is superb, too.

Is anyone using the 360 pad to play this??