Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-30-08, 07:57 AM   #85
gordon f

Default Re: Brightness control not working with nVidia driver

I have a Samsung Q45 with GeForce 8400M G. With the Nvidia driver the FN brightness control is not working, with dv it does perfectly.
But with the dv driver the display doesn't wake up after standby or suspend. So I have to decide now if I want to use brightness control or a working standby mode.
This is very frustrating.
gordon f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 12:36 AM   #86
cfreier

I am experiencing the same problem on a Samsung R65. I have it since February 2007 and find it embarrassing for Nvidia that they are not able to fix it.
cfreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 06:34 AM   #87
BasicWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfreier View Post
I am experiencing the same problem on a Samsung R65. I have it since February 2007 and find it embarrassing for Nvidia that they are not able to fix it.
Well, if you've noticed, this thread was started on 10/17/07. This bug was fixed in Lenovo laptops, but Sony and Samsung (and maybe other brands') users are waiting...
BasicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 07:57 AM   #88
huiii

i would never stick to vista just because brightness is not working, this would be like stepping over from a ferrari to a volkswagen just because the left door is not opening.

we just have keep on asking. but what i am figuring out, when i search the net for who is in charge of providing hotkey-functions on a sony-laptop: it looks like sony is the one to ask,
u can read this on the nvidia-website when u are on vista and try to get a driver.
the following message appears:

Sony requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

You can find more information at: http://www.sony.com.

The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's.

it seems to me the best idea to send a request to sony as well till one of both will be willing to provide us with basic functionality or at least tell us clearly who is in charge on this matter.
http://club.vaio.sony.de/clubvaio/de...d?thread=54628
it is not clear to me and it seems that the linux-team of nvidia does not know (or does not clearify) this either.

in the meantime check out this site: somebody is trying to build a driver:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465491&page=49
huiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 10:04 AM   #89
bistory

That's not true in my case and in most of the cases I think.
Drivers from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ are working on my VAIO whereas they come from Nvidia !
So I think Nvidia is responsible no ?
bistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 10:48 AM   #90
mr.nicis

Send a message via MSN to mr.nicis

Quote:
Originally Posted by huiii View Post
i would never stick to vista just because brightness is not working, this would be like stepping over from a ferrari to a volkswagen just because the left door is not opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huiii View Post
we just have keep on asking. but what i am figuring out, when i search the net for who is in charge of providing hotkey-functions on a sony-laptop: it looks like sony is the one to ask,
u can read this on the nvidia-website when u are on vista and try to get a driver.
the following message appears:

Sony requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

You can find more information at: http://www.sony.com.

The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's.

it seems to me the best idea to send a request to sony as well till one of both will be willing to provide us with basic functionality or at least tell us clearly who is in charge on this matter.
http://club.vaio.sony.de/clubvaio/de...d?thread=54628
it is not clear to me and it seems that the linux-team of nvidia does not know (or does not clearify) this either.

in the meantime check out this site: somebody is trying to build a driver:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465491&page=49
Sony nr21z same problem, but i think that a tool like smardimmer (that work with this graph chip, i know fn keys working is too much ) will be enough for many people are using linux like me
Happy development

Mr.Nicis
mr.nicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 04:29 AM   #91
sittingpenguin

Well it looks like to solve the problem for good all that's needed is the nvclock developer to know the registers that control the brightness in the Sony and Samsung laptops, which are laptop specific and not controlled by Nvidia. It's really just a couple of codes, but there seems to be no way to find them also from windows, below a link to the relevant thread in the nvclock help forum:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...forum_id=67426

that thread contains the final enlightenment to this issue. And once we can talk to the chip binding the action to the keys is a no-brainer, they already send scan codes to the acpi interface.

Because I don't think giving out those numbers will cause Sony or Samsung to expose vital secrerts for their companies, is there anyone who knows how to go about asking that to them, which department to contact, an e-mail address; I can do it for Sony as I've got a Vaio, and we could also team up to make more noise.
sittingpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 01:05 PM   #92
nielsslot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingpenguin View Post
Because I don't think giving out those numbers will cause Sony or Samsung to expose vital secrerts for their companies, is there anyone who knows how to go about asking that to them, which department to contact, an e-mail address; I can do it for Sony as I've got a Vaio, and we could also team up to make more noise.
Teaming up sounds like an idea. I've been watching various forum threads about this. On the Ubuntu and Sony ClubVaio forums there is one guy named 'benste'. He seems to be a moderator on the official Sony ClubVaio forums. Maybe he can contact Sony for us.

Forum threads:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=465491&page=50
http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio...8&lastpage=yes

Someone also noted that there is a Windows XP driver available for Sony Vaio's with working backlight. Maybe we could ask the guys who did this if they know anything. Also, extracting the register key with nvClock doesn't work on Vista, it does however work on WinXP. If we use the Windows XP driver, could we then figure something out with nvClock?
nielsslot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-08, 06:27 PM   #93
huiii

thats a good question there! winxp driver --recycle..
i am trying to get a vaio club member since two days (imagine) and i'll get to that site one day and post my request and join the longlist of blinded sony-users.
amen

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio...8&lastpage=yes

btw: today i found out in vista, that when in msconfig you prevent a tiny little app called "sony event manager"-or so" from starting on bootup, than brightnes does not work either...

AHA-again
huiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 02:18 AM   #94
sittingpenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsslot View Post
On the Ubuntu and Sony ClubVaio forums there is one guy named 'benste'. He seems to be a moderator on the official Sony ClubVaio forums. Maybe he can contact Sony for us.
I see there are already talks with 'benste' over at ubuntuforums to contact Sony and it sounds like he can indeed do it, the problem is that he does not know exactly what to ask for, he only talks in general about specifications. What we need is the register keys for brightness up and down, all the rest has already been nailed down.

Tonight after putting the children in bed I'll subscribe to either Vaio club or Ubuntu forums and tell him, or if someone of you guys is already talking to him there please tell him, it's just the register keys for the brightness control. Those should be forwarded to the nvclock developer, this is outside of the responsibility of Nvidia as I understand now.
Old 06-04-08, 02:39 AM   #95
sittingpenguin

And here is where the unofficial WinXP driver lives:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

now I don't have WinXP on my laptop and also cannot hack, but if I know exactly how to exctract the register keys from it I'm willing to wipe Linux, install XP, do the job and reinstall Linux; I do all my serious things with a real computer (a desktop) anyway.
Old 06-04-08, 10:50 AM   #96
benste
Ubuntu nvidia Vaio user

Send a message via ICQ to benste Send a message via MSN to benste Send a message via Skype™ to benste

@ sittingpenguin and huii:
nice to hear that you're already talking about me :-)
yes, I submited the request from one guy in the english forum in Club Vaio to Sony Brussels, I'm in contact with them, but you're also right that I doesn't know enough to get them publish the right things, so please help me and post all things you need - I only said FN-Keys because of Vaio Event MAnager, in generl are not working, as I know some models even doesn't detect the ACPI events, the 2nd part is memory card reader which doesn't work. The nvclock problem is attached with the FN-Keys.
There are now numerous of threads which handles the topic Brightness and vaio notebooks on 2nd level OS like Ubuntu.

@ all - feel free to post into http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio...8&lastpage=yes
and please specify which informtions you would like to have.

[the club vaio is only for european vaio owners, if someone lese wants to post something - feel free to contact me] -> the more users are posting in CV the more important the topic is for sony !!!
benste is offline   Reply With Quote