Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-08, 02:58 PM   #1
JigenD

Default Can someone explain Age of Conan's instancing to me?

OK, basically is it like Guild Wars, where you have to group up to take people into action areas, or is there a few instances to every zone, numbered like 1, 2, 3 that you can choose between? If so, how many players can be in a zone?

Thanks.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 05:50 PM   #2
CaptnStubing

Default Re: Can someone explain Age of Conan's instancing to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigenD View Post
OK, basically is it like Guild Wars, where you have to group up to take people into action areas, or is there a few instances to every zone, numbered like 1, 2, 3 that you can choose between? If so, how many players can be in a zone?

Thanks.
Basically all 20+ zones are all open like WoW except that the whole server realm is broken down into 6 or so instances. If one instance in a particular zone is over farmed then you can choose another instance of the same zone. It actually is handy.

Now with in the zones there are instances like in WoW where you can group up or raid to get boss loot and such or just to complete a quest.

It all works together so that you feel like you are all in one large realm.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 05:58 PM   #3
JigenD

Does the game have traditional dungeons? Some of the screenshots I've seen seem to show that. Can you just enter a dungeon like a regular zone and see tons of random people? My concern is being able to group up within these areas, kind of like the EQ1 experience.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 06:23 PM   #4
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigenD View Post
Does the game have traditional dungeons? Some of the screenshots I've seen seem to show that. Can you just enter a dungeon like a regular zone and see tons of random people? My concern is being able to group up within these areas, kind of like the EQ1 experience.
Yes. That is what I was saying. The difference is each zone has multiple copies of its self. So you can choose one that has less people in it. It is more like WoW and EQ than it is Guild Wars.

I like the multiple copies of zone because you have a greater chance of completing hard quests. For example there is a quest in the Wild Lands where the wounded child only appears once every 6 hours. No problem if he isn't there, pick another instance. If he isn't in those then you can chose the epic version of that instance where less people if not no one goes into and finish the quest.

You can group up in the zones like EQ.
Old 06-02-08, 06:34 PM   #5
Buckeye

Sounds like EQ2 zones/instances.
Old 06-03-08, 07:21 PM   #6
nrdstrm

Honestly, this is a great feature...I've used it quite a bit already when I enter an area where I'm trying to do a quest and it's covered with players. I usually just pick the last "instance" on the list and barely anyone is in there...Works great...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-08, 07:39 PM   #7
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm View Post
Honestly, this is a great feature...I've used it quite a bit already when I enter an area where I'm trying to do a quest and it's covered with players. I usually just pick the last "instance" on the list and barely anyone is in there...Works great...
Until they now made it that you have to be 5 FRIKIN meters away from a rez point. Why the hell did they do that? There isn't any reason for that. The only thing I can think of is that some ASSHOLE found an exploit.
Old 06-04-08, 01:15 AM   #8
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
Until they now made it that you have to be 5 FRIKIN meters away from a rez point. Why the hell did they do that? There isn't any reason for that. The only thing I can think of is that some ASSHOLE found an exploit.
It was for the pvp idiots
The used instancing to get away from other players
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-08, 01:43 AM   #9
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

captn, my guess is starting gold farmers are having a field day with this. Find an area easy to clear, loot the goods, swap to a new instance and repeat. Guild Wars actually had some code put in along time ago that made it so the bosses that droped the green set weapons (They are generally very good weapons that you can reliably get, unlike random stat rare drops) would lower their drop rates significantly if someone killed him a set amount of times/hour. People were picking boss mobs that wernt to far from zone in areas, and using an all human group, they would go kill it. They usualy had a good drop rate so it was an easy farm method.

edit: badboys reasoning make more sense.
Old 06-04-08, 10:17 AM   #10
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 View Post
It was for the pvp idiots
The used instancing to get away from other players
So they didn't want to fight in a pvp server and they would run away like little girls. Or maybe they were getting ganked repeatedly and wanted to swicht instances?
Old 06-04-08, 11:00 AM   #11
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

My guess is they were beating up lowbies.. and if it looked like they would die from retaliation..instant teleport to another instance.