Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-08, 03:31 PM   #1333
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

YMML look the absolute DB's - can't wait to get my free copy but I fear for the frame rates I'm going to get - it's got to take it's toll, don't you think ?

Great shots from all, and I have to say the REX water look superb as well...FSX is really being pushed to it's limits it seems, with FEX, REX, FTX, GEX, GenX etc-etc...all we're missing is SEX, well I'm sure some of us are
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 07:12 PM   #1334
sillyeagle
sillyego

I'm quite surprised how old the flight sim market is. Orbx has a poll on their site where people have posted their ages, and 80% are older than 30 and 50% are older than 40. Actually, it puts a smile on my face to see so many old men having a blast in FS and on the forums. I'm 28 but I know some around here are older. Peter Wilding was telling me the majority at FSworld are quite young, like under 20, but I know other places like Avsim seem to attract the over 40 crowd.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 06-11-08, 06:35 AM   #1335
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
I'm quite surprised how old the flight sim market is. Orbx has a poll on their site where people have posted their ages, and 80% are older than 30 and 50% are older than 40. Actually, it puts a smile on my face to see so many old men having a blast in FS and on the forums. I'm 28 but I know some around here are older. Peter Wilding was telling me the majority at FSworld are quite young, like under 20, but I know other places like Avsim seem to attract the over 40 crowd.

Yeah, flight simming has always attracted an older age group for some reason, which is why it generally has a nicer atmosphere - though you still see some bitter arguments rage at Avsim and Flightsim.com, with these [older] men that should know better 'throwing their toys out of the pram' .. FSW is without doubt the youngest of the FS forums, which is why it is the only place the 'cloud wars' rumbles on. I like it though, as there is a lot of enthusiasm there, and you don't tend to get massive threads on really tedius subjects, that I couldn't give a toss about.

Not wishing to start a 'water wars' but here is a couple of nice shots showing some FEX water, during theme testing, somewhere off of Queensland.

Great looking little helo Omzig - will have to give it a try...do you have a link?...
Old 06-11-08, 06:41 AM   #1336
Lith1um

I think the Avsim community has a substantial number of users who are pilots. But it can be a bit stuffy there and some of the mod's can be overzealous. And they want it to be a happy - happy place without a discenting voice so censorship can be a bit much at times.

And I'm 41.
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 11:52 AM   #1337
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA06 View Post
Yeah, flight simming has always attracted an older age group for some reason, which is why it generally has a nicer atmosphere - though you still see some bitter arguments rage at Avsim and Flightsim.com, with these [older] men that should know better 'throwing their toys out of the pram' .. FSW is without doubt the youngest of the FS forums, which is why it is the only place the 'cloud wars' rumbles on. I like it though, as there is a lot of enthusiasm there, and you don't tend to get massive threads on really tedius subjects, that I couldn't give a toss about.

Not wishing to start a 'water wars' but here is a couple of nice shots showing some FEX water, during theme testing, somewhere off of Queensland.

Great looking little helo Omzig - will have to give it a try...do you have a link?...
the link under the pic i posted takes you to the creators website
but the Lite (freeware) version of the pyro can be found at

http://www.mickposch.com/flightsim/P...r1_for_FSX.zip

Nice water shots are those from the upcoming FEX update? i read peter saying that the next major update is clouds and other bits and pieces will follow

Ive been making a few new replacement water textures myself for DX10 (not with fex but with PS and normal map filters)as the extra 3 layers MS added to the DX10 water shader are pixel'ed to hell and FEX doesnt alter these as yet....i did ask over at the FEX support forums if they where going to address this but my post was totally ignored....Seems there not to happy with the stuff i posted at FSW about FEX looking like a dead project because they havent updated there website since last Oct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lith1um View Post
I think the Avsim community has a substantial number of users who are pilots. But it can be a bit stuffy there and some of the mod's can be overzealous. And they want it to be a happy - happy place without a discenting voice so censorship can be a bit much at times.

And I'm 41.
Yet the mods over at AVsim are mega brownnosers,i still use there library but after the last batch of PT god worshiping an bashing/banning of ppl with legitimate complains i avoid there forums,that one mod they have geffo (i think) has his head so far up his ass its starting to poke out of his neck again

& Im 34 btw just incase anyone was wondering
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 01:27 PM   #1338
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
the link under the pic i posted takes you to the creators website
but the Lite (freeware) version of the pyro can be found at

http://www.mickposch.com/flightsim/P...r1_for_FSX.zip

Nice water shots are those from the upcoming FEX update? i read peter saying that the next major update is clouds and other bits and pieces will follow

Ive been making a few new replacement water textures myself for DX10 (not with fex but with PS and normal map filters)as the extra 3 layers MS added to the DX10 water shader are pixel'ed to hell and FEX doesnt alter these as yet....i did ask over at the FEX support forums if they where going to address this but my post was totally ignored....Seems there not to happy with the stuff i posted at FSW about FEX looking like a dead project because they havent updated there website since last Oct!

Yet the mods over at AVsim are mega brownnosers,i still use there library but after the last batch of PT god worshiping an bashing/banning of ppl with legitimate complains i avoid there forums,that one mod they have geffo (i think) has his head so far up his ass its starting to poke out of his neck again

& Im 34 btw just incase anyone was wondering
Oops cheers omzig, how did I miss that link - must be the eyesight failing with old age [just turned 40 BTW ]

That water was done using the current feature set, but new water textures and a designer for modifying them will come out after this update. You could try posting your question again at the new FEX site http://forum.flightenvironment.com/index.php if you havenít done so already - there are some issues with the server as I write, but this only seems to be in some areas. I don't think your bringing up the point about the site will have pee'd them off - it's true after all, and does not reflect well on their product.
Old 06-11-08, 03:49 PM   #1339
Bearclaw

Hey guys - I am looking for a cool helicopter where the landing gear can be retracted and extracted. Like the one posted a few posts above.

Anyone know of any good freeware choppers like that? I can't seem to find any...
Old 06-11-08, 03:52 PM   #1340
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Hey guys - I am looking for a cool helicopter where the landing gear can be retracted and extracted. Like the one posted a few posts above.

Anyone know of any good freeware choppers like that? I can't seem to find any...
Hey BC That is a freeware chopper i posted above just follow the links to the website or the download for the lite version!

Old 06-11-08, 03:54 PM   #1341
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
Hey BC That is a freeware chopper i posted above just follow the links to the website or the download for the lite version!
Oh, nice, I will check that out. I thought it was payware. Thanks!
Old 06-11-08, 05:37 PM   #1342
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Oh, nice, I will check that out. I thought it was payware. Thanks!
Well the Freeware version is labeled as "lite" and has some missing features/skins that are found in the payware version but it does give you a very good idea of how it handles/looks & its pretty cheap to step up to the payware version if you dig it

Laters
Giz
Old 06-11-08, 09:14 PM   #1343
Lith1um

Anyone into rc aircraft? I've read very good reviews of both of these "ready to fly" products. Both have lithium batteries and brushless outrunner motors. Should give 10 -15 minutes of flight time. As soon as the mustang is back in stock I'm gonna buy it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4400

http://parkflyers.com/html/mustang_p-51.html

This su27 looks cool,

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH..._BRUSHLESS_EDF

some cool planes at hobby lobby, including a blue angels f18. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/readytofly.htm
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 10:47 PM   #1344
Slides

Does anyone else get a crash in fsx and an error message accusing d3d9.dll of causing it? I've reinstalled drivers etc.