Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-11-08, 07:09 PM   #481
JigenD

Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
uhmm... when there is shooting involved in his game.. its a fps.. it may not be first person all the time..buts its a fps. If you are seriously denying this.. quit gaming now.

Mass effect is a traditional narrative adventure with FPS action parts (There is no platforming, there is no Blizzard 2 to cast, you dont build pylons, and you cant set commercial zones. You shoot stuff in 3d..thats fps) that use an rpg like level up system to gain special abilities.

thats it.
I wasn't paying attention to the recent posts, but a FPS = first person shooter, Mass Effect is mostly 3rd person in its shooting. One can complain about the shooting aspects of the game, but obviously the focus on the game isn't just the action. It's a Western Action RPG.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 07:24 PM   #482
ArrowMk84

The biggest problem with Mass Effect is that it tries to blend third person shooting with RPG mechanics. Now, its a decent implementation, especially for a first attempt, but it needs a lot of work (at it will probably be improved the next time around). But if I was coming from a purely shooter background, the mechanics would piss me off.

Personally, I would had preferred the KoTOR system. And I would had preferred the ability to shoot open or blow up containers that I couldn't hack, as opposed to having to skip them because my skill was too low or I didn't have enough omnigel.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 07:27 PM   #483
andy_nv

Highlight to read (spoiler for some):

Finished it and actually took the time to find all the minerals, insignias, medallions, matriarch writings, protheian data discs...
What I didn't manage to do was to scan all the keepers, the last one I could find stood beside the AI ("Please don not disturb the keepers !").
Just before going to Ilos I surveyed every system, landed on every possible planet and boarded all the ships I could find. You get a some extra side quests this way.
Desktop PC: Asus P5K, Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, Thermalright Ultra 120X, 2x 2GB Mushkin PC6400 ram, Gainward 8800GTS 512 @ 730/2000 MHz, X-fi Fatality Pro, 2x 36GB WD Raptor, 74GB WD Raptor, 320GB WD KS, Pioneer DVR-212 DBK , Seasonic S12+ 650W, Antec P160 -dual boot with XP32 SP3 and Vista 64 SP1.

Notebook: Asus X55 SV - Intel GM965, 2.2GHz T7500 CPU, 2x 2GB Corsair PC5300 (upgraded), 9500M GS 512MB, 250GB Seagate drive - XP64 SP2 .
andy_nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 07:31 PM   #484
shilk

If that's the case, then Resident Evil 4 is a FPS as well? It even has the same over-the-shoulder camera when shooting.

It practically has the same elements, from upgrading weapons and even modding them. Wait, it even has the same type of weapons. Shotgun? Check. Pistol? Check. Sniper Rifle? Check. Grenades? Check. Assult Rifle? Check!

I think should quit gaming because I'm so confused now.
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-08, 08:14 PM   #485
|MaguS|

Quote:
uhmm... when there is shooting involved in his game.. its a fps.. it may not be first person all the time..buts its a fps. If you are seriously denying this.. quit gaming now.

Mass effect is a traditional narrative adventure with FPS action parts (There is no platforming, there is no Blizzard 2 to cast, you dont build pylons, and you cant set commercial zones. You shoot stuff in 3d..thats fps) that use an rpg like level up system to gain special abilities.

thats it.
You're an idiot, no easy way to put it. You go to argue that because it has shooting its an FPS and give details to why but you ignore the most obvious flaw in your argument about it never taking placing in first person.

By your reasoning Neverwinter Nights is a hack and slash since its just point and click to attack enemies. But we all know thats not true, there is an RPG system working in the backbground that calculates dmg and hit change, no matter how fast and accurate you click.

Mass Effect is the same way, no matter how accurate you think your firing the game has mechanics in the background that work out your hit change, that is the RPG system. It calculates your stats and skills to see how much dmg and how often you hit.

Since when did RPG mean magic and fantasy combat? RPG is in definition a game that allows you to develop your character as the game goes on. The character in the game learns and grows as the game progresses, this is why Zelda is not an RPG because other then gaining items Link never grows or learns anything.
Old 06-12-08, 02:48 AM   #486
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

rpg stands 4 role playin game any game ware u play a role is a role playin game. d00m is a roll playin game is you play da roll of the universal space marine, prey is a rpg as you play tommy the indianan. nwn2 is not a rpg, u dun play a role, u make ur own character and play urself. so it no roll playing game. Crysis is a rollplayning game is you ply nomda who has to kill all the trigens on the aircraft carrier and boink that reporter cia chick ****ing game wont run proply on vista i hate it.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 02:53 AM   #487
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
rpg stands 4 role playin game any game ware u play a role is a role playin game. d00m is a roll playin game is you play da roll of the universal space marine, prey is a rpg as you play tommy the indianan. nwn2 is not a rpg, u dun play a role, u make ur own character and play urself. so it no roll playing game. Crysis is a rollplayning game is you ply nomda who has to kill all the trigens on the aircraft carrier and boink that reporter cia chick ****ing game wont run proply on vista i hate it.
I remember going to a Quake fan site in the late 90s that had some crappy outdated review of the original Quake demo from 96. The genius doing the review called the game "A first person RPG" several times.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 03:11 AM   #488
crainger

u play the roll of a... guy who has to kill da monsters and save that reporter cia chick from an evil fisting.

Old 06-12-08, 03:24 AM   #489
crainger

Don't be racist bob.
Old 06-12-08, 04:24 AM   #490
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

3rd person shooters are just first person shooters with the camera a little higher. Also yes, the game DOES have first person views when doing close up aiming.

RE4 is sort of a FPS, but its hack and slash elements + platforming make it pretty much an action platformer. Guns play a very small role.

I'm not saying the GAME is FPS, I am saying the game is using FPS for its action sequences. And for that, it fails.
Old 06-12-08, 05:23 AM   #491
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
3rd person shooters are just first person shooters with the camera a little higher. Also yes, the game DOES have first person views when doing close up aiming.

RE4 is sort of a FPS, but its hack and slash elements + platforming make it pretty much an action platformer. Guns play a very small role.

I'm not saying the GAME is FPS, I am saying the game is using FPS for its action sequences. And for that, it fails.
YEEEEEEEEEAHno. Not once do you see through your characters eyes, only from the outside, therefore, no FPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_person

Wiki, marvellous.
Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 07:46 AM   #492
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
You really do exist in your own little world don't you.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote