kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 04:01 PM   #26
mooninite

Default Re: NVidia and XRandR 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko3k
...Or at least to use xbacklight and save some watt

(bump, more than one year has gone...)
The date format on this forum is MM-DD-YY, but yes, it is very close to one year.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 12:39 AM   #27
matth45

Quote:
I appreciate that XRandR 1.2 is a new spec and that it takes time to make changes and my post wasn't a gripe about that
Now it's time to gripe about that.

Gripe gripe gripe.
matth45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 02:12 PM   #28
loswillios

I really like to see xrandr1.2. Currently the binary blob only allows me to use up to 640x480 on my 19" VGA-TFT With xrandr and my previous ATI card I could force a modeline/resolution to make it work with 1440x900 but the blob seems unable to do that.
loswillios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 08:26 AM   #29
tconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
It basically allows you to setup monitors add resolutions and so on while you are in X. This is basically similar to nvidia's dynamictwinview which they have offered for a while. The main difference is that xrandr 1.2 also allows rotation of individual screens.
And it would probably be less buggy than twinview. Right now, I'm struggling to find out why the hell twinview is treating it as if I had turned off ConstantDPI. I plug in a second monitor and get nvidia-settings to add it (that's another thing xrandr will do much better - I'll be able to script it instead of having to manually use some crappy GUI), the number of pixels go up, but as opposed to Appendix B, the screen dimensions don't change, and hence the DPI goes up to something stupid like 256x128, and all my fonts and movies become squashed.
tconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 02:47 AM   #30
Red69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnors View Post
And it would probably be less buggy than twinview. Right now, I'm struggling to find out why the hell twinview is treating it as if I had turned off ConstantDPI. I plug in a second monitor and get nvidia-settings to add it (that's another thing xrandr will do much better - I'll be able to script it instead of having to manually use some crappy GUI), the number of pixels go up, but as opposed to Appendix B, the screen dimensions don't change, and hence the DPI goes up to something stupid like 256x128, and all my fonts and movies become squashed.
I don't really need it so much, even KDE 3.5.9 screen config window still doesn't support XRandR 1.2. But I would like it because of the "PreferredMode" xorg.conf option.
Right now by default it starts with the max available resolution... but that resolution on my computer is also 60Hz, so I preffer a lower 1024x768 resolution at 85Hz. And right now to make it start at 1024x768 I need to completly remove support for higher resolutions... that I don't want for my desktop, but perhaps I want them for other things.
Red69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 02:26 AM   #31
voltaicsca

OK,
really, this is a bit silly. randr 1.2 has been out for well over a year, i believe, and there is at least one forum thread that i have found from about a year ago indicating that one of the lead *ix developers at nvidia seemed interested in getting this feature implemented (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...il/023694.html)

what happened?

I'm not posting to be a PITA, I just really would like a *little* information, even speculation as to when randr *MIGHT* be implemented in the nvidia driver.

twinview works only for *2* monitors that are side by side, and not rotated. this solution seems to work for an ever decreasing demographic.

anyway, it would be great to know a bit of detail as to what is going on over there at nvidia.
voltaicsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-08, 10:57 AM   #32
DeFKnoL

I have a three monitor / 2 video card system. The strong video card (7600) is running the center screen while the other cards' (Quadro4 NVS290) dual DVI out is running the side screens. Twinview could not do this since it needs the screens from one card to be next to each other. SO I use GDM with a triple X-server setup - I switch between them with the virtual console switching (ALT+F7-F9):

- F7: Each Monitor is a separate desktop - no dragging works between the winodws and all windows from the same application have to stay in the same window. But at least I can get all monitors working at the same time and have some graphics acelleration (opengl)

- F8: Full Xinerama support where all three monitors run the same desktop. I can drag windows across monitors - but no graphics acceleration

- F9: Only the center monitor works and has full graphical acceleration. Basically, the other two monitors and second card are wasted - but I can play opengl games here that can't handle the mouse leaving the screen.

I get the impression that with XRandR, I could have graphics acceleration in the F8 scenario that might remove the need for the other two servers.
DeFKnoL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-08, 05:40 AM   #33
voltaicsca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFKnoL View Post
I have a three monitor / 2 video card system. The strong video card (7600) is running the center screen while the other cards' (Quadro4 NVS290) dual DVI out is running the side screens. Twinview could not do this since it needs the screens from one card to be next to each other. SO I use GDM with a triple X-server setup - I switch between them with the virtual console switching (ALT+F7-F9):

- F7: Each Monitor is a separate desktop - no dragging works between the winodws and all windows from the same application have to stay in the same window. But at least I can get all monitors working at the same time and have some graphics acelleration (opengl)

- F8: Full Xinerama support where all three monitors run the same desktop. I can drag windows across monitors - but no graphics acceleration

- F9: Only the center monitor works and has full graphical acceleration. Basically, the other two monitors and second card are wasted - but I can play opengl games here that can't handle the mouse leaving the screen.

I get the impression that with XRandR, I could have graphics acceleration in the F8 scenario that might remove the need for the other two servers.
yep, i have a similar solution to the problem. Just kinda bothers me that we have to go through hoops to solve a problem that has had a solution written into the Xorg spec for around a year now.
it would be really cool if nvidia implemented randr 1.2 so we could throw our hacks away and use a compositing window manager on more than 2 screens.
but, maybe I'm wrong, however, we would never know, because nvidia doesn't really post any information as to what they are up to.
voltaicsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 08:48 AM   #34
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFKnoL View Post
Actually, no. Xrandr 1.2 only works with single video cards with multiple outputs. It does not support multiple video cards.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 04:43 PM   #35
hvengel

The nouveau driver now has full RandR 1.2 support for all GPU types except NV5x (IE. 8000 and 9000 series cards) and even that support is partly working. It appears to have had extensive testing on NV4x GPUs.

Both the Radeon and RadeonHD drivers now support RandR 1.2 So counting the Intel driver all of the major open source drivers now support RandR 1.2. It is only the proprietary drivers that are lagging so far behind.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 11:02 AM   #36
TheBlackCat

Another month and a half have passed. Any news yet? Is this going to happen? Even a simple yes or no at this point would be greatly appreciated. If it is, is it at least going to come out before randr 1.3 is released next year?
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote