Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-03, 01:47 AM   #1
Big_Baller868

Unhappy kernal update blues

1st off I am a Linux virgin. (I am running RH9) I just dipped my toes into it so bear with me. I finnaly got my onboard lan working (Abit Nf7-S v2) when d/l the tar and make then make install it. So 1st thing I do after getting internet as any lifetime Windows user would is I update via the Redhat network. It wants to update the kernal. sure only good could come right? It updated it to 2.4.20-19.9 Well no. now my onboard lan isn't recognized again. It won't work even when I boot into the older kernal (2.4.20.8). I tryed using the Tar again but it says stuff about bad numbers and won't work. I guess there is some fix for this but I am unsure where to look. Any help would be great. Oh how do you get out of X server (to install the video drivers is says I need to logout of "X server". Thanks
Big_Baller868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 06:48 AM   #2
AnvilDemon

Send a message via AIM to AnvilDemon

Well, I know the video card part of the question.

Goto a console and type init 3
Then hit enter and log on as root.
Then type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run" or whatever the file name is. If you use older drivers then the instaqll is different though.
Then type init 5 to get back to the X desktop.

Instead of doing make; make install on the tarball file for your nic have you tried going into the nvnet folder with a terminal and doing a make; make install there?
This worked for me instead of trying to do the entire file with sound and everything. Although I have only had partial success with it.

Hope some of this has helped.

Anvil
AnvilDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-03, 11:36 AM   #3
Big_Baller868

When I say make on the tar file is says there is nothing to do. When I go into the nvnet folder and say make it says it can't do anything with 'all' or somthing like that. If I say make install in that folder it gives me one line of code but does nothing. How do I down grade the kernal back to the orignal? Should I reinstall and avoid kernal updates?
Old 07-29-03, 05:12 PM   #4
Big_Baller868

Well I blew redhat off my system and re installed. No more new kernal so it works
Old 08-02-03, 07:09 PM   #5
russofris

With Linux, the generic installation procedure is

./configure
make
make install

If you update your kernel (or on subsequent installations), do the following to re-install.

./configure
make clean
make
make install

This cleans up the old stuff that was "made" last time.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote