Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-18-08, 08:48 PM   #85
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Another thing I really like is how OSX packages applications. If you want to install an application, you simply drag ONE file to the application folder. That's it. No bull**** 2000+ installation files necessary for an application to run like on Windows. If you want to uninstall an application, you simply drag it to the trash can. Prevents bloat. I like it.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:12 PM   #86
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Hmm... Couldn't get the DVD to boot. Any suggestions?
Does it even recognize the DVD? Do you get a darwin message?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:19 PM   #87
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Another thing I really like is how OSX packages applications. If you want to install an application, you simply drag ONE file to the application folder. That's it. No bull**** 2000+ installation files necessary for an application to run like on Windows. If you want to uninstall an application, you simply drag it to the trash can. Prevents bloat. I like it.
It took me a bit to realize that's the way it worked. I was trying to uninstall something and somebody ended up telling me I just drag the app to the trash and that's it. Excuse me?!?! Now that is a feature I can get use to.

The only thing I don't like, and this is probably only because I'm so use to managing resources on Windows systems, is that when you close an app like Safari by clicking the red button the app still remains in system memory and is sort of running back there. A lot of apps require you to do another right click on the icon and select 'quit' or you can click the Apple at the top left of the screen and select 'force quit' and it'll give you a list of apps that are running in the background which you can close. I don't really like that. When I'm done with something, I'm done. I don't want it hanging around in memory. So far, that's my only gripe.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:33 PM   #88
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
It took me a bit to realize that's the way it worked. I was trying to uninstall something and somebody ended up telling me I just drag the app to the trash and that's it. Excuse me?!?! Now that is a feature I can get use to.

The only thing I don't like, and this is probably only because I'm so use to managing resources on Windows systems, is that when you close an app like Safari by clicking the red button the app still remains in system memory and is sort of running back there. A lot of apps require you to do another right click on the icon and select 'quit' or you can click the Apple at the top left of the screen and select 'force quit' and it'll give you a list of apps that are running in the background which you can close. I don't really like that. When I'm done with something, I'm done. I don't want it hanging around in memory. So far, that's my only gripe.
I kind of like that feature actually. If I close firefox for example, since it's already in memory, it will startup instantly. Firefox loads fast anyway, but with apps that use a lot of memory (like photoshop, etc) it can be a really good feature. And if you want to unload them all you have to do is right click and click quit.

So I installed Office 2008. In short - it sucks compared to Office 2007. It's a lot better than Open Office, that's for sure, but it lags like crazy on large documents. Since I'm currently working on a document around 60+ pages, it's a deal breaker for me. And Office 2007 for Vista is a LOT better interface wise. I can format things a lot quicker. I mean, I doubt Microsoft is going to make their office suite better for the Mac than on their own OS.

But OSX is a great OS. If all you do is surf the internet, listen to music, send emails, view photos, etc, it is way better than windows. It looks prettier too. But when you start to look at actually doing work Windows has an advantage due to the sheer variety of applications for it.
Old 06-18-08, 10:15 PM   #89
six_storm

Quote:
I kind of like that feature actually. If I close firefox for example, since it's already in memory, it will startup instantly. Firefox loads fast anyway, but with apps that use a lot of memory (like photoshop, etc) it can be a really good feature. And if you want to unload them all you have to do is right click and click quit.

So I installed Office 2008. In short - it sucks compared to Office 2007. It's a lot better than Open Office, that's for sure, but it lags like crazy on large documents. Since I'm currently working on a document around 60+ pages, it's a deal breaker for me. And Office 2007 for Vista is a LOT better interface wise. I can format things a lot quicker. I mean, I doubt Microsoft is going to make their office suite better for the Mac than on their own OS.

But OSX is a great OS. If all you do is surf the internet, listen to music, send emails, view photos, etc, it is way better than windows. It looks prettier too. But when you start to look at actually doing work Windows has an advantage due to the sheer variety of applications for it.
You think it sucks compared to 2007? I really don't like Office 2007 where it's so different from 2003. 2003 was pretty close to perfect but MS had to make it "dummy proof" and they failed at that. Office for Mac is more like 2003, so that's why I like it.

OSX is an awesome OS. I think the popularity of Macs will only increase in the next 5-10 years, so more apps for OSX will be available then. I just hope that Apple can learn from the Microsoft model a little bit and vice versa
Old 06-18-08, 10:51 PM   #90
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Does it even recognize the DVD? Do you get a darwin message?
I put it in the DVD Drive, powered on the PC, and it said, System Error, please insert hard disk.

Maybe a bad burn. Try burning at a slower speed?
Old 06-18-08, 11:23 PM   #91
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
You think it sucks compared to 2007? I really don't like Office 2007 where it's so different from 2003. 2003 was pretty close to perfect but MS had to make it "dummy proof" and they failed at that. Office for Mac is more like 2003, so that's why I like it.

OSX is an awesome OS. I think the popularity of Macs will only increase in the next 5-10 years, so more apps for OSX will be available then. I just hope that Apple can learn from the Microsoft model a little bit and vice versa

I guess that's my problem. 2008 is basically 2003 plus a few new things. It's not bad, but it's not great either. 2007 changed the interface a lot, and if you don't take the time to learn how the new interface works, it can be a little frustrating. But once you know what you are doing, you can do things like 40% faster than in 2003. I wouldn't all it dummy proof. They actually added a lot of new features.
Old 06-19-08, 12:29 AM   #92
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

So its only going to cost me less than 2k to get a fully loaded 15'' MBP
I get a deal through my college. Woot.
Plus I get a free 8gb Ipod touch
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-08, 08:42 AM   #93
Bearclaw

Nice!
Old 06-19-08, 08:51 AM   #94
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathemetal View Post
So its only going to cost me less than 2k to get a fully loaded 15'' MBP
I get a deal through my college. Woot.
Plus I get a free 8gb Ipod touch
That's awesome man! Enjoy it, I know you will.

So here is a problem I've been having with OSX on PC. Whenever you leave the screensaver on for more than 20 minutes or if I use Logmein from work, my screen goes blue and stays until I reboot the computer. What gives? If I have time today, I'm gonna go look over at InsanelyMac's forums.
Old 06-19-08, 09:04 AM   #95
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
I put it in the DVD Drive, powered on the PC, and it said, System Error, please insert hard disk.

Maybe a bad burn. Try burning at a slower speed?
If you can, try using an IDE DVD Drive.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 09:42 AM   #96
ViN86

Quote:
FF3 is defiantly better than safari. It seems a little faster, cleaner, and the add-ins just seal the deal. Both are a step up from IE.

As far as more accessible, I mean that I'm able to use my time on the computer much more efficiently. It's little things. Like the dashboard app on the dock for example. And time I ever need to use the calculator, check the weather, etc, it's just one click away. In windows, I have to click through annoying menus to get to it. I know you can just make a shortcut to whatever you want on the taskbar, but the dock on OSX just feels easier to use. It's so much more intuitive

And I love the simplicity of applications like Mail, Address Book, and iCal. So much nicer than that bloatware known as Outlook. I might just ditch Vista and keep OSX on one drive, and install XP on another in case I ever need to play a game.

I have ran into two minor glitches. One the USB 2.0 driver is kind of wonky. I had some trouble getting my iPhone to recognize on the system. All of a sudden it started working though, so hopefully it keeps up. And there is also this weird thing where it won't connect to the internet on startup. I have to go in and reset the DHCP connection. Not a show stopper, but it is annoying.
im sure you can set a DHCP reset command on startup. google around and im sure you will find it. that should alleviate that minor annoyance. i hate those tiny things that are so damn repetitive.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote