Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-19-08, 02:42 PM   #37
particleman

Default Re: Just got my GTX 280 and some Problems

damn, I hope mine isn't the same problem. I picked up a new powersupply today and hope that resolves the issue for me, will test it when I get home. If it's overheating couldn't we reapply the thermal paste ourselves and make sure it makes proper contact? Of course that may void the warranty.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 02:49 PM   #38
AMC_Duke
Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
damn, I hope mine isn't the same problem. I picked up a new powersupply today and hope that resolves the issue for me, will test it when I get home. If it's overheating couldn't we reapply the thermal paste ourselves and make sure it makes proper contact? Of course that may void the warranty.
Well for the premium price we pay for this cards it should not be our problem at all
AMC_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 04:41 PM   #39
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Thats sucks. However, the 360's arent problem free the failure rate is like 40% on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 04:59 PM   #40
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Thats sucks. However, the 360's arent problem free the failure rate is like 40% on them.
I know. But if it's broken it's broken. You don't have to mess around with it, no messing with drivers, guess what's wrong etc. You just send it back and they fix it for you...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 05:06 PM   #41
GitDat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingawake View Post
Ahh okay, darn.. I'm guessing Rivatuner doesn't work with the 280's yet ??
Yeah, does Rivatuner 2.09 work with GTX 280's? I'm getting really goofy readings on the clock settings. I just wanted to make sure it's not just me
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 05:14 PM   #42
mojoman0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
I know. But if it's broken it's broken. You don't have to mess around with it, no messing with drivers, guess what's wrong etc. You just send it back and they fix it for you...
Thats what makes computers so fun though isn't it? The work put in to get things to work. It's like spending 15 minutes blowing on an NES cartridge or scraping it on the carpet to get it to boot. Oh the good times.
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 05:15 PM   #43
Shocky

Reached 105C in Crysis with my GTX 280 and noise from the fan was awful, I might try re-applying the thermal paste but then again I might just send it back for a refund.
Shocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 05:27 PM   #44
particleman

Well I installed my new PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 QUAD powersupply and put a slot fan on the backside of the 280 GTX to suck out hot air off the back and these two things have fixed my issues, my 280 GTX is now stable. My temps are 45 degrees idle and 80 degrees underload.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-08, 05:48 PM   #45
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

Wow I feel so bad for you guys experiencing problems with your cards.

It's painfully obvious these are running HOTT..

I think we need a bios update or something... in the meantime
keep em running as cool as you can !!!
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 06:06 PM   #46
MikeC
Administrator

I wanted to let you know that I have reported this thread to my contacts at NVIDIA. I actually experienced a similar issue with the GeForce GTX 280 FTW Edition from EVGA in that NVIDIA's system monitor reported a GPU temperature of 104C within a few seconds of running the RTHDRIBL utility.

When I noticed the extreme temperature, I immediately shut down the utility and my system and attempted to remove the graphics card, but it was extremely hot to the touch. After waiting a few minutes I removed the graphics card and installed the NVIDIA reference graphics card I received, along with re-installing the drivers. The temps on the NVIDIA reference graphics card reached a peak of 78C running RTHDRIBL.

I then removed the NVIDIA reference graphics card and re-installed the EVGA graphics card, which ran fine with peak temps reaching 80C as it is moderately overclocked. I apologize for not mentioning this in the review, but I thought this incident was a fluke. Now that other people are experiencing a similar issue, there may be more to this than I originally thought.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 06:13 PM   #47
GitDat

What are you guys using to monitor temps and for overclocking? I can't use Rivatuner because it's reporting my clock speeds very low. Strange thig is, NVIDIA System Monitor reads the same thing but NVIDIA Performance under View System Information it displays the correct clock speeds.
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 06:17 PM   #48
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I wanted to let you know that I have reported this thread to my contacts at NVIDIA. I actually experienced a similar issue with the GeForce GTX 280 FTW Edition from EVGA in that NVIDIA's system monitor reported a GPU temperature of 104C within a few seconds of running the RTHDRIBL utility.

When I noticed the extreme temperature, I immediately shut down the utility and my system and attempted to remove the graphics card, but it was extremely hot to the touch. After waiting a few minutes I removed the graphics card and installed the NVIDIA reference graphics card I received, along with re-installing the drivers. The temps on the NVIDIA reference graphics card reached a peak of 78C running RTHDRIBL.

I then removed the NVIDIA reference graphics card and re-installed the EVGA graphics card, which ran fine with peak temps reaching 80C as it is moderately overclocked. I apologize for not mentioning this in the review, but I thought this incident was a fluke. Now that other people are experiencing a similar issue, there may be more to this than I originally thought.
Thanks for reporting this so much man..

I'm really worried about my 'investment' now !! It looks like no more gaming
until this get's sorted out...
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote