Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-19-08, 06:17 PM   #49
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

Default Re: Just got my GTX 280 and some Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitDat View Post
What are you guys using to monitor temps and for overclocking? I can't use Rivatuner because it's reporting my clock speeds very low. Strange thig is, NVIDIA System Monitor reads the same thing but NVIDIA Performance under View System Information it displays the correct clock speeds.
Using Evga Precision software that came with the card. It's very nice
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:53 PM   #50
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I wanted to let you know that I have reported this thread to my contacts at NVIDIA. I actually experienced a similar issue with the GeForce GTX 280 FTW Edition from EVGA in that NVIDIA's system monitor reported a GPU temperature of 104C within a few seconds of running the RTHDRIBL utility.

When I noticed the extreme temperature, I immediately shut down the utility and my system and attempted to remove the graphics card, but it was extremely hot to the touch. After waiting a few minutes I removed the graphics card and installed the NVIDIA reference graphics card I received, along with re-installing the drivers. The temps on the NVIDIA reference graphics card reached a peak of 78C running RTHDRIBL.

I then removed the NVIDIA reference graphics card and re-installed the EVGA graphics card, which ran fine with peak temps reaching 80C as it is moderately overclocked. I apologize for not mentioning this in the review, but I thought this incident was a fluke. Now that other people are experiencing a similar issue, there may be more to this than I originally thought.
Mine went up in smoke too. I'm actually sending the card back to BFG today. 620e for the card to get it as fast as possible, and another 30 now to send it back, plus 150e for the new psu I bought just to make sure the card got enough juice... This is costing me a fortune and I don't even have a card to game with...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 11:28 PM   #51
particleman

Well I spoke too soon, I still get black screens and crashes. It have no idea what the problem is because sometimes it works fine, then other times it will crash within a minute. I feel tempted to put my 8800 GTX back in, at least with that I was gaming instead of constantly troubleshooting. The 280 GTX thus far has been the most problematic video card I have ever owned.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:46 AM   #52
pingu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I wanted to let you know that I have reported this thread to my contacts at NVIDIA. I actually experienced a similar issue with the GeForce GTX 280 FTW Edition from EVGA in that NVIDIA's system monitor reported a GPU temperature of 104C within a few seconds of running the RTHDRIBL utility.

When I noticed the extreme temperature, I immediately shut down the utility and my system and attempted to remove the graphics card, but it was extremely hot to the touch. After waiting a few minutes I removed the graphics card and installed the NVIDIA reference graphics card I received, along with re-installing the drivers. The temps on the NVIDIA reference graphics card reached a peak of 78C running RTHDRIBL.

I then removed the NVIDIA reference graphics card and re-installed the EVGA graphics card, which ran fine with peak temps reaching 80C as it is moderately overclocked. I apologize for not mentioning this in the review, but I thought this incident was a fluke. Now that other people are experiencing a similar issue, there may be more to this than I originally thought.
I didnt really undestand this post.. are you saying you installed card A, found it got too hot, removed it and installed card B, then removed card B and reinstalled card A which then ran OK?
pingu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:53 AM   #53
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu2 View Post
I didnt really undestand this post.. are you saying you installed card A, found it got too hot, removed it and installed card B, then removed card B and reinstalled card A which then ran OK?
That's what he said. What I don't like about this is that you card could be ok, and then go bad in a moment's notice. Ie, a user might have been using the card without problems and then BAM! all of a sudden, you get overheating...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

Boycott Starforce...

Old 06-20-08, 03:15 AM   #54
pingu2

well if that's what he means then clearly it's a software issue not a hardware one? so the card hasnt "gone bad" - rather the software is screwing up?

my gtx280 is also running hot (or says it is), I have applied arctic silver etc but its not made any difference.. even with fan running at 100% it reaches 105c in vantage test 2 - however I am not convinced it is actually reaching that temp - it doesnt feel that hot, and I get no artifacts etc.. it throttles back when it says its at 105c and then runs fine at 104/105 indefinately (by alternating between full/throttled speed)
Old 06-20-08, 04:27 AM   #55
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu2 View Post
well if that's what he means then clearly it's a software issue not a hardware one? so the card hasnt "gone bad" - rather the software is screwing up?

my gtx280 is also running hot (or says it is), I have applied arctic silver etc but its not made any difference.. even with fan running at 100% it reaches 105c in vantage test 2 - however I am not convinced it is actually reaching that temp - it doesnt feel that hot, and I get no artifacts etc.. it throttles back when it says its at 105c and then runs fine at 104/105 indefinately (by alternating between full/throttled speed)
I don't think the problem is with software. The card's temperature is monitored by the onboard sensor which has nothing to do with drivers AFAIK. The bios regulates the fan based on the threshold set on the card. If the problem is indeed the sensor, then you'd have to disable the sensor (if possible) and set the fan manually. I don't think the problem is with the card itself, the chip can't be that problematic so that it overheats even in Windows.

Again though, we're talking about terrible Quality Assurance. You don't miss problems this obvious...

Boycott Starforce...

Old 06-20-08, 06:22 AM   #56
pingu2

i didnt uninstall or clean my old 8800gtx drivers before installing, will try that over the weekend..

but my point was that if installing card B somehow fixes card A then surely that shows it is a software problem (as the hardware/bios havent changed)

Old 06-20-08, 06:54 AM   #57
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Sorry to hear about these problems and I hope they get worked out for you guys. Not buying new hardware at release time FTW. I learned my lesson with the 360.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 07:31 AM   #58
K007

looks like i might hold out on my order..i really don't have the time to deal with another 7900 series fiasco.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 08:48 AM   #59
pizzaguy
*BANNED*

I remember the faulty resistor issue on the 8800GTX when it was launched. Fortunately my launch 8800GTX did not suffer from this but many others did including a friend that had 2 8800GTX's with faulty resistors.

This is why I am not biting at launch this time and so far I am glad that I didnt.
pizzaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 10:13 AM   #60
particleman

Has gotten any sort of explanation as to what the problem is from support? I am beginning to lean towards a heat or heat sensor issue as well. My idle temperatures start off fine after about 15 minutes the temperature is still only @45 degrees, but after I play a game even after @5 minutes my temperatures are still @65 degrees. Also when my screen goes black (no signal) it is like the card turns itself right off, I can no longer hear the roaring 280 GTX fan everything on the card just stops, so I think it may be exceeding the temperature threshold. I agree with the other observations that the card isn't actually that hot though, my 8800 GTX felt hotter to the touch, and I don't get any artifacts before the card turns itself off.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote