Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-08, 05:26 AM   #1381
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA06 View Post
omzig - hope you like the GenX scenery. Photoscenery can feel a bit odd to start with, after the default, due to lack of Autogen, but as you know that can be added - at least to some degree.

Take a look at http://www.shepsshed.com/autogentrees.htm for some trees for you area - unfortunately vfraddons, another good site for agn seem to be defunct now - but I have a cd with all available agn on it, which I can let you have a copy of if you PM me.

If you join the Horizon forum [great little friendly place, with tons of free airfields and good advice and help] you can ask 'Ananda' for a link to his agn2genx placement tool, this puts all the agn files into the correct volume and area.
Sounds great many thanks for your kind offer i've already had a poke around sheps shed a few days ago that along with your shots made me drop for the genX

i have a bit of photogen already (france VFR packages & i have TP setup) and agree that they can feel a little strange without the autogen mainly i find it looks strange at a distance as im expecting to see tree line poking above the hill sides

i dropped in the genx demo while i wait on the post man & found that the sense of scale seems so much better with genx than any other Photo(or non photo)scenery i've used,im sure this also has todo with the 5m mesh that adds quite alot to the detail

to be honest this will be the first time ive spent anytime flying in/around the UK due mainly to the fact that Aces seem to ignore anything outside the US detail wise,im sure i'll find it quite interesting to see what my area looks like from the sky! im sure i'll be adding autogen to my town if its not already been done

Cheers
Gizmo
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 06:30 PM   #1382
yxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Just did a second test with the new card and FSX performance is still on par with the 8800GTX and the 9800GX2, so definitely no issues so far. That's with the 177.35 drivers btw.

Advanced AA settings do work in DX9, so only DX10 is affected. I guess I have to use the ingame AA settings from now on.
that's good news so far. at least it's on par and not worse so far. i realize the game is major CPU Dependant but it would seem kinda weird for a new card like that to make it worse.

On a side note slaWter what kind of ram usage are you getting with vista64.
i have vista but got impatient with it a while back (pre sp1). i am thinking about putting it back on cause I'm constantly running out of ram with fsx since i got a quad. i believe xp only can handle 2gigs per application so i always get the "fsx has run out of memory"
yxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 07:24 PM   #1383
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
I must admit I was very disappointed with the 'Natural world trees' with the flat textures, and there didn't appear to be much, if any, seasonal variation [same with TreeX] - do you find that with them Silly?
I only fly with summer textures, except with FTX I use spring. At first I really liked the NWTrees, but then after I tested them in some more areas I found lots of cases where I did not like them as much as the defaults, due to the "sparse" look and flat textures. I actually tried to revert back to the defaults but it will not revert, so I'm stuck with them unless I want to do a repair install. Alexi emailed me and said he will be updating the package as time goes, that he wanted to get the pack out as he did not know if people would even be interested in it.

SJA06, could you do me a favor if you get time, and take a couple shots showing FEX using the Default 'Fair Weather' theme and Cloud Density set to Medium? Thats about the only setting I fly with at the moment since I'm stuck at 3.0Ghz for now and don't have any CPU cycles to spare given my autogen settings.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 06-20-08, 11:49 PM   #1384
yxx

just saw this FAQ on the new fex update

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru....asp?TID=26930

i'm downloading now.
yxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 02:39 AM   #1385
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle View Post
SJA06, could you do me a favor if you get time, and take a couple shots showing FEX using the Default 'Fair Weather' theme and Cloud Density set to Medium? Thats about the only setting I fly with at the moment since I'm stuck at 3.0Ghz for now and don't have any CPU cycles to spare given my autogen settings.
Sure thing - I'm downloading the full update at the moment, but will post some asap.

I just tried Autumn with the default agn, but still see no colours - I think my autogendescriptions file may be a fault here, as it's overwritten.

Glad to hear there will be an update to NWT I will give it another try when it's released.
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 06:49 AM   #1386
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
I'm stuck with them unless I want to do a repair install. Alexi emailed me and said he will be updating the package as time goes, that he wanted to get the pack out as he did not know if people would even be interested in it.
Hey silly

Check you NWTrees install folder in there there is a Backups.FSX folder which stores multi backups of the tree texture from your fsx install
ever time you install the NWtrees the folders are labeled by date so you should find a full backup of your original FSX trees in there Just sellect them all and copy them to you

x:\FSXinstall\Texture\

folder overwritting whats there that should drop you back to the default trees if not fire me a PM and i'll pack them up in a zip for you

laters
Giz

Genx Vol 2 has arrived and FEX update is coming down...might need to jig a few other partions around to add some extra space to my FSX partion!
Old 06-21-08, 09:55 AM   #1387
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
The FSX weather themes don't really do much for FEX, as they tend to create sheep type clouds.

Im not sure what my cloud density was here, I forgot that you asked for med - I think it's high...but it gives you an idea.

Old 06-21-08, 10:43 AM   #1388
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
The FSX weather themes don't really do much for FEX, as they tend to create sheep type clouds.

Im not sure what my cloud density was here, I forgot that you asked for med - I think it's high...but it gives you an idea.
Hey thanks. So does FEX add themes to the themes menu, or do you have to make all changes through the config menu?

I'm just reluctant to get it because I tested XGraphics, and not only did the interface suck but there were no themes. Short of manually selecting 101 variables there was really no way to easily pick something cool and fly, and for the life of me I simply could not set up anything that appealed to me. The XGraphics clouds did look really cool when selecting the default Stormy Weather theme, but when it came to blue sky fair weather flying I liked the default better.

For me I would like to keep the default blue sky color, but get some cool cumulonimbus clouds to fly though. I'm mostly a fair weather flier and it seems the default is hard to beat when it come to that, but if its got a good config tool I can probably get things setup the way I want. I might just have to get it and see. Peter told me he would make sure I get my money back if I dont like it, so I suppose there is nothing to lose. lol
EVGA Intel X58

Old 06-21-08, 01:54 PM   #1389
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Quote:
Hey thanks. So does FEX add themes to the themes menu, or do you have to make all changes through the config menu?

I'm just reluctant to get it because I tested XGraphics, and not only did the interface suck but there were no themes. Short of manually selecting 101 variables there was really no way to easily pick something cool and fly, and for the life of me I simply could not set up anything that appealed to me. The XGraphics clouds did look really cool when selecting the default Stormy Weather theme, but when it came to blue sky fair weather flying I liked the default better.

For me I would like to keep the default blue sky color, but get some cool cumulonimbus clouds to fly though. I'm mostly a fair weather flier and it seems the default is hard to beat when it come to that, but if its got a good config tool I can probably get things setup the way I want. I might just have to get it and see. Peter told me he would make sure I get my money back if I dont like it, so I suppose there is nothing to lose. lol
FEX does not add themes to the FSX list, but you can create complete 'master themes' in FEX it's self, which you can load in before firing up FSX. I know it's another thing to do before you get to fly, but I think the result is worth the effort... HOWEVER once those combinations are in there, you don't need to touch FEX again, unless you fancy a change.

If you don't want to lose the default FSX sky then just make sure you don't tick the 'install skies' box in the 'install options'...having said that I bet you could find one, or better still, create one that's even better, or just the same.

I don't want to sound like a pushy sales man here , but as you said yourself, with the money back 30-day offer, you don't have much to lose...oh and just look at slaWter's screenies.

Nice work S.
Old 06-21-08, 02:13 PM   #1390
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I posted this in another thread but hopefully someone here can give me some more solid info.
-----

What is it that makes a flight sim so CPU limited? I've never really understood that.

How can hundreds of AI soldiers in an RTS or dozens of bots in a first person shooter (with realistic physics) run at 80+ fps when Flight Simulators seem to be stuck in the 20s indefinitely?

How can they be THAT CPU heavy with a single object moving through the air?

If they are actually simulating the movement of air over the wings, I can see how that'd bring a decent CPU load... but looking back at the numbers, it still seems like a bit of a stretch to think that the fastest cpu on the market can barely manage 30fps average.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 03:53 PM   #1391
JigenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
I posted this in another thread but hopefully someone here can give me some more solid info.
-----

What is it that makes a flight sim so CPU limited? I've never really understood that.

How can hundreds of AI soldiers in an RTS or dozens of bots in a first person shooter (with realistic physics) run at 80+ fps when Flight Simulators seem to be stuck in the 20s indefinitely?

How can they be THAT CPU heavy with a single object moving through the air?

If they are actually simulating the movement of air over the wings, I can see how that'd bring a decent CPU load... but looking back at the numbers, it still seems like a bit of a stretch to think that the fastest cpu on the market can barely manage 30fps average.
I think it's because MS Flight Sim is a patchwork mess collected over many generations. I can think of a lot of flight sims that ran well when they were new. IL-2 Sturmovik series is one of those. Lockon only ran poorly because it was pretty cutting edge and probably didn't have the best coders.

None of these flight simulators do as much simulation as I'd like, the fact that you can fly a 747 under the golden gate bridge with relative ease under full simulation conditions in FSX (I've done this in the game) is proof of that.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 04:00 PM   #1392
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Well 2 factors i can think of stright out of the box would be

1.The guy's who program the engines are so behind the times they might as well still have voodoo 1's in there dev boxes

the main problem is most of those guys have been working on there CPU based FS engines for so long they just dont know how to transition that bloated code to GPU's

My 8800GTS 640mb running at 1680x1050 X16 AF X8S AA never spikes above 65 oC running FSX in DX10 mode but mass effect on the other hand gets it upto about 77 oC same fans settings

just from that you can see that the GPU is'nt doing half the work it should.....

the other thing i can think of is that a lot of simmer's are'nt gamers and really dont know much about PC hardware....so dev's beat on the fact that there dell PC while it might not have a very good GPU might have a half way decent CPU

I think we'll see a change in FS FPS from FSXI onwards Aces have been slammed left right and center for the ****ty performance of FSX & on the highest end rigs its relatively slow base on the hardware it running under i dout it will ever run full tilt because its coding is sobad and such a CPU hog

Aces also beat on higher Mhz cpu's to do the work for them and the **** hit the fan when intel decide to go multicore,they've made a few changes with the SP's to get the numbers up but its seen as many as too little to late...but thats another rant

Any hows here a few shot from the FEX SHD & GenX vol2 more to come as i play with the new content....water normal are my own custom work not part of FEX