Old 06-20-08, 12:00 PM   #613
shilk

Default Re: Mass Effect (PC) Feedback Thread

Wow, so soon?
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 12:05 PM   #614
|MaguS|

Well Bioware now has alot better funding and Corp support due to the EA takeover. Im sure EA will hire more staff for the studio now since they will be pumping out RPG/s every year now.

EA's model is that every studio has a single focus so they can cover all genre's.
Old 06-20-08, 01:38 PM   #615
shilk

Sounds good to me. I haven't kept in touch with EA in like, forever. I do remember them aquiring Bioware though. The internet was screaming loud enough that I didn't even need a PC to see what was going on.
Old 06-21-08, 04:04 AM   #616
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

I just found out I'm onto the last mission, and I was like wtf I've barely started? I'm just getting into the flow of the game and starting to use the powers in combos and such and I at the end....

I think the interface, inventory in particular is just quite bad, it does not flow well at all. I don't think some of the gameplay elements are fleshed out very well. Seems like it was designed to be a movie/cinematic experience before a game. Some of the story missions are basically a single road curved around mountains with geth scattered every 100m. That kind of gameplay by itself is pretty meh. I could go on, but primarily I don't think they spent enough time on gameplay, and spent a lot of time on story/dialog and I really dig the story and dialog work.

I'll probably have to play through again to get a picture of what can and can't be done which may change my mind about things. I'm sure I'd enjoy the game more too.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 08:53 AM   #617
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
I think the interface, inventory in particular is just quite bad, it does not flow well at all. I don't think some of the gameplay elements are fleshed out very well. Seems like it was designed to be a movie/cinematic experience before a game. Some of the story missions are basically a single road curved around mountains with geth scattered every 100m. That kind of gameplay by itself is pretty meh. I could go on, but primarily I don't think they spent enough time on gameplay, and spent a lot of time on story/dialog and I really dig the story and dialog work.
Totally agree. Just like MGS4, too much darn story and not enough gameplay. Levels are small and samey. Inventory was clunky useful as a glass hammer.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 11:35 AM   #618
K007

Those using sli or has the latest driver...whats the sli profile code for mass effect? atm i got gears of war profile setup to pick mass effect

btw the shadows in this game suck alot. Character shadows on the face/etc are horrible to look at...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 12:52 PM   #619
shilk

Read my post about the shadow fix.

Until the patch rolls out, we probably won't see any graphical fixes since they dropped the ball on this one.
Old 06-21-08, 07:06 PM   #620
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I doubt we will see any graphic fixes except for Garrus. The Shadows are that way no matter what, well maybe in ME2. Depends if the 360 can handle better shadows.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-08, 07:27 PM   #621
shilk

Oh wait. Didn't someone say the shadows were like this in the 360 version as well?
Old 06-21-08, 07:38 PM   #622
|MaguS|

Yes, It's an engine flaw...
Old 06-21-08, 08:19 PM   #623
JigenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
Oh wait. Didn't someone say the shadows were like this in the 360 version as well?
My friend who owns the PC version and played the 360 version a lot says they're worse on PC. If someone could post some shots of the shadow artifacting here I could tell you. It's not a flaw of the engine, it's a flaw of the technique shadow mapping, but there are ways to mend it.

Best thing they could do is zoom in the shadow mapping for close ups with characters (optimally with tiers so the background shadows wouldn't disappear).
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 08:44 PM   #624
|MaguS|

Its worse on the PC because the image is alot clearer. I barely noticed it on the X360 but on the PC its easy to see because of the higher resolution.

Yes it is a flaw on the engine, it's just that many UE3 games don't have as much shadowing going on. I mean look at R6 and Unreal... they barely have any compared to Mass Effect.