Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-22-08, 12:53 AM   #1
Malichite

Default Odd discovery with GTX280 and XWA working again

I know this is an old game that most don't give a crap about, but half the enjoyment of buying a new video card is replaying some of those old classics with 16xQ AA . Either way since the release of the 8xxx series cards a handful of old games like X-wing Alliance and Mech Commander 2 weren't playable due to graphic anomalies like missing / flashing / tearing textures. I really wasn't expecting any change from the 8xxx series, but I decided to fire up XWA just to see if anything changed on my GTX 280 and to my surprise the game seems to be rendering correctly again!

I unfortunately am one of those new GTX 280 owners that is suffering from massive overheating (100+C is less than a minute with FurMark), so the card is being RMAed and I am back using my 8800GTX again. Either way I can confirm that this is not a driver issue as I am using the same version forceware on my 8800GTX and the problem of missing texture once anything is targeted with a planet in view has returned. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new card and hopefully no further trouble, but I figured this odd behavior may be of interest to some.

-Malichite
Old 06-22-08, 08:14 AM   #2
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Odd discovery with GTX280 and XWA working again

Wow, is Furmark that much of a beast? I know I'm water cooled but Furmark for 30 mins maxed my OC'd GTX out at 41 deg C. I have come out a games and been a few degrees hotter than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 08:51 AM   #3
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Malichite, do you have Republic Commando? If so, can you set the Bump Mapping (I think it was) to something above Low and it run correctly? Just curious.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 01:40 PM   #4
Malichite

The card is already boxed for return to newegg, but I will definitely try Republic Commando out once I get my replacement. I never replayed that on my 8800GTX so I guess I was oblivious to its graphic anomalies.

As for FurMark, there isn't anything special about this except that it exposes the overheating problem so quickly (less than a minute after booting WinXP from cold start) to remove complaints about poor airflow or high ambient temps. The card also overheats in Oblivion, Crysis, or rthdrbl too, they just take 5-10 minutes versus the 1 minute on FurMark. Actually in Crysis or Oblivion the card starts to throttle and give extremely jerking gameplay (full fps, slow to 10-15fps, full fps, slow to 10-15 fps, repeat) similar to comments made by another reviewer in one of the GTX 280 reviews I read over tha past week. MikeC from nVNews also said that he noticed a similar problem on the nVidia reference card, but he figured it was a fluke since the eVga he swapped in worked better.

Currently theories are that a bad batch slipped through nVidia and there may be poor contact between the silicon and the heat spreader. Thus even though there is good contact between the heatsink and the heat spreader, the silicon beneath still overheats. Either way I knew that the GTX 280 was going to run hotter than my 8800GTX with a HR-03 plus, but hitting 100C+ on a brand new $670 card is ridiculous.
Old 06-22-08, 11:11 PM   #5
Malichite

Well I got curious and unboxed my RMA to take a look and give the tests a few more tries, but still having the same overheating problem. I was however able to give Republic Commando a test run, but yes anything above LOW on bump mapping causes the program to crash. I wasn't familiar with the issue, but I figured this must be what you were talking about.
Old 07-25-08, 02:55 PM   #6
s1kb45trd

i got my gtx280 replaced since i had a 7-day return police from the the reseller. they didn't seem surprised, strangely enough. anyways, the new card runs fine so far, definitely better and more stable than the previous one.

mine wasn't even overheating that much, at around 80-85 degrees celsius at max load it should've ran fine regardless of in-case temp and airflow. but it still was too hot for the faulty core i guess, that caused it to crash. or of course, another explanation would be that the temp sensors arent properly installed in the first place, reading only 85 degrees celsius when in actuality it is much higher. or maybe, in addition to that, thermal paste or the general contact area was not optimized.

but i don't care. having paid that much money for a high end card i absolutely refuse to solve the overheating issue myself. i could of course use a 3rd party program to increase fan speed or downlock the damn thing if i really wanted to. but that is absolutely beside the point now is it?
s1kb45trd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 12:54 PM   #7
weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe View Post
Malichite, do you have Republic Commando? If so, can you set the Bump Mapping (I think it was) to something above Low and it run correctly? Just curious.
SLippe, SW Republic Commando useing 177.70 now starts and plays with BumpMapping set to high. (at least in XP, cant speak for Vista)
Unfortunetly it doesnt render correctly. If your interested Ill post a couple screens in the 177.70 thread.

AMD FX-60@2.85 | Asus A8N32-SLi DLX | Gskill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ | EVGA 8800 GTS SLi @ 780/1944/1100 | WD RaptorX 150GB | Creative X-Fi Fatality FPS | Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 | Plextor 716SA DVD-RW | OCZ ProXStream 1000W| Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB | Lian-Li Pc-60 Modded | TT Hardcano 13 | Razer Copperhead Tempest | Saitek Eclipse II | XP Pro SP3
weeds is offline   Reply With Quote