Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-21-08, 04:46 PM   #1393
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Full Version Feedback Thread

In it's defence [just a little ], FSX is doing a lot in terms of rendering - how many titles allow you to circumnavigate the entire globe without any noticeable loading, or allow you to to from sea level to the outer limits of the atmosphere, revealing a true globe. Pick a fast military jet and fly strait up and watch the familiar shapes of the continents map out below you - now that's draw distance.

Take a look a Phil Taylors blogs on the amount of calculations involved with high autogen density’s, it's staggering.

There is nothing else doing this stuff, and is one reason it has limited performance..it is also hard to beat visually, esp. in respect to what it's for (it can't be compared to a FPS) just look at some of the shots here.

But having said all that, I'm sure it could be better, as one of the above posters pointed out, there is a lot of legacy code in there, which has to bog things down, but hopefully that will change for the next version.

omzig - your water is stunning, is this for DX10 only?....
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 05:25 PM   #1394
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA06 View Post
omzig - your water is stunning, is this for DX10 only?....
Why thank you

At the moment yes only DX10 as the DX10 water allows for 5 layers pluse a White cap blend texture (looks cool when the wind is up)As i use all 6 layers with diffrent textures i can get a better looking water Aces on the other hand decided to copy the same 1 texture to all 5 layers!

i have'nt had chance to alter it for DX9 but i'll have a play under DX9 in the next few days to see if i can get it looking as good as DX10 but as Dx9 only allows 3 layers i might no look as good but i can give it a try

Nice defence btw ppl know im always having a go at FSX but i hope its for the good in theend

also i know Phil T was battering on about there autogen but FSX does'nt even use DX9 instancing all that autogen batching is done on the CPU side (one reason why RTM was so slow sp1 moved all that to the 2nd core)...as for comparting it to crysis trees wise most of FSX's trees have about 8 verts as were crysis's have 1000's so no matter how you cut it FSX is'nt pushing as many poly's as crysis even if it has a massive draw distance,if you start digging in to FSX you'll see stuff from FS2002 its as fif they thought oh well thats good enought we'll just leave it in...(tracky shore waves are a case in point there next on my list to replace ) im gonna stop ranting there or i'll be typing allnight
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 02:57 AM   #1395
jasonsco

i just purchased the realair spitfire and i love it.also purchased the aerosoft hughes h-1b which is unique i must say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spitfire@lordhowe island.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	32028  
Old 06-22-08, 05:46 AM   #1396
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I love these new SHD clouds!
Yep the extra detail is great,im still making my way through the premade sets checking them out some sets look way over tweaked but beauty in the eye and all that

Getting upclose to some of the finner detailed clouds is amazing though

Ive just grabbed my mates Weather Marker RX details to give that a try out(he only uses it in FS9 and we want to see what it can do with these SHD textures)Its the wearther engine REX will be using and tims screenshots show some killer formations i have seen with FSX or ASX's weather component

i'll post some shots once i get it set up

Nice to see you have the GG crackout there slaWter its a great bird and one of the best models in FSX i do enjoy using in on some of my AU Gold and Blue coastal flights
if you want to kill all that red info text in your top right add this line under the [MAIN] section of your FSX.cfg

[MAIN]
HideInfoText=1

btw hows the 280 doing in FSX,do you still get that small micro stutter under DX10 mode?

Nice shot jasonsco is that aerosoft's lordhowe island i spy in the back ground?

Cheers
Giz,
Old 06-22-08, 07:42 AM   #1397
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. The info text is pretty useless anyway

Performance is identical to the 8800GTX or 9800GX2 so also all the bugs are still there
At least DX10 is now stable for me with newer drivers but bugs like the stuttering or runway texture flickering are still there.
Np i hate that infotext it can really spoil the best of screenshots

Glad to see that performance is matained at 8800 levels & its a shame the stutters & flashing are still there maybe chirs can cure the problem when FEX update there runway textures by rejigging the shader as i cant see them allowing a bug like that to kill there hard work....I still cant believe that Aces have abbadoned FSX in the state its in....surely someone from there team could spend a few off hours fixing up the shader problems,if it was my work id be ashamed of the state its still in

Anyhows i got WMRX in and sofar its pretty impressive,the lack of documentaion is a bit slack but it does a good job against the jep FSX engine heres a compare of Jep vs WMRX

FSX JEP

WMRX

As you can see quite a diffrence same TOD Same weather station !

I'll get some more compare if anyones interested?

Cheers
Gizmo
Old 06-22-08, 04:29 PM   #1398
Lith1um

A quick link for the Rolls Royce Merlin fans amoung us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84
Lith1um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-08, 05:54 PM   #1399
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey all

Well i remastered my water normals to 4096x4096 to see what they'ed be like FPS hit wise...& guess what like 0 fps hit for me on my 8800gts 640mb under DX10

heres a few pics HQ jpg's so the compresion doesnt kill the detail!

Edit: pics rehosted see below!

i think it looks pretty sexy so i'll be sticking with 4096 and making a few other sets

Laters
Gizmo
Old 06-23-08, 04:14 AM   #1400
SJA06
Higher Than A Kite

Staggering stuff omzig - you should have a talk with Chris about getting some of your work into FEX, as they're working on some shader mods themselves.

I never use the inbuilt Real world weather anymore, as it never reflects what I see out of my window - and like your screens it's always the density of the clouds cover that is the problem [never enough]

Looking forward to seeing the FEX weather engine...I hope it does as good a jod.

I may have offered some (weak) defence of FSX, but I think the state of the DX10 preview is shocking - why did they bother if they had no intention of tidying up it's most glaring faults.

I'm sure the leviathan that is MS could have chucked a bit more budget into sorting these things out...oh-well.
SJA06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-08, 07:44 AM   #1401
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Hey SJA06

Thanks for the kind words i agree on the DX10 thing they could have gotten someone to fix thing in an unofficial capacity,i tryed to have this out with PT over at Avsim but he just dogged the question and then the zelot mods bandded me we can only hope someone out there decided to fix these atleast the constent bitching seem to be having an effect on the Dev of FSXI even if PT things we should just all get over it

There were a few other shots showing off some of very cool water masks from GENx(one of my fav parts of it)but looks like IS is being a little temperamental not sure if that on my side or theres(Sky decided to slap a DLM on my line and is caused a few problems trying to get it removed atm)so i'll try and find another host

lets try photobucket....

I had thought about contacting chris and peter from FEX but it seems they have pretty much covered all of what im interested in replacing in FSX (expect the stuff in on/off freeware project for fsx which im now calling LSD that will be cool if i ever finish it ) i'll see how things stand after the rest of there updates are in and i might offer my work then but if there not interested i'll just create a freeware pack and throw it up on AVsim or the FTX dev board or something

I only really do this stuff for my own amusment if other ppl dig it to that cool so thanks to all you guys for the feedback,sorry to say but it looks like this is only going to be a DX10 project as i checked out the DX9 water shader last night and theres no way i can port this stuff over as there open ocean dx9 shader only uses 1 texture map which Aces use on 2 layers running crosshatch with the 2nd layer scaled up no wonder it doesnt look that great,i'll wait and see what Chris's shader replacement does maybe he'll have thought about it a little more than Aces did

Cheers
Gizmo
Old 06-23-08, 11:43 AM   #1402
yxx

Quote:
FSX takes up around 700MB over Adelaide with FTX and FEX (not the SHD version).
Overall memory usage was 31%.
k thanks for response.

I've messed around with new SHD clouds from FEX on Friday a bit........haven't been around much rest of weekend. From what I've messed around with so far they look really nice. some seem a bit over done but there is lots of options to get what you want.

one glitch I've encountered is when i choose 32bit clouds no matter what weather i use i don't have ANY weather........lol............it's just clear skies............some times the clouds pop in and out but never remain.

And nice screen shots here everyone.
yxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 12:10 PM   #1403
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzig View Post
Hey SJA06

Thanks for the kind words i agree on the DX10 thing they could have gotten someone to fix thing in an unofficial capacity,i tryed to have this out with PT over at Avsim but he just dogged the question and then the zelot mods bandded me we can only hope someone out there decided to fix these atleast the constent bitching seem to be having an effect on the Dev of FSXI even if PT things we should just all get over it

There were a few other shots showing off some of very cool water masks from GENx(one of my fav parts of it)but looks like IS is being a little temperamental not sure if that on my side or theres(Sky decided to slap a DLM on my line and is caused a few problems trying to get it removed atm)so i'll try and find another host
Looks fantastic. Great work. DX10 FSX would be perfect for me if that damn taxiway thing could be ironed out. Performance in DX10 is so much smoother and faster than DX9 in Vista it's incredible.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-08, 02:05 PM   #1404
omzig
Comfortably Numb

Thx Brady

Yep the runway flickering is a pain in the ass,it seems theres something wrong with the asphalt runway texture shader i dont think its a driver problem like Aces claim as there are a whole host of messed up shader problem in FSX maybe the guys at FEX will fix it in the upcoming update id have a go myself but im not that techy with shader code

BTW if anyone want to play with the above normal maps here a link its about 11mb in size read the readme & make sure you back up your files first!

http://rapidshare.com/files/12445010...er_Normals.zip

Laters
Gizmo