Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-08, 09:06 PM   #1
borntosoul

Default pioneer plasma and ps3.

2 months ago i bought a pioneer plasma (42in kuro) and a ps3 (40gig)

the pioneer plasma 428XDA is something else, ive been absolutely amazed by its picture quality. Its a TV that is very hard to judge in a well lit store amongst other over bright and picture saturated TVs (they set them up that way to actract attention).
but in a dimly lit room or in the dark it delivers the most jaw droppng picture ive ever seen, 2 months later im still amazed by it. its not even full HD, ive played DVDs through it and BLU ray and never once could i say i wish it was sharper. it did take a little bit of nursing while i was running it in (takes about 100-200 hours), making sure not to pause for too long or not leave black borders on for extended periods of time. i know its a little bit of a hassle but man is it worth it.

For gaming , i chose to run the t.v in completely before i hooked up my ps3, (burn in could still be a factor so a little care is required)
i connected the ps3 with a HDMI cable and it played everything without a hitch and did it in style. it is a little noisy though on quiet listening, turning up the volume fixed that.

i loaded up GTA4 and well, I was blown away! the colors are just so vibrant and deep they give a real sence of scale and contrast that make the t.v have a slight 3.d effect (its hard to explain). then i tried Gran Turismo and my jaw hit the ground. the game was sharp and fluid and never once showed a hickup. i felt i was realy there! Im a die hard pc man but i can tell you this is something else-another beast all together. this was gaming at 1024x768 on a 42 inch screen and it didnt bother me one bit. the t.v never once stumbled, i learnt real fast that resolution is not the most important factor in making a good picture. im not saying its not important, im just saying there's a lot of things that we overlook that make a great Picture. ive got assasins creed to try next and will be getting MGS asap.

with a little care you can still have best of both worlds, great movie pic quality that looks natural and deep and great looking games.
4gig kingston ddr2
lian li v1000.
borntosoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 10:05 PM   #2
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Default Re: pioneer plasma and ps3.

dude get MGS4 ASAP it will blow you away.
Old 06-23-08, 03:33 AM   #3
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntosoul View Post
2 months ago i bought a pioneer plasma (42in kuro) and a ps3 (40gig)

the pioneer plasma 428XDA is something else, ive been absolutely amazed by its picture quality. Its a TV that is very hard to judge in a well lit store amongst other over bright and picture saturated TVs (they set them up that way to actract attention).
but in a dimly lit room or in the dark it delivers the most jaw droppng picture ive ever seen, 2 months later im still amazed by it. its not even full HD, ive played DVDs through it and BLU ray and never once could i say i wish it was sharper. it did take a little bit of nursing while i was running it in (takes about 100-200 hours), making sure not to pause for too long or not leave black borders on for extended periods of time. i know its a little bit of a hassle but man is it worth it.

For gaming , i chose to run the t.v in completely before i hooked up my ps3, (burn in could still be a factor so a little care is required)
i connected the ps3 with a HDMI cable and it played everything without a hitch and did it in style. it is a little noisy though on quiet listening, turning up the volume fixed that.

i loaded up GTA4 and well, I was blown away! the colors are just so vibrant and deep they give a real sence of scale and contrast that make the t.v have a slight 3.d effect (its hard to explain). then i tried Gran Turismo and my jaw hit the ground. the game was sharp and fluid and never once showed a hickup. i felt i was realy there! Im a die hard pc man but i can tell you this is something else-another beast all together. this was gaming at 1024x768 on a 42 inch screen and it didnt bother me one bit. the t.v never once stumbled, i learnt real fast that resolution is not the most important factor in making a good picture. im not saying its not important, im just saying there's a lot of things that we overlook that make a great Picture. ive got assasins creed to try next and will be getting MGS asap.

with a little care you can still have best of both worlds, great movie pic quality that looks natural and deep and great looking games.
Why not use it as a PC monitor also? PC games tend to look a lot better than their console counterparts, so PC games should look even more stunning than PS3 ones! I'm buying a new Panasonic plasma this summer(would have gotten a Pioneer had it been available in smaller sizes) and I can't wait to finally see some decent blacks!
Old 06-23-08, 07:50 PM   #4
borntosoul

ive got my pc in a different room, im happy with that, sort gives me 2 different gaming worlds. i also have a spare sony g420 crt graphics monitor if i want better blacks for my pc. all good, what size pana plasma are you going to buy? i think theyre the two best choices out there at the moment, pio and pana.
4gig kingston ddr2
lian li v1000.
Old 06-25-08, 06:29 AM   #5
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntosoul View Post
ive got my pc in a different room, im happy with that, sort gives me 2 different gaming worlds. i also have a spare sony g420 crt graphics monitor if i want better blacks for my pc. all good, what size pana plasma are you going to buy? i think theyre the two best choices out there at the moment, pio and pana.
I think I'm going to go with the 42 inch as the 50 inchers are WAAY overpriced over here. The pz80 model in Europe is the exact same one as the pz85 model, minus the 100Hz tech, so it's a pretty easy choice. Wish I could get a nice Pioneer, but they go for 3000 + over here.
Old 06-25-08, 07:29 AM   #6
Mikit0707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
I think I'm going to go with the 42 inch as the 50 inchers are WAAY overpriced over here. The pz80 model in Europe is the exact same one as the pz85 model, minus the 100Hz tech, so it's a pretty easy choice. Wish I could get a nice Pioneer, but they go for 3000 + over here.
3000!!?!?? Holy CRAP! And I thought South Africa was over-priced in the tech department.
Old 07-03-08, 07:25 PM   #7
borntosoul

sorry this is probably too late but here goes anyway, i was lucky and bought the 42 inch pioneer at a realy good price, they were reduced to clear so i got mine for AU$2150. To give you and example the RRP for that same T.V is AU$3499.
4gig kingston ddr2
lian li v1000.