Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-08, 09:03 PM   #13
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Nvidia's secret weapon against ATI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoudazo View Post
All UE3 games use Physx though, pretty much (except for Biostink and a few other titles).
Wrong, they used Havoc which supports multiple core CPUs. Which is why some UT3 based games tax 4 cores. Bioshock used another physics engine however.

To me PhysX isn't more important than getting 95% of the GTX 280 performance for $320. Gimme a 4870.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 09:06 PM   #14
Amuro
Newtype Ace

But UT3 did show a huge FPS increase with the new 177.39 + physx driver. Why is that?
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 09:24 PM   #15
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro View Post
But UT3 did show a huge FPS increase with the new 177.39 + physx driver. Why is that?
There are only 2 maps that you have to download that support PhysX lol. Not every map even supports PhysX. So I guess the shader re-write of the driver would be the reason why UT3 has a huge FPS increase, it has nothing to do with PhysX.

The 177.39 + PhysX combo only works with G92 and GT200 series and ONLY in Vantage (which is sorta cheats cause it uses the GPU to run the Physics benchmark and not the CPU like it should) and the UT3 addon maps ("Tornado" and "LightHouse". - download here http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=1917) for PhysX.

There is no universial PhysX support for the Nvidia cards yet.

Quote:
Old 06-24-08, 09:33 PM   #16
XMAN52373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
So, their secret weapon is... cheating in 3dmark scores! Seems familiar... oh yeah the FX series.

Seriously, one game can actually use GPU physics and it needs special levels to do so. Even more, so far that game hasn't been very well adopted.(UT3)

Said plainly, this is cheating so they can boast higher 3dmark scores. Which doesn't even work since using the GPU in a CPU test is against Futuremarks rules and therefore the scores don't even count.
Until future mark takes a stand on the issue, you can't call it cheating.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 09:43 PM   #17
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
Until future mark takes a stand on the issue, you can't call it cheating.
True - but you cannot gauge Vantage scores for the CPU scores when the GPU is actually performing the test. So regardless, there are alot of entries in the ORB that will be null and void.

Looks like Futuremark is already fixing that - lol

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=192363

Quote:
Old 06-24-08, 10:50 PM   #18
XMAN52373

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
True - but you cannot gauge Vantage scores for the CPU scores when the GPU is actually performing the test. So regardless, there are alot of entries in the ORB that will be null and void.

Looks like Futuremark is already fixing that - lol

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=192363
They are doing nothing more than they have done in the past, beta drivers = not allowed, same thing they have been doing for years now. Whats the big deal. All WHQL drivers are valid. Do you think that Nvidia will not keep that in WHQL drivers? If you do, you are delusional. They will have it in their WHQL drivers which are allowed by FM, so how will it then be cheating?
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
Old 06-24-08, 11:19 PM   #19
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN52373 View Post
They are doing nothing more than they have done in the past, beta drivers = not allowed, same thing they have been doing for years now. Whats the big deal. All WHQL drivers are valid. Do you think that Nvidia will not keep that in WHQL drivers? If you do, you are delusional. They will have it in their WHQL drivers which are allowed by FM, so how will it then be cheating?
Wrong. Directly from 3D Mark Vantage Driver Approval Policy:

Quote:
Based on the specification and design of the CPU tests, GPU make, type or driver version may not have a significant effect on the results of either of the CPU tests as indicated in Section 7.3 of the 3DMark Vantage specification and whitepaper.
Its cheating.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 11:33 PM   #20
XMAN52373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Wrong. Directly from 3D Mark Vantage Driver Approval Policy:

Its cheating.
If they allow it and do not call Nvidia on it themselves, they are saying it is ok and not a cheat. I'm sorry, but until they comment on it specificly themselves, it is not NVidias fault they screwed the pouch when deciding to include PhysX into testing and then not aguementing how it was tested after Nv bought Ageia. Anyone with a brian saw this coming from Nv after they bought them, teh fact FM didn't or didn't fathom to think of this happening just goes to show how stupid they are and have become since 2k3 was first released.
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64

Old 06-24-08, 11:47 PM   #21
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Who cares who's cheating in 3DMark LOL.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 12:17 AM   #22
Tomato

All Nvidia did was allow the Physx to run on their cards. If the CPUs all of the sudden started to do video card work would the CPUs be cheating on 3DMark? Of course not it is ADDING features to a given piece of hardware. This whole line of rationalization where because a certain piece of hardware is more capable than the other, it should be normalized.

We all realize ATI has Dx10.1 support and we don't rag on ATI for supporting this. Good for them I think it is noble to support as many features as you can. Nvidia supports Physx, good for them the more they can do the better.

As for the CPU being utilized in UT games, this is due to the fact Physx will use the CPU in conjunction with GPU Physx for the best effects. Yes, Physx basically does what Havoc does on a CPU and furthur enhances it onto the GPU.

Some people make the argument that the GPU can't do Physx and Graphics at the same time, which is false.

Others make the argument that Physx can't run as fast in a game as more of the GPU is used for the game. First of all using 2 TPCs (1/5th of a GTX 280) is more power than the Ageia PPU ever had, making Physx very viable even with graphics running full bore.

Another argument has been made that the Futuremark test runs the Nvidia cards twice because of its dual functionality and does not represent real world results. Lets look at this, if the CPU can run the CPU test and the Physx test then how can the CPU not qualify for offending the same principal. For example the CPU test assumes the CPU has nothing to do other than CPU stuff, but then again during the Physx test Vantage assumes again the CPU has nothing to do but Physx, completely invalidating the point that a single piece of HW can't be used for any two different tests to their full potiental.

The point is that Vantage is a benchmark and is intended the list the potiental of the machine. Using Vantage to measure against games is not that great of an idea. If you want to know how games will run, why not try games? Lets not get bent out of shape here for Nvidia providing us with a very valuable feature which has the potiental to make games more fun.

Quite frankly I can't believe people are so upset about this.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 01:10 AM   #23
particleman

Who cares if they are cheating in 3Dmark. This whole thing just makes Futuremark's 3Dmark look even more stupid than it already does. 3Dmark has almost no credibility anymore and this will just further that point. A good synthetic benchmark should try to reflect the performance you will get in games or future games. With 3Dmark Vantage and the physx test weighed into the final score, Vantage does a horrible job of reflecting real life 3D performance.

I think there needs to be a standard physics API before a physics score should even be considered and even then I would still be skeptical about adding it. Right now, by having 3Dmark support only physx, it has basically become a nVidia only physx benchmark. It is like if someone wrote a benchmark which used only Glide or S3 S3D Metal. The S3 cards would be the fastest card in that benchmark because they would be the only one that supported that API.

3Dmark has become an even bigger joke than it already is. And I say this as a 280 GTX owner who's card gets a significant boost.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 01:19 AM   #24
mtl

Well said.
mtl is offline   Reply With Quote