Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-08, 09:37 AM   #133
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Official Unofficial OSX on your non-Apple hardware thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Alright, here's how my night went down last night.

Tried to install it for the first time and got the usual "Can not create volume error"

I tried to install it a second time with some tips I read on insanelymac and with some tips I got form watching a youtube guide on installing it. This time it got to about 6 minutes remaining and it froze. Reboot, Restart.

Third time I try, I was able to install, took about 20 minutes. It said that the install was successful and that I needed to restart. I restarted but forgot to take out the OSX disc (Are we even suppose to?) so it went to the Darwin screen. I restarted manually and took it out and made the OSX HD the bootable one. It got past the usual BIOS screen and then nothing. I got a bunch of random flashing code and words on the left side of my screen. They were just scrolling down at a fast rate. I thought it was maybe the O/S starting up but after about 5 minutes, I gave up. I figured I should try to re-install and mess with some of the kexes.

Alright, this is the fourth time and this time I change some of the kexes, mainly the ones for an. AMD processer. I try that one and it freezes during the install again.

I gave up after that point. I had too many other things to get done last night so I will try again tonight when I get home from work. I am excited about this as I am gaining ground every night. Hopefully tonight I can make it all the way through. I am eager to transfer everything over and start using this as a main O/S.
What are your specs again? I'm curious because I've noticed something. Unless you have a Core 2 or a Quad Core with an NVIDIA 8 series card, it has problems that you have to tweak. Mine went through perfectly but it does have shut down and restart problems.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 10:01 AM   #134
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
What are your specs again? I'm curious because I've noticed something. Unless you have a Core 2 or a Quad Core with an NVIDIA 8 series card, it has problems that you have to tweak. Mine went through perfectly but it does have shut down and restart problems.
My specs on the machine I am using are:

AMD Athlon 3200+ 64 single Core @ 2.0Ghz
ASUS A8N SLI Motherboard Nf4
2GB (1x2gb) Ultra RAM
7600GT KO GPU
SATA HD, SATA DVD Drive

I have been reading up, and hav joined the insanelymac forums. I am going to try to erase and re-partition my OSX HD as a MBR (Is that right) I read that the GUID is for Intel installs only. I will see where that gets me.
Old 06-25-08, 10:05 AM   #135
Bearclaw

From the step by step guide (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in...y_AMD_10_5_2):

Quote:
15) Choose a Partition scheme of 1 Partition, name the drive "Leopard" and choose the Journaled File System (not case-sensitive). Now there will be a button labeled "Options" below the big rectangle representing your drive. Click that.
16) On the resulting window, make sure MBR is checked. I realize Kalyway claims GUID will work, but its only tested on Intel. MBR worked for me, so its what I recommend.
Old 06-25-08, 10:29 AM   #136
bacon12

Quote:
Are you trying to install on an IDE or sata?

Reason I ask...
Quote:
OK, this is the part that took me literally weeks to figure out, and will make your lives so much easier, thus why I'm sharing.
1) First, the Sil3114 driver is shoddy, and the Nforce SATA non-functional, so do yourselves a favor and find a nice cheap IDE drive.
2) Set that Hard drive as the primary master. MAKE SURE TO SET THE JUMPER CORRECTLY. CABLE SELECT WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.
3) Make SURE that your DVD drive is set to the SECONDARY MASTER and that you also set that jumper correctly. Cable select again will not work.
4) Download the Kalyway 10.5.2 AMD / Intel ISO. It's available through the normal channels.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 11:22 AM   #137
six_storm

Quote:
My specs on the machine I am using are:

AMD Athlon 3200+ 64 single Core @ 2.0Ghz
ASUS A8N SLI Motherboard Nf4
2GB (1x2gb) Ultra RAM
7600GT KO GPU
SATA HD, SATA DVD Drive

I have been reading up, and hav joined the insanelymac forums. I am going to try to erase and re-partition my OSX HD as a MBR (Is that right) I read that the GUID is for Intel installs only. I will see where that gets me.
Ok, yeah try it as a MBR. That's what I've been using.
Old 06-25-08, 11:44 AM   #138
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Are you trying to install on an IDE or sata?

Reason I ask...
I know, I saw that and I tried it on SATA anyway. I am using SATA. I am going to try a few more things on this SATA drive and then get an IDE and see how it works.
Old 06-25-08, 12:00 PM   #139
bacon12

Quote:
I know, I saw that and I tried it on SATA anyway. I am using SATA. I am going to try a few more things on this SATA drive and then get an IDE and see how it works.
The nvidia sata gives me headaches on linux as well. I have suddenly had 100s of gigs of data suddenly become read only, and even lost entire partitions of data completely more than once.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 12:23 PM   #140
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
The nvidia sata gives me headaches on linux as well. I have suddenly had 100s of gigs of data suddenly become read only, and even lost entire partitions of data completely more than once.
Oh... dang. Maybe I should just go for the IDE drive then.

Old 06-25-08, 01:24 PM   #141
six_storm

You shouldn't have to use the IDE drive but who knows, it may do the trick. Also, what options are you using when installing? Have you looked through the "Custom Settings" button right before you click "Install"?
Old 06-25-08, 01:59 PM   #142
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
You shouldn't have to use the IDE drive but who knows, it may do the trick. Also, what options are you using when installing? Have you looked through the "Custom Settings" button right before you click "Install"?
Ya, I am looking through the custom options. I will type out exactley what I am using when I get home. I think I need to tinker around with those options, and change the format of the HD to MBR and then I might have better luck.
Old 06-25-08, 08:33 PM   #143
Bearclaw

****ing a. I tried all the different partition types and every time I tried to install, it gets stuck at 16 minutes.

WTF. I am sick of this... I don't even have the motivation to finish.
Old 06-25-08, 09:09 PM   #144
six_storm

Quote:
****ing a. I tried all the different partition types and every time I tried to install, it gets stuck at 16 minutes.

WTF. I am sick of this... I don't even have the motivation to finish.
I honestly just don't think it works very well with AMD CPUs. I haven't done my research on AMD+OSX (I know), but I've always heard that it works better with Intel CPUs hands down. Sorry Bearclaw, wish it worked for ya.