Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-25-08, 04:56 PM   #1

Cool 8 beeps, for future reference

Greetings again nvnews, today I would like to inform and help many people regarding a certain issue. My parents computer recently had an issue where they were getting 8 beeps and the system would not boot, not even into the bios.

I immediately tried a secondary video card and got the same result. I knew right away the motherboard was gone, but for the heck of it I checked online, and I can't tell you the number of people's posts I read asking for help, most of whom were told 8 beeps can only be a video card. Others were then misguided into thinking it was a problem with memory, power supply, etc.

If, person reading this, you ever have an issue where your system gives you 8 beeps and nothing else, and are told it is definitely the video card, you may be getting bad info. Be sure to have a secondary card ready to test, if that doesn't work, then it is very likely the video slot on your motherboard. So 8 beeps can indeed mean a bad video card, but it could also mean a bad video card slot and therefore motherboard. That is all.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 05:20 PM   #2
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: 8 beeps, for future reference

Maybe you counted the beeps wrong? Or maybe they don't have an AMI bios?

Btw. 8 beeps before boot means error with the floppy controller(and most likely damaged MB). 8 beeps during boot means dead video card.
Old 06-25-08, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Maybe you counted the beeps wrong? Or maybe they don't have an AMI bios?

Btw. 8 beeps before boot means error with the floppy controller(and most likely damaged MB). 8 beeps during boot means dead video card.
It could have been during boot, but I wouldn't know as I had no video. Regardless, 8 beeps during boot can mean video card, but it can also mean video card slot on the motherboard.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 05:51 PM   #4
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3777 View Post
It could have been during boot, but I wouldn't know as I had no video. Regardless, 8 beeps during boot can mean video card, but it can also mean video card slot on the motherboard.
Depends on the bios. You have Award, Amibios, and Phoenix (probably others), and each has their own beep codes, which differ vastly between each brand.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote