Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-11-08, 09:31 PM   #1
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Default Thinking about SuSE

Does SuSE use rpm or deb package managers?

I really hate RPM's

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 12:33 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: Thinking about SuSE

Ubuntu is where it's at.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 09:19 AM   #3
trik1

In answer to your question they use rpm's. I have used both Ubuntu and OpenSuse quite a bit , and as of Opensuse 11 I really cant tell much difference in speed or stability of the package systems. To me it really doesn't matter rpm or deb, I simply use the Package manager for 99% of my installs anyway so I never see it. On the occasion I do both have installers to handle their respected files.
trik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 11:06 AM   #4
matthew.m

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate RPMs so much?

The one thing about suse that I've found really nice is yast. It's a graphical configuration for lots of different system config files, services, etc. I'd recommend at least giving it a shot.
matthew.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 02:41 PM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Does SuSE use rpm or deb package managers?

I really hate RPM's
As has been said, package managers make all the difference these days. You likely wuldn't notice much difference using synaptic in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS, or other.

The great thing about Linux is your choice isn't bound by money. I've been known to dl 5 different distros in a week, play with them all until I find my personal taste.
Old 06-27-08, 09:21 PM   #6
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
As has been said, package managers make all the difference these days. You likely wuldn't notice much difference using synaptic in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS, or other.

The great thing about Linux is your choice isn't bound by money. I've been known to dl 5 different distros in a week, play with them all until I find my personal taste.
If you will look at the thread date, it was back in April Wanna try downloading 5 distros on dialup?

I dislike RPM's because "back in the day" ( I know, times have changed). I had Red Hat 7.2 Had so many frickin' dependencies my dialup couldn't take it That's not counting the destroyed purchases I had to replace because I got so upset at it.

Never had that problem with debs, even when I had the Debian distro (it rocked!). I do understand that nowadays the package managers are good, I still believe debs are more supported.

Although, I saw a pic last night of the new OpenSuSE 11.0 and it looks..well...the best interface I've ever seen, that includes Vista.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 10:27 PM   #7
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
If you will look at the thread date, it was back in April Wanna try downloading 5 distros on dialup?

I dislike RPM's because "back in the day" ( I know, times have changed). I had Red Hat 7.2 Had so many frickin' dependencies my dialup couldn't take it That's not counting the destroyed purchases I had to replace because I got so upset at it.

Never had that problem with debs, even when I had the Debian distro (it rocked!). I do understand that nowadays the package managers are good, I still believe debs are more supported.

Although, I saw a pic last night of the new OpenSuSE 11.0 and it looks..well...the best interface I've ever seen, that includes Vista.
It's ok, but there are things I don't really like. Mandravia is where it's at right now IMHO.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote