Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Do you get overheating issues with your GTX 280 ?
No overheating issues 57 42.22%
Yes - BGF 18 13.33%
Yes - E-VGA 31 22.96%
Yes - MSI 2 1.48%
Yes - ASUS 8 5.93%
Yes - Other (please specify) 19 14.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-08, 09:30 AM   #37
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Do you get overheating issues with your GTX 280 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
How come ? care to explain more ?
i'm at work now, so can't post my pictures, but will use this example.

Old 06-30-08, 10:39 AM   #38
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

I see .. so you basically had an overheating problem until you've messed with the fans config. still a shame to have to mess with your case's cooling just to make it adequate for the 280. this isnt suppose to happen in the first place.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 10:42 AM   #39
pingu2

several people have got replacement cards that work perfectly (and run 30 degrees C cooler than their original ones) in the same cases.. myself included..

as far as i can see there is a sizeable minority of cards that are simply broken.. (and a further minority that run hot in poorly ventilated cases)
pingu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 05:32 PM   #40
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i'm at work now, so can't post my pictures, but will use this example.
I got good cooling from just turning the same fan to blow out. It caused air to flow in to the card area and dropped temps. Just something to try .
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 07:34 PM   #41
MrHydes

this is bad news, and my conclusion is the companys that are Accepting cards in return

are the ones who have more issues

MSI = 0, ASUS = 0/1 just look at those numbers with EVGA, that's scaring

and i was thinking about step up... may have to reconsider that
SILVERSTONE TJ07 . ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME . INTEL C2D E8600@ Q822A435 . 4GB CELLSHOCK PC3 15000 . EVGA GTX 280 . WD VELOCIRAPTOR 300HLFS . CORSAIR HX 1000W . SB X-Fi FATAL1TY TITANIUM . LOGITECH WAVE . G9 LASER . Z5500 . DELL ULTRASHARP 2047WFP
Aquaero VFD . Enzotech revA . Laing DDC 12v . Black Ice GTS-Lite 360 . Swiftech Mcres Micro . 3/8"
By MrHydes®

VENDAS
feedback
Techzone
MrHydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 07:37 PM   #42
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHydes View Post
this is bad news, and my conclusion is the companys that are Accepting cards in return

are the ones who have more issues

MSI = 0, ASUS = 0/1 just look at those numbers with EVGA, that's scaring

and i was thinking about step up... may have to reconsider that
What matters is percentages of the cards that are having problems. More people buying evga cards will translate into more reported problems, all other things being equal.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 07:44 PM   #43
MrHydes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
What matters is percentages of the cards that are having problems. More people buying evga cards will translate into more reported problems, all other things being equal.
of course, anyway is too many issues reported, enough to stop me from

steping up to GTX 280
SILVERSTONE TJ07 . ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME . INTEL C2D E8600@ Q822A435 . 4GB CELLSHOCK PC3 15000 . EVGA GTX 280 . WD VELOCIRAPTOR 300HLFS . CORSAIR HX 1000W . SB X-Fi FATAL1TY TITANIUM . LOGITECH WAVE . G9 LASER . Z5500 . DELL ULTRASHARP 2047WFP
Aquaero VFD . Enzotech revA . Laing DDC 12v . Black Ice GTS-Lite 360 . Swiftech Mcres Micro . 3/8"
By MrHydes®

VENDAS
feedback
Techzone
MrHydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 12:30 AM   #44
dancid

Hey guys, I bought the EVGA gtx280 superclocked edition, and I'm having major heating problem with it. I have to turn a big floor fan into my open case for it to stay at around 170F, otherwise it goes well over 200F. Do you guys think I received a bad card? or should I just RMA and get a different manufacturer. And any suggestion on a different manufacturer if so? Now that I got the power issues resloved, it runs age of conan well, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had thermal issues or even FPS issues, or anything really. When you've no means of comparison to other cards of it's kind, you really don't know if it's operating at its full potential.

Thanks~!

PS: I know it's a overclocked version, but even when I underclock it, it doesn't really affect my thermal situation. And at it's current clock rate games seem to run fps count optimally at its default clock rate (pre-oc), Wether i underclock it or overclock it, I lose game smoothness either way. (age of conan)

Last edited by dancid; 07-01-08 at 12:35 AM. Reason: forgot a thought
dancid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-08, 05:09 AM   #45
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancid View Post
Hey guys, I bought the EVGA gtx280 superclocked edition, and I'm having major heating problem with it. I have to turn a big floor fan into my open case for it to stay at around 170F, otherwise it goes well over 200F. Do you guys think I received a bad card? or should I just RMA and get a different manufacturer. And any suggestion on a different manufacturer if so? Now that I got the power issues resloved, it runs age of conan well, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had thermal issues or even FPS issues, or anything really. When you've no means of comparison to other cards of it's kind, you really don't know if it's operating at its full potential.

Thanks~!

PS: I know it's a overclocked version, but even when I underclock it, it doesn't really affect my thermal situation. And at it's current clock rate games seem to run fps count optimally at its default clock rate (pre-oc), Wether i underclock it or overclock it, I lose game smoothness either way. (age of conan)
Just RMA it. Sounds like yet another bad one

EDIT: Saying that, 170*F is about 77*C, which is a normal operating temp for the card (but you shouldn't need a huge fan blowing on it). Have you increased the fan speed at all?
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 06:43 AM   #46
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancid View Post

Thanks~!

If underclocking does no effect then its time to RMA i guess.

man now i'm starting to worry .. i can get a E-VGA 280 today but after reading all this i really cant decide

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 08:16 AM   #47
Evil_Homer

Just got my EVGA 280GTX today. Plugged it in, idles at 40c. According to EVGA Precision, the clocks are way downclocked at idle. Tried Furmark and the temps went to a maximum 80c with an auto controlled fan speed of 60%. Ran that for over an hour no problems. Crysis never took it above 70c. Much quieter than the 9800gx2 its replacing. Overall, great card, and no more stutters in Crysis!!!
Old 07-02-08, 04:47 PM   #48
dancid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Just RMA it. Sounds like yet another bad one

EDIT: Saying that, 170*F is about 77*C, which is a normal operating temp for the card (but you shouldn't need a huge fan blowing on it). Have you increased the fan speed at all?
Yes, those gameplay temperatures are with the fan manually adjusted to 100%
dancid is offline   Reply With Quote