Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-08, 08:05 PM   #49
Redeemed

Default Re: I'm a noob at HT Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
LOLwut?

Almost everyone I know games with a 5.1 setup. Plus a lot of games use EAXHD which is X-Fi only, but not just that, anything that's OpenAL or DirectSound3D suffers on the Xonar, that's basically every game released in the past 10 years.
Crainger- this is an HTPC ONLY rig... he wont be gaming on it *at all*. In his situation such a sound card is useless.

Furthermore, not many games make proper use of EAX. Honestly speaking, the anolog 5.1 sounded better or comparable to me than when using EAX. Now, I might have been playing the wrong game to test the sound out on... but any game I play EAX is less of a benefit and more of a hassle (Vista x64 and Creative's drivers) than anything.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 08:13 PM   #50
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

REDEEMED pay attention. I'm replying to an offtopic post. That post wasn't about zapa's rig. If you check my earlier posts I recommended zapa use the onboard.

Read the whole thread before you jump in half c0cked like you normally do.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-08, 08:22 PM   #51
Redeemed

Quote:
REDEEMED pay attention. I'm replying to an offtopic post. That post wasn't about zapa's rig. If you check my earlier posts I recommended zapa use the onboard.

Read the whole thread before you jump in half c0cked like you normally do.
You're cute.

*pets fuzzy wabbit's cute widdle head*
Old 07-01-08, 08:54 PM   #52
crainger

grumble grumble grumble
Old 07-02-08, 12:13 AM   #53
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05 View Post
Ok, I'll just stick to onboard everything. It seems a lot more energy efficient and since it's all onboard, I won't have to worry about extra heat, so I'll be able to get an extra small HTPC case.

With that said, what will I do with the HID's?
Even if you don't game, the Auzentech X-Fi has HARDWARE DDL encoding which will be ideal for an HTPC because of the ability to play stereo in proper multichannel(your music will sound magically delicious). You do want awesome DTS decoding too right? DTS audio is like a different world when compared to plain jane dolby digital. Of course, the movie has to be encoded in DTS for you to play it back.
Old 07-02-08, 12:22 AM   #54
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeGod View Post
Even if you don't game, the Auzentech X-Fi has HARDWARE DDL encoding which will be ideal for an HTPC because of the ability to play stereo in proper multichannel(your music will sound magically delicious). You do want awesome DTS decoding too right? DTS audio is like a different world when compared to plain jane dolby digital. Of course, the movie has to be encoded in DTS for you to play it back.
I've always wanted to hear DDL. Supposedly my mobo supports encoding the audio in DDL (or was it DTS Connect, cannot remember now...) but I cannot seem to get it to work for Vista x64 (haven't tried the x32 version of Vista nor XP). Maybe some day...
Old 07-02-08, 12:35 AM   #55
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05

Quote:
grumble grumble grumble
/cvar_megaderail "fail"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeGod View Post
I want something that will give me everything. It's one of those things where "If I have it, I won't need it, but if I don't have it, I'll end up needing it."

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 02:32 AM   #56
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
LOLwut?

Almost everyone I know games with a 5.1 setup. Plus a lot of games use EAXHD which is X-Fi only, but not just that, anything that's OpenAL or DirectSound3D suffers on the Xonar, that's basically every game released in the past 10 years.
Umm what?

Why would they suffer? They are not getting the sound effects that come with the latest EAX versions, but instead a much more defined sound making the game seem even more realistic.

Why don't you just read the review and judge for yourself? The Asus D2X is nothing like other realtek audio processors, just because it doesn't support eax 3,4,5. There's more to sound than just EAX(and the card supports OpenAL so I don't see what you're getting at).

Old 07-02-08, 03:15 AM   #57
crainger

I did read the review. All they seem to say was "it sounds great! unless you try to use anything over than stereo or SPDIF passthrough then it sounds the same as everything else.

I'm surprised no one has noticed I've been talking out my arse for a few pages now.
Old 07-02-08, 03:29 AM   #58
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
I did read the review. All they seem to say was "it sounds great! unless you try to use anything over than stereo or SPDIF passthrough then it sounds the same as everything else.
It still doesn't sound like everything else. That's actually like saying a Denon AVR 4308 sounds the same as a low end amplifier just because they playback the same thing. (I think you're confusing quality with quantity, more sound in games, with EAX effects, doesn't equal better sound quality)

And why wouldn't the Xonar D2x sound great when using a 5.1 surround setup? It supports 24bit/192kHz over all channels so I fail to see how it would sound like crap when going from stereo to 5.1.
Old 07-02-08, 03:35 AM   #59
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05

*erhem* So....you're done now, crainger?

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 03:36 AM   #60
crainger

::

Yes zapa. Use onboard. That's all you need.