Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-02-08, 11:50 AM   #1
GrantsV

Default How many people blame KDE Gnome but dont realise its NVidia drivers????

I have been knocking Ubuntu and big distro's for extremely slow screen response and lag compared to windows. I know many, many people on forums are thinking the same thing - Linux has bad response.

I bought a new laptop with Intel video, and despite being half the spec of my main Linux workstation PC, the laptops Gnome session runs as fast as Windows. Then I purchased another PC with Ati video card and that too was as fast as Windows. Only the first PC, with NVidia video card, has terrible response (although the infamous Placement=2 line gets me a touch closer to the speed I'd expect).

Then I stumbled upon this forum and learnt that my 8600GT video card is effectively a three legged horse in Linux due some mysterious problem with the drivers/x-rendering.

I just kitted out a new business with 8 new machines and made sure none of the machines have NVidia video technology.

I am posting this message on Ubuntu forums to warn others. NVidia absolutely must get this sorted.
GrantsV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 01:21 PM   #2
macemoneta

Default Re: How many people blame KDE Gnome but dont realise its NVidia drivers????

Many people don't realize how much the Linux video situation has changed in the last year, and particularly the last 6 months. Nvidia used to be the #1 choice for Linux users, but aggressive work with the Linux community by both Intel and AMD/ATI have moved Nvidia to the #3 slot.

I only have a pair of old Nvidia laptops left; all other equipment has been shifted to Intel or AMD/ATI. All new purchases recommend only Intel or AMD/ATI video.

Installing Fedora (the Linux distribution I use) "just works" - including 3D acceleration - on many Intel or AMD/ATI based machines these days. You don't even touch the xorg.conf, and because the drivers are open sourced and included with the distribution, there's nothing to install or maintain manually. Speaking of the xorg.conf, it's not even needed anymore on recent versions of Xorg (for open source supported video). You can just delete it, and Xorg will internally generate a working configuration (yes, including accelerated 3D).

The unfortunate thing for new users is that they see the volume of historical information online indicating that Nvidia was the best choice for Linux users, and end up blaming Linux for all the problems they have getting their video to work.
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 04:52 PM   #3
_john_i_
gtx260/8200M G/DIY Linux

Default Re: How many people blame KDE Gnome but dont realise its NVidia drivers????

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta View Post

I only have a pair of old Nvidia laptops left; all other equipment has been shifted to Intel or AMD/ATI. All new purchases recommend only Intel or AMD/ATI video.
The Intel maybe, but I just got through with a losing battle with an ATI X1250 in a dell laptop. No xv, corrupt screen on any openGL app. Never again. I've never had an experience like this with any nvidia card.
_john_i_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 05:13 PM   #4
macemoneta

As with all hardware, on all platforms, you need to check compatibility before a purchase, to insure that you get the functionality you need. It takes many people many months to get Nvidia hardware working with the Nvidia proprietary driver too. There are bad choices to be had all around.
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 02:29 AM   #5
GrantsV

The cheap and basic Intel GMX3100 onboard video chip that comes with my laptop flies as fast as Windows on Ubuntu/Gnome.

My workstation with Nvidia 8600GT and double the ram/cpu speed runs like an old Pentium1 class machine, sluggish and with trails, while dragging Linux desktop windows and scrolling. But 3D is perfect, Urban Terror runs at 100fps!
GrantsV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 04:08 AM   #6
Linuxhippy

Well, at least in the case of Gnome, its at least a but of GTK's fault too
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 05:02 AM   #7
Mr.A

Smile Re: How many people blame KDE Gnome but dont realise its NVidia drivers????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
Well, at least in the case of Gnome, its at least a but of GTK's fault too
Could you explain, why you think it is a fault of GTK+?
Mr.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 06:15 AM   #8
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

GTK is, compared to other toolkits,
(and depending on the engine) rather slow.
Which parts of the code (missing usage of damage, using strange methods of drawing and filling stuff) are responsible: I don't know.
But comparing gtk to qt(3) or fox or other toolkits shows it is slow. On any kind of GPU.
A nice experiment is using gtk-engines-qt, which uses qt to draw gtk elements.
Should be slower than any native gtk engine, as it is a wrapper, but is, in fact, according to gtkperf faster.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-08, 11:57 AM   #9
praka123
Linux user

Send a message via Yahoo to praka123

thanks for letting me know.
praka123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 11:58 AM   #10
praka123
Linux user

Send a message via Yahoo to praka123

gtk3 may fix this problems hopefully.yeah ,GTK3 is yet a dream :P
praka123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 06:45 PM   #11
OVERKILL8

Send a message via ICQ to OVERKILL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsV View Post
The cheap and basic Intel GMX3100 onboard video chip that comes with my laptop flies as fast as Windows on Ubuntu/Gnome.

My workstation with Nvidia 8600GT and double the ram/cpu speed runs like an old Pentium1 class machine, sluggish and with trails, while dragging Linux desktop windows and scrolling. But 3D is perfect, Urban Terror runs at 100fps!
Does it only affect the 8600 series cards? Because my 8800 FLIES in Gnome............. But I have to have RenderAccel enabled, otherwise there is a serious performance hit.
Video: ASUS GeForce 8800GTS 512MB, 16,541 3DMark '06
Case: Lian Li PC75
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 680W
Linux: Gentoo 2.6.29 x86_64
Windows: Windows XP Pro x64 for the odd game.
OVERKILL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 02:39 AM   #12
kriko
openSuSE11

There seems to be quite unfriendly rumor against nvidia linux drivers lately - at least in desktop area.
I was quite satisfied with 2d performance when using KDE3 (geforce 7600GT).
But then I started to test KDE4. First it was slow and sluggish, so I thought - oh, maybe KDE4 is not mature enough.
Then at work I upgraded to openSuSE 11.0 with KDE4 (it's a dual pentium M workstation with cheap Intel 82945G/GZ) - I was totally blown away - KDE4 is snappy with or without effects.
I'm getting an old radeon 9250 SE out of the closet soon, hopefully it will ouperform 7600GT in desktop (SHAME!).
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote