Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-08, 07:25 PM   #1
Medion

Default ASUS RMA vs. Better Business Bureau

Background:

I hada socket 939 nForce 4 SLI mobo from ASUS. The chipset fans had a reputation for dyring often, and mine was no exception. The first time my fan died, the onboard audio became unusable. The 2nd time, the mobo itself was done. After sending me one fan, ASUS told me the 2nd time that "We only honor the warranty as a courtesy" and denied me warranty service. I was livid. I built a new rig since I couldn't find a decent S939 mobo. Well...that was my excuse anyway

Enter the BBB:

Out of pure spite, I sent a letter to the BBB. I didn't want or expect ASUS to fix the issue. I just wanted a negative mark on their record, which they so richly deserve. I received a phone call from ASUS today asking if they said they could fix the issue. They were willing to issue me an RMA for my mobo. I told them that I no longer needed the mobo since I replaced it with one from a more reliable vendor. Also, given the horror stories I've heard from people about ASUS sending back the same defective board, there was no way I was spending my money on shipping it to them just to get it back, so they offered me a paid label. I'll still have to pay for the packaging.

When I get the mobo back, I'll put it on my workbench and see if it posts. If it gets that far, I'll install XP on it to make sure it's stable, including audio. After that, who knows, maybe Ebay. If it doesn't work though, let's just say that I won't be surprised.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 08:23 PM   #2
styles-T
-========-

Default Re: ASUS RMA vs. Better Business Bureau

Nicely done. It's good to know that the BBB can actually make a difference against a huge corporation. I heard of it working before but on a much smaller business scale.
Old 06-26-08, 08:33 PM   #3
CAUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
Background:

I hada socket 939 nForce 4 SLI mobo from ASUS. The chipset fans had a reputation for dyring often, and mine was no exception. The first time my fan died, the onboard audio became unusable. The 2nd time, the mobo itself was done. After sending me one fan, ASUS told me the 2nd time that "We only honor the warranty as a courtesy" and denied me warranty service. I was livid. I built a new rig since I couldn't find a decent S939 mobo. Well...that was my excuse anyway

Enter the BBB:

Out of pure spite, I sent a letter to the BBB. I didn't want or expect ASUS to fix the issue. I just wanted a negative mark on their record, which they so richly deserve. I received a phone call from ASUS today asking if they said they could fix the issue. They were willing to issue me an RMA for my mobo. I told them that I no longer needed the mobo since I replaced it with one from a more reliable vendor. Also, given the horror stories I've heard from people about ASUS sending back the same defective board, there was no way I was spending my money on shipping it to them just to get it back, so they offered me a paid label. I'll still have to pay for the packaging.

When I get the mobo back, I'll put it on my workbench and see if it posts. If it gets that far, I'll install XP on it to make sure it's stable, including audio. After that, who knows, maybe Ebay. If it doesn't work though, let's just say that I won't be surprised.
Cool Medion keep us posted.
2X BFG GTX295's in Quad SLI
9800GT for dedicated PhysX
TOPOWER 1200 Watts Power Supply SLI Ready!
Western Digital SATA-150GB-Raptor
2X Western Digital SATA-500GB-Caviar SE in RAID 0
CM COSMOS S Custom Case
2X Gateway XHD3000 30" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor

Notebook: HP Pavilion dv9820us
CAUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 08:41 PM   #4
Bearclaw

Nice. Keep us updated. I have been using an ASUS 939 board for about 2 1/2 years now and luckily the fans haven't died yet.
Old 06-26-08, 10:42 PM   #5
Medion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Nice. Keep us updated. I have been using an ASUS 939 board for about 2 1/2 years now and luckily the fans haven't died yet.
Basically, having pets kills them. If a hair gets sucked in and wraps around the base of the fan, it's stuck. The fan spins fast, but doesn't have a lot of power, so it doesn't take much to "clog" it.

Since they denied me the 2nd fan, I actually removed the 2nd one, blew it out with canned air, then hit it with WD-40. Sure enough, it worked like a charm. The fans don't die, they just get clogged.
Old 06-27-08, 12:24 AM   #6
mullet

I had a Nforce 4 board to but I researched the board as I always do and I found that the plastic fan was a pile of crap so I ordered a $8.99 copper low profile with 60mm fan and installed it when I took the board out of the box brand new. The board is still running. I have done the same thing on my new P5E X38 board that had a copper looking (aluminum) HS on the NB and SB. I have a thermal hand held probe I use to see my progress due to now having a thermal sensor on the NB or SB. I shaved about 25F off the NB temps and 12F off the SB. I am not a fan of all this heat pipe crap for motherboards I would rather have a good thermalright or forged copper HS.

2 cents
Old 06-30-08, 01:54 PM   #7
dandano
hardware antiquarian

I have a socket 939 Asus board too, and I just replaced the fan for the second or third time. Not sure. Yes I have pets, so those fans are going to die. Also, I keep the case on the floor, which I know doesn't help. The replacement fan costs around $5 on the asus usa site. I don't really see it as a reason not to use Asus products. I can afford to spend $5-20 every year or two to keep my system running. It's been very reliable for me, other than the fan problem. I *never* sent it in for rma. I knew the fan was going each time, and knew I could replace it myself.

I think it's great that you got results by going to the BBB, and I am appalled that they would call Warranty "just a courtesy." But I don't think it's fair to write off Asus completely. They seem as good as the other mobo makers I've dealt with, and I've dealt with a few over the years.

Okay, 2 cents spent.
Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 | Asus P6X58D-E | Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB SATA (Windows 7 Pro) | LiteOn iHES208 BluRay DVD Burner SATA | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Corsair HX650 PSU 3.3v(24A) 5v(30A) 12v(52A) | Lian Li PC-60 Plus case with window (black) | Monsoon 2.1 Speakers | Dell UltraSharp U2410 LCD (1920x1200@60Hz)
dandano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 06:35 PM   #8
Medion

Finally got a day off work, so went to Kinkos and mailed off the mobo. Before doing so, I removed the HS/F, marked it with a sharpie, and took down the number. I also took a photo of it. Did the same on the mobo's backplate.

If they send me back the same mobo, I'll know it.