Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-08, 05:59 PM   #61
particleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 370
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Well I just picked up 2 4870s today to see what all the hype is about and I am severly disappointed. I am way happier with the 650 I spent on my 280 GTX than the 600 I spent on 2 4870s. In Crysis although 2x 4870's are supposed to have a higher average framerate, the game felt much smoother on my 280 GTX, I suspect this is because of the microstuttering and a higher minimum framerate on my 280 GTX. Also the heat coming from 2 cards makes my room uncomfortably warm. 1 280 GTX generates a lot of heat but a 4870 is almost just as hot and there are 2 of them.

Plus there is still the issue of the blocky shadows in DX9 games which use nVidia's Ultra shadow. Crossfire is also still too buggy, I have experienced various issues with games I play like some games getting stuck loading etc.

Don't buy into the Hype 1x 280 GTX > 2x 4870
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 06:22 PM   #62
MisterMister
Registered User
 
MisterMister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 118
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Wow, for that price Im picking up a pair of GTX260s! Talk about a killer rig!

...anyone want to buy a pair of very slightly used EVGA 9600GT SC's? I swear they have only been driven to church on Sundays by an old lady!
__________________
Ultra M998 mid-ATX case
SilenX 650W 14dB SLI Power Supply Unit
Nvidia/EVGA 780i tri-SLi motherboard
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.4GHz (3.6 for benchmarking)
2GB OCZ ReaperX HPC Edition PC9200 DDR2 RAM (2x1GB)
2x EVGA 9600GT SC in SLI (750/1100Mhz over-clock)
2x WD Raptor HDD (1x 36GB; 1x 74GB)
Samsung Spinpoint HDD (250GB)
Thermalright TRUE-120 w/ dual 120mm fans in push-pull config.
Windows Vista Home Professional w/ SP1 (32-bit)
Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20" LCD display (1680x1050)

3DMark06: 17,420 Points
MisterMister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 02:58 AM   #63
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger
 
Mr_LoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangor North Wales UK
Posts: 5,204
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMister View Post
Wow, for that price Im picking up a pair of GTX260s! Talk about a killer rig!

...anyone want to buy a pair of very slightly used EVGA 9600GT SC's? I swear they have only been driven to church on Sundays by an old lady!
Which means the oil wouldn't have been changed, the gears would have been crunched and there would be all sort on bumps and scrapes. No thanks.
__________________
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:00 AM   #64
Roliath
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMister View Post
Wow, for that price Im picking up a pair of GTX260s! Talk about a killer rig!
Can't Step Up?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:37 AM   #65
hell_of_doom227
Registered User
 
hell_of_doom227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Well I just picked up 2 4870s today to see what all the hype is about and I am severly disappointed. I am way happier with the 650 I spent on my 280 GTX than the 600 I spent on 2 4870s. In Crysis although 2x 4870's are supposed to have a higher average framerate, the game felt much smoother on my 280 GTX, I suspect this is because of the microstuttering and a higher minimum framerate on my 280 GTX. Also the heat coming from 2 cards makes my room uncomfortably warm. 1 280 GTX generates a lot of heat but a 4870 is almost just as hot and there are 2 of them.

Plus there is still the issue of the blocky shadows in DX9 games which use nVidia's Ultra shadow. Crossfire is also still too buggy, I have experienced various issues with games I play like some games getting stuck loading etc.

Don't buy into the Hype 1x 280 GTX > 2x 4870
I'm saying and i said HD4870 is over hyped. I don't care what bench numbers say, but the performance and game play with ATI HD4870 is not even close to GTX280.
__________________
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse
OS: Windows 7 x64

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:12 PM   #66
shabby
Forcefed GXP
 
shabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,138
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
I'm saying and i said HD4870 is over hyped. I don't care what bench numbers say, but the performance and game play with ATI HD4870 is not even close to GTX280.
Why are you even comparing the two when they're not in the same price segment, the gtx260 is more in line with the 4870 and both are pretty much neck and neck. Pull the green blindfolds off your eyes...
__________________
2500k/Asus P67-Pro/8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3/X25-M/p190
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:27 PM   #67
Jas28
Registered User
 
Jas28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 88
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
Why are you even comparing the two when they're not in the same price segment, the gtx260 is more in line with the 4870 and both are pretty much neck and neck. Pull the green blindfolds off your eyes...
Agreed.....some people just see things in on color. Pretty sad really....
__________________
Intel Core i7 860 @3.85GHz w/ Corsair H50
MSI P55-CD53
4Gb A-DATA DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Superclocked 1280MB GDDR5
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Windows 7 64-Bit
Jas28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:22 PM   #68
Drax
Registered User
 
Drax's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 130
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

He's comparing 2 4870's which are in the same price range as a single GTX280, which to some might be a one option versus another purchase scenario. This is also telling of how well the 4870 X2 will perform, so stop attacking. This is actually rather informative.

The stuttering is probably mostly for the same reasons the 9800X2's stutter. Even if it is GDDR5, you're still stuck with 512 megs of ram and a 256 memory bus, just much faster ram.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-08, 03:36 PM   #69
K007
 
K007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia, Sydney
Posts: 9,406
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

unfortunately xfire can be a missfire compared to SLI.

AMDATi has a good card on there hands, now they need to get there xfire drivers upto scratch...without it..buying an X2/Xfire setup is very very risky..and i'd rather buy a GTX280 than 2x4870...for the moment....

I have seen some reviews and when Xfire works..its fantastic..but when it dosen't...its really bad..

So if your going single gpu..then 4870 is a good choice, but if ure going to xfire 4870...then its better to put that money into a gtx280. added bonuses include higher ram, probably a card that will last a really long time, phyx & cuda, also the cooler is alot better.

Apart from the cost on the 280...the power connectors on them is a bit ridiculous...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:42 PM   #70
MisterMister
Registered User
 
MisterMister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 118
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roliath View Post
Can't Step Up?
Out of time

Also, you need X-fire to make ATis offerings on par, performance wise, with Nvidia's GTX280. For someone like me, X-fire is a no go due to the motherboard they are using. Hence Nvidia is the better choice, regardless.
__________________
Ultra M998 mid-ATX case
SilenX 650W 14dB SLI Power Supply Unit
Nvidia/EVGA 780i tri-SLi motherboard
Intel Q6600 quad core @ 3.4GHz (3.6 for benchmarking)
2GB OCZ ReaperX HPC Edition PC9200 DDR2 RAM (2x1GB)
2x EVGA 9600GT SC in SLI (750/1100Mhz over-clock)
2x WD Raptor HDD (1x 36GB; 1x 74GB)
Samsung Spinpoint HDD (250GB)
Thermalright TRUE-120 w/ dual 120mm fans in push-pull config.
Windows Vista Home Professional w/ SP1 (32-bit)
Samsung SyncMaster 206BW 20" LCD display (1680x1050)

3DMark06: 17,420 Points
MisterMister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 08:20 AM   #71
radeonred
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drax View Post


Even if it is GDDR5, you're still stuck with 512 megs of ram and a 256 memory bus, just much faster ram.

And you like many others still do not seem to get it.
radeonred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 08:33 AM   #72
Thunderbolt56
Gladiusdoctori
 
Thunderbolt56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 198
Default Re: Wow!! Major price drop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
I can't find a gtx 260 Crysis benchmark on high. Anyone know where I can find one?
Not really high (no AA):

Thunderbolt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WoW: Vivendi May Be Looking To Sell Activision-Blizzard News Archived News Items 0 06-08-12 05:20 AM
Blizzard Beats Early WoW Blues With Cross-Server Zones News Archived News Items 0 05-11-12 05:40 AM
Wow Iphones are weak. Roadhog Mobile Devices And Smartphones 9 05-03-12 09:59 PM
Wow sytaylor General Hardware 15 10-10-02 07:31 AM
vietcong..wow thcdru2k Gaming Central 9 10-08-02 12:36 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.