akimalahey
GTX 470 SOC @ Gentoo

Default Re: nVidia 8000/9000 Series Performance Issues

Leadtek 8800 GTS 512
Q6600 @ 4x3.2 ghz
8GB DDR2 800

Driver: 173.14.09
Distribution: Gentoo ~amd64 Stage 1

Hardly problems with 2D or 3D acceleration. Compiz Fusion is running smooth. You have to disable "Detect Refresh Rate" within ccsm (compiz settings tool) and set your refresh rate manually. If it is allready set to 60 (for example) but Compiz is stil stuttering just set it to 59 and go back to 60. Otherwise it is not used. This is how it works for me

*edit*
Compiz also runs a bit smoother when you enable sync whether in nvidia-settings or ccsm, not both!

In rare cases Firefox scrolls slowly but it is depending on the website. Normally it scrolls perfect.

I hope my english is not too bad
akimalahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 09:50 AM   #14
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by akimalahey View Post
Leadtek 8800 GTS 512
Q6600 @ 4x3.2 ghz
8GB DDR2 800

Driver: 173.14.09
Distribution: Gentoo ~amd64 Stage 1

Hardly problems with 2D or 3D acceleration. Compiz Fusion is running smooth. You have to disable "Detect Refresh Rate" within ccsm (compiz settings tool) and set your refresh rate manually. If it is allready set to 60 (for example) but Compiz is stil stuttering just set it to 59 and go back to 60. Otherwise it is not used. This is how it works for me

*edit*
Compiz also runs a bit smoother when you enable sync whether in nvidia-settings or ccsm, not both!

In rare cases Firefox scrolls slowly but it is depending on the website. Normally it scrolls perfect.

I hope my english is not too bad
Now open up a terminal and resize it. Tell me how that goes. Don't cheat, use opaque resizing like the rest of us.
xsolarwindx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 10:23 AM   #15
akimalahey
GTX 470 SOC @ Gentoo

Normal: sucks a lot
Outline, Rectangle, Stretch: smooth

Yes resizing is a problem with Compiz but Compiz is not choppy and laggy in general. It is not that bad without Compiz but could be a bit fast
akimalahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 11:02 AM   #16
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by akimalahey View Post
Normal: sucks a lot
Outline, Rectangle, Stretch: smooth

Yes resizing is a problem with Compiz but Compiz is not choppy and laggy in general. It is not that bad without Compiz but could be a bit fast
That's exactly what I mean. My 2MB 10 year old ATI PCI card can do outline mode resizing just as smooth. It's the opaque resizing I'm talking about.
Old 07-07-08, 11:39 AM   #17
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Compiz window resizing is slow for a number of reasons mostly related to the inefficient way that the X server resizes redirected windows. Performance should be significantly better with InitialPixmapPlacement=2, except that most window decorators use currently-unaccelerated convolution filters for their shadows, bogging it down. Please try solid resizing with IPP=2 and the window decorator disabled, to see how much of an effect it has. Improving the performance of convolution filters and redirected window resizing in general is something we're working on for future driver releases.

Also, you should see a significant improvement in redirected window resizing performance with IPP=1 if you use one of the xserver 1.5 prereleases.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 11:59 AM   #18
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Compiz window resizing is slow for a number of reasons mostly related to the inefficient way that the X server resizes redirected windows. Performance should be significantly better with InitialPixmapPlacement=2, except that most window decorators use currently-unaccelerated convolution filters for their shadows, bogging it down. Please try solid resizing with IPP=2 and the window decorator disabled, to see how much of an effect it has. Improving the performance of convolution filters and redirected window resizing in general is something we're working on for future driver releases.

Also, you should see a significant improvement in redirected window resizing performance with IPP=1 if you use one of the xserver 1.5 prereleases.
Thanks, I'll try that. But its funny how X's inefficient way works so well with ATI, isn't it? Also, why is KDE4 all-round performance SO HORRIBLE?
Old 07-07-08, 12:28 PM   #19
OVERKILL8

Send a message via ICQ to OVERKILL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsolarwindx View Post
What card and driver do you have?

I'm going to try these 177 drivers now. And yes, performance tends to be relative, but I think we all know what we mean when we say that KDE4 is unbearable or scrolling in firefox takes half a minute to render a frame or compiz fusion is choppy when minimizing/maximizing.

I've been using windows on my dual boot setup JUST because of this issue. On windows, resizing complicated windows is a snap and 2D performance is awesome as well as 3D performance. I would be on Linux if that were the case over there...

8800GTS 512, 177.13 drivers.
Video: ASUS GeForce 8800GTS 512MB, 16,541 3DMark '06
Case: Lian Li PC75
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 680W
Linux: Gentoo 2.6.29 x86_64
Windows: Windows XP Pro x64 for the odd game.
OVERKILL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 12:34 PM   #20
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that. But its funny how X's inefficient way works so well with ATI, isn't it?
Not really. Last I checked (which was admittedly a while ago), other X drivers pinned windows' backing pixmaps into system memory when a GL-based composite manager was running, forcing all rendering to happen in software and requiring an expensive texture upload every time a window changed. This has the side effect of making the resize operation slightly faster. The NVIDIA driver does the opposite, pinning pixmaps in video memory, making normal rendering much, much faster but making resizes slower. As I mentioned before, we're working to improve the resize case.

Quote:
Also, why is KDE4 all-round performance SO HORRIBLE?
KDE4 does a few things differently that trigger frequent software fallbacks in the driver. We're working to accelerate these cases.

Old 07-07-08, 12:55 PM   #21
xsolarwindx

Quote:
Not really. Last I checked (which was admittedly a while ago), other X drivers pinned windows' backing pixmaps into system memory when a GL-based composite manager was running, forcing all rendering to happen in software and requiring an expensive texture upload every time a window changed. This has the side effect of making the resize operation slightly faster. The NVIDIA driver does the opposite, pinning pixmaps in video memory, making normal rendering much, much faster but making resizes slower. As I mentioned before, we're working to improve the resize case.

KDE4 does a few things differently that trigger frequent software fallbacks in the driver. We're working to accelerate these cases.
Thanks for the response and I really hope a fix will be around. Do you have an estimate when the new drivers will be out? 1 month? 2 months? 6 months? 1 year?
Old 07-07-08, 01:08 PM   #22
hyfans

Quote:

that's another good news today
hyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 01:59 PM   #23
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Thanks for the response and I really hope a fix will be around. Do you have an estimate when the new drivers will be out? 1 month? 2 months? 6 months? 1 year?
No, I can't give any estimates, sorry.
Old 07-07-08, 02:17 PM   #24
OVERKILL8

Send a message via ICQ to OVERKILL8

Quote:

Just for fun, I tried this option and it absolutely KILLED my X performance. On "1", it FLIES, 2 is awful. VERY WEIRD!!!
Video: ASUS GeForce 8800GTS 512MB, 16,541 3DMark '06
Case: Lian Li PC75
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 680W
Linux: Gentoo 2.6.29 x86_64
Windows: Windows XP Pro x64 for the odd game.
OVERKILL8 is offline   Reply With Quote