Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-08-08, 03:08 AM   #97
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

Default Re: I'm a noob at HT Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05 View Post
Pfft, who needs manuals when everything is automatic by the push of a button? I'll see what they're for. I'm pretty sure the eSATA is for external storage. I know flash drives wont work as storage devices. When I put it in the box, nothing happened. When I put it in my computer, I had a bunch of weird files and documents that weren't in there before.
Classic ZapaFAIL right there
Old 07-08-08, 04:58 PM   #98
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05

Ok, the eSATA is enabled on my box for extra storage space. So, back to the audio stuff. My box only has 1 optical and 1 coaxial output. If I get the Z-5500's, will I have to hook the toslink cable from the speakers to the TV, from the TV to the cable box, or from the speakers to the cable box?

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 05:43 PM   #99
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Either should work, direct from cable to speakers is fewer cables, but you might lose audio sync, if that happens run it through the TV. I had this issue with my old DVD player, running the audio through the TV let the TV handle the sync and I was good to go. This is one big issue using PC speakers for HT. Very few have advanced controls for these little setbacks.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 05:57 PM   #100
Zapablast05

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Either should work, direct from cable to speakers is fewer cables, but you might lose audio sync, if that happens run it through the TV. I had this issue with my old DVD player, running the audio through the TV let the TV handle the sync and I was good to go. This is one big issue using PC speakers for HT. Very few have advanced controls for these little setbacks.
So, I should just run the HDMI cable to the TV from the cable box, and the SPDIF Optical cable from the TV to the speakers?

Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Old 07-08-08, 06:23 PM   #101
crainger

If that works yes. Some TVs cannot route the HDMI audio through to optical/coax though. Mine can't at the moment, but an up coming firmware update will fix this. If yours can then it's an ideal solution.
Old 07-08-08, 06:33 PM   #102
Zapablast05

Well, right now, I'm using RCA Audio cables from the TV to my audio receiver. Seems to work well, only thing is that the TV's speakers still work as well as the receivers speakers. What TV/cable receiver do you use? My cable receiver is a Motorola DCH3416 and my TV is a Westinghouse TX42F430S.

Old 07-08-08, 07:18 PM   #103
crainger

Off the top of my head I can't recall model numbers, but my TV is a 40" Philips with the Ambilights and my 'reciever' is a LG HD STB with 250gb HDD. It just receives free to air HD as cable/satellite pricing here is a little crazy, even worse for the new HD stuff.

I run the co-ax from the STB to the TV, then from the TV to my 5500z. The PS3 and 360 both run optical to a digital switcher (cheap Joytech one) then to the 5500z. My HTPC uses the 3 plug analogue on the 5500z. Video, everything runs direct to the TV, HTPC and PS3 on HDMI, STB and 360 on component. I works ok for me, was cheap, but I'm pushing this setup to it's limits now. ::
Old 07-08-08, 08:32 PM   #104
Zapablast05

Can I see a picture of it? I need to get an image of how I'll be able to do it. I'm running my cable box and 360 via HDMI and my soon-to-come PS3 via HDMI. My TV only has 4 HDMI, 2 HD Component, 1 Optical, and a bunch of RCA A/V I/O's. My cable receiver has 1 HDMI, 1 Co-ax, 1 Optical, and RCA A/V I/O's. I took pictures so I can show you what I have and so you guys can help me how to hook it all up.

Old 07-08-08, 10:07 PM   #105
Bman212121

If it works how I think it should, all you should have to do is connect your peripherals to the TV via HDMI and then connect the optical out from the tv to your z5500 speakers. In an ideal world it should take all of the 5.1 input sources from the HDMI cables (HDMI carries audio and video) and output it to the optical out in 5.1. Hard to say if it's going to work that way or not. If it does then that is probably the best setup because it is really easy to setup and use.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 01:09 AM   #106
Zapablast05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
If it works how I think it should, all you should have to do is connect your peripherals to the TV via HDMI and then connect the optical out from the tv to your z5500 speakers. In an ideal world it should take all of the 5.1 input sources from the HDMI cables (HDMI carries audio and video) and output it to the optical out in 5.1. Hard to say if it's going to work that way or not. If it does then that is probably the best setup because it is really easy to setup and use.
My guess is that it will work because right now, I have my audio system hooked up to the TV via A/V jacks, so it's like this:

[cable box]--HDMI--[TV]--A/V jacks--(surround system)

If I attach the Z-5500's to the loop, it should look something like this:

[cable box]--HDMI--[TV]--Optical--(Z-5500)

Basically, I'm replacing the surround system with the Z-5500 and the cable from the TV to the speakers with S/PDIF Optical?

Another thing, I've read a lot about how short the speaker wires are for the Z-5500, will these work to replace them or do they have to be a certain gauge?

Old 07-09-08, 03:08 AM   #107
crainger

That speaker wire should work. The cables are a little short, nowhere near as bad as the 680 wires though. That's shocking! They can't be any longer than 3m. ::
Old 07-09-08, 03:58 AM   #108
Zapablast05

So the I'll be set with that spool of speaker wire and the Z-5500? I'll have to buy an optical cable too, right?